INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DV Firewire Playback?  (Read 1427 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
DV Firewire Playback?
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:04:29 pm »

I thought that I read somewhere in the forums that Firewire support was added to MC to allow direct playback/control of a Dv Camcorder. Am I just not finding it or did I misunderstand?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DV Firewire Playback?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05:49 pm »

I haven't tried it, but I do think it was added.  I think it works via the TV feature.  I can check it out further tomorrow if you need.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:11:44 pm »

This is an old thread but may help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35640.0

Yaobing is a JRiver developer.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:57:34 pm »

I've been scouring the internet looking for a tool that could take a miniDV tape, and record just the first 5 or so seconds of each shot. This would allow me to catalogue the tape (preferably inside MC), and take up very little disk space. I could even convert the dv files to something smaller like wmv's later to save even more space. Adobe Premiere can almost do it, with it's "scene detect" option in the capture software, but you can't set an arbitary amount of time for each clip to be recorded. So you'd end up with the whole tape on your hard drive.

The only thing that came close was a program called scenalyzer. It "scene detect"s and caputres about 5 thumbnails from each shot to give you a little filmstrip summary of each shot on the tape. But it saves it's catalogue file and thumbnails as a special file that can only be read in that program. I have lots of data, and want to use MC to organize it all, so physical video files on a disk is better for me.

Another one that came close was CatDV. But it is a bit expensive.

I imagine that this could find a use even at the home video, consumer level. People might want to keep a library of all their home movies, without having to capture them all and make them into dvds. If there were enough demand for it, then perhaps something for a future MC???

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »

If you use a mac, BTV Pro can do it really easily, and you can tell it to convert on the fly to other formats.  Unfortunately, I don't know of to much on Windows that'd be real easy to use.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:45:47 am »

I was able to get the DV playback to work in the TV section. I looked there originally but never thought to change the device to locate my DV camcorder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up