INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting m4p behavior...  (Read 1502 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Interesting m4p behavior...
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:36:47 pm »

Just thought I'd post that I found the solution to an odd problem I was having with my MC12-synched iPod skipping certain m4p songs purchased from the iTunes music store.

I had followed the instructions carefully when I set up my iPod to work with MC. I used the current version of iTunes to restore the iPod, then used iTunes to drag one of my iTunes-store songs to the iPod.

Went to MC12, initialized the iPod DB and performed a synch.

After a couple of days I noticed that some of my songs on the iPod were being skipped without being played. They were all m4p songs I had purchased...

Oddly, not every m4p was being skipped....

I went back to both MC12 and iTunes and checked the songs that were being skipped. All of the skipping songs played back perfectly in both of the desktop programs.

I went through the whole sequence again (reformatting, iTunes transfer, MC12 synch) to no avail....

After a week of pondering, I realized that the songs being skipped were all 'older' iTunes store songs that I had purchased before 2006. Then I remembered I had jumped through the hoops to get Apple to change my iTunes Store ID around that time.

Sure enough, the older songs were showing that they were purchased by my old ID, and the newer songs showed they were purchased by my current ID.

I performed another reformat in iTunes, then used iTunes to transfer a small selection of m4p songs to my iPod, trying to make sure I included a couple of older ones along with a couple of newer ones (encompassing both of my Store IDs). Upon checking the iPod, all the songs played just fine.

I then synched all my m4p songs to the iPod with MC12. All are now appear to play fine as well.

Just one of those odd behaviors that I wouldn't have thought of...

Hope this helps somebody else someday!

Best,
Brad

filmfan214

• Recent member
Re: Interesting m4p behavior...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:27:00 pm »

I'm having a similar problem with not being able to play m4p files on my iPod when synced from MC 13. But I'm not sure I follow how you got it to work. The way I read your explanation, it seems like you said reformatting and transferring from iTunes, and then syncing with MC did not work...but then it did once you realized the IDs were different.

Am I missing something? I have a feeling I am, but I would really appreciate your help in pointing it out. And I hope I can solve the problem from within MC somehow. Thanks.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Interesting m4p behavior...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »

I'm not clear about what your precise problem is, but mine was that M4P songs transfered using MC were being skipped--but not every song.

Since MC doesn't understand Apple's DRM, to properly transfer M4P files, you need to use iTunes to sync a single song to properly initialize the iPod's database with the DRM information.

Since I had songs purchased under multiple iTunes IDs, I had to make sure that my "iTunes initialization" included examples of songs purchased under each ID.

Hope this clears up what I was experiencing...

brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up