INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist-editor's uncomfortable dropdown-lists  (Read 1993 times)

winniew

• World Citizen
Smartlist-editor's uncomfortable dropdown-lists
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:45:23 am »

I personally don't like the interface in the new smartlisteditor with the endless dropdown-lists, where the navigation is very uncomfortable:

The old way with a popup-window with a tree-list is more userfriendly.
It is used in the viewscheme-Edit (Step 4).

Is it possible to use the "old" GUI for the smartlist-Editor?
I would like it.

Winnie

Hallgregor

• Recent member
Re: Smartlist-editor's uncomfortable dropdown-lists
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:59:45 am »

I agree

keefycub

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:32:05 pm »

I asked this very same question (not to just have the old one, but *both* ways, that you could toggle) and was told the Big Company That Pays The Bills wouldn't have the old way, so we're basically out of luck.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 01:30:09 pm »

I'm a JRiver customer, too, and i'd also like to have at least the choice between the two styles of navigation.

The "new" dropdown list are fine for a few entries, but they get _really_ annoying with large lists, like for example "Artists". Another mayor annoyance is that the dropdown lists are not responding correctly to keypresses. If i have a large list, and i type, for example, the key "m" to get to the items starting with that letter, and press another letter right after the "m", like for example "e", the list will not jump to the "me" entries, but back to the ones starting with "e". This makes selecting entries in long lists a PITA.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 01:55:51 pm »

We're planning to make the drop-down the same list control from the old dialog.

And we're making the smartlist changes because we think they're right -- not because of one of our partners. 

We're happy to listen to feedback, but please be respectful.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:10:10 pm »

In the mean time just click the import button import and you can type away (almost) like before.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:18:34 pm »

Matt, in case you were referring to my statement: i didn't mean to be disrespectful. If you implement something like the smartlist editor, that's using gui structures that are not like anything else in your application, you have to be prepared for some complaints. ;) In its current form, the editor looks quite unfinished, and "slapped on".

I'm aware of the fact that i can use the "import" function to enter strings, but that's really just a workaround. It's like going back to the stone age. With that workaround, i have to type exact strings - hard to do for a large library ("wildcard" strings seem to slow down smartlist processing, so i'm trying to not use them).
Pages: [1]   Go Up