INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Want a Little Radio Station  (Read 1936 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
I Want a Little Radio Station
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:18:35 pm »

You know how you can buy those FM Radio transmitters for your iPod in the car, so that if your car stereo doesn't have any direct inputs and you don't have a tape player you can just tune to the station you set the little thingymabob to and all is good and right in the world (or at least in the car)?

Well... I want one for my house.  I'd like to hook one of these up to my HTPC so that whatever I send into it gets broadcast on the selected empty station.  Obviously the little iPod devices with their puny 8' range isn't going to cut it -- I want to use this mostly in the back yard on a radio, or in the basement.  However, I also obviously don't want the FCC to come-a-knockin' (though I'm sure that I could certainly cover my small 1 acre plot within the limits that the FCC sets for unlicensed FM radio power).

My question is... How the heck would I do this?  I've looked a few times around, but I don't even really know where to start.  Most of the stuff I have found looks very sketchy and hobbyist.  It's fine if I have to put something together a little bit (I'm a tinkerer anyhow) but I want the thing to work and not get me in trouble, and I don't have a whole huge pile of money to spend on it.

Any suggestions from the kind souls here?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I Want a Little Radio Station
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:52:47 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:53 pm »

My pleasure. I was thinking of getting it also.... ;-)

M.

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:34:04 pm »

Thanks for the links!

I have one, actually from this outfit:

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/2007-stereo-transmitter-card-p-968.html

Let me tell you--it's the greatest thing in the world!!  I love having it and use it in several different locations throughout my (albeit small) house.

That said, i've had my fair share of frustrations with the device--like many HW/SW manufacturers, they have pretty much been using their buyers as beta testers.  I have a 2005 model, and after that they corrected a problem with bumping over 15KHz, but it's not like i got a free upgrade.  Had some trouble with their software/drivers as well.

In any case, i've been thinking about "upgrading," and to get one external to my PC, so i'd be interested to know if anyone purchases one of these and has success with it--certainly looks good.

-steve
-steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up