INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod - Video files trying to play as audio files  (Read 1432 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
iPod - Video files trying to play as audio files
« on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:33 am »

I have MP4 video files synced to the iPod. They play OK as video, but also show up as music (audio).  Under Music, they try to play as audio files (no video output), but usually get hung up and I have to reset the iPod. 

Media Type = Video
Media Sub-Type = Music Video

This is with a 5th generation 80gb iPod with firmware version 1.2.1.  MC version is 12.0.195.  It is not related to MC 12.0.195 as I was able to duplicate this issue with another iPod that was synced about 30 days ago with an older version of MC12.

RFB

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: iPod - Video files trying to play as audio files
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:57:12 pm »

It's my understanding that this is actually a feature, believe it or not.  The idea is to be able to listen to the music from a music video without the video portion playing.

Checking my iPod, I have exactly one music video on there, Johnny Cash' "Hurt", and yes, I'm able to confirm that it also appears under Music.  Selecting it from that section just plays the audio.

Rick

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:54:07 pm »

It's my understanding that this is actually a feature, believe it or not.  The idea is to be able to listen to the music from a music video without the video portion playing.

Checking my iPod, I have exactly one music video on there, Johnny Cash' "Hurt", and yes, I'm able to confirm that it also appears under Music.  Selecting it from that section just plays the audio.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks... Features are good, but sometimes they look like bugs.

Can anyone confirm if this is the way iPods are supposed to work (e.g. is this what happens if you sync from iTunes)?  If that's the way iTunes does it, MC must by definition be correct.

I will do further testing to try to figure out why sometimes the iPod hangs.  Maybe I just need to be more patient & give it some time.

Randy

Sara21183

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 11:11:12 am »

I just got a 5.5 80gb ipod yesterday and have not synched with mc12 yet, only itunes. Right now all I've got on the ipod is music videos and video podcasts and yes the music videos show up under music and I can listen to them without seeing the video. I don't know why yours is hanging, but all mine play fine.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 11:24:15 am »

I just got a 5.5 80gb ipod yesterday and have not synched with mc12 yet, only itunes. Right now all I've got on the ipod is music videos and video podcasts and yes the music videos show up under music and I can listen to them without seeing the video. I don't know why yours is hanging, but all mine play fine.

Thanks for the information.

I have multiple iPods.  I tested it again the other day on my wifes iPod & it was still hanging. I tested it again today on my iPod and it works just fine.  The difference is I recently did an initialize & full sync of my iPod.  My wifes iPod has been going through incremental syncs for the past few months.  I don't think I've initialized it since January. I know Apple did some db changes recently, that is probably the root cause of my issue.

Thanks...
Pages: [1]   Go Up