INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: How does MC match tracks in the library with the ones on the iPod?  (Read 1035 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!

I'm synching my iPod not very often, and sometimes, i will rate a song on the iPod, while changing some other tag(s) in MC. Sometimes, the ratings from the iPod are lost during the sync, they get overwritten with the ratings from the library.

I presume MC uses the filename to match the tracks, is this correct? I hope this question makes some sense, i was thinking for quite some time how to describe the question, and this is the best i can come up with currently. 8)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

The answer to this can vary by device depending on what it supports.

For an iPod, I believe it's artist, album, name, and composer.  If you change one, MC will consider it a new file, so the ratings might not line up perfectly.  This could explain what you are seeing.

We do this soft matching so that you can take your iPod to any number of PCs and sync cleanly.  Trying to use a more concrete (and proprietary) file ID would fall-down if you synced on multiple machines or tossed iTunes into the mix.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA

How does this work with the same MC library (database) but different computers?  I haven't really utilized other computers for syncing but it would be great if I could.

Also, what about syncing over library server?  lol...YET another feature idea.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!

Matt, thanks for the information!
Pages: [1]   Go Up