INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS devices  (Read 1945 times)

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
NAS devices
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:30:13 am »

anyone got any first hand experience with different NAS devices?

Just looking at single or possibly double drive devices. Seen a today that were basically just external cases but also provided network access and was wondering if there was any diff between them all, any issues to watch out for etc.

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: NAS devices
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 06:34:51 am »

I had a good look but ended up just adding more drives internally to my HTPC and sharing them - the NAS devices did not seem great Value for Money to me.
JRiver CEO Elect

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 02:04:40 pm »

I used a Ximeta NetDisk for several years. Still have it but use it USB now. It was great when I had an all Windows network, but when I got a Mac I found out I would have to reformat it to FAT32 and then I still would only be able to assign write privileges to one computer at a time. It was nice, though, because it worked like a local drive--you didn't have to map anything, but you did have to install a driver on any computer that was going to use it.

Since adding a Mac to my network, I switched to a WD NetCenter. It works just as well as the Netdisk, but it's noticeably slower. Fast enough for music, but video is choppy if I try to run it off the NetCenter. This one also acts as a print server (I don't use that feature) or you can plug 2 more USB HD's to add them to the network. If the USB drive is formatted FAT32, it becomes read/write, NTFS is read-only.

Sue

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
  • You don't know what you're missing until its gone
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 04:31:40 pm »

Hi,

I've got a QNAP NAS TS-201 in my (all Windows) network with 2 320GB disks. Bought it his year and am quite pleased with it so far. The user interface is a bit spartan and needs some getting used to but is stable.

Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up