INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - NAB Show 2007  (Read 2171 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
OT - NAB Show 2007
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:31:48 pm »

I just finished up my travel arrangements and registration for the NAB 2007 Expo in Las Vegas next month (April 14-19).  Being that it is "the world's largest electronic media show" I thought there was a fairly good chance that others on this board (or maybe even JRiver folks themselves) would be attending, and if so, I'd love to grab a drink with anyone!

Is anyone else heading out to the neon city next month?  (And, otherwise, any other cool expos or shows you'll be attending this summer?)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

PeterS

Re: OT - NAB Show 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:47:17 pm »

No JRiver attendance at that show this year, although I'm sure it will be fascinating. If you come across any interesting contacts, pls send them our way. Thanks.  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:36 pm »

I will do!  I'm really looking forward to it.  Oughta be pretty darn cool.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:38:27 pm »

Soo.... Assuming it doesn't get snowed out (they're calling for snow/ice/sleet/ugly tomorrow here), my flight leaves tomorrow for NAB.

I'm wading through the truly massive list of companies that will be there for the "expo part" of the conference.  Anyone have any suggestions for companies in the Video/Audio/Multimedia world that have cool stuff that I should check out?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:04:27 pm »

Soo.... Assuming it doesn't get snowed out (they're calling for snow/ice/sleet/ugly tomorrow here), my flight leaves tomorrow for NAB.
The aviation weather forecast for Bar Harbor looks OK:

KBHB 111724Z 111818 31009KT P6SM SKC
     FM0000 31005KT P6SM SKC
     FM1200 15012KT P6SM BKN050 LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND

Translation of "FM1200 15012KT P6SM BKN050 LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND"

From 8:00AM (1200 GMT), wind from 150 degrees at 12 knots.  Visibility more than 6 miles, sky broken at 5000 feet above ground level.  Report limited to cloud cover, visibility and wind (no precip info).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:26:53 pm »

Yeah... So far all of the Winter Storm Warnings issued by NWS are for the western half of the state.  However, my flight leaves from Bangor (which is about smack dab in the middle of the state) in the late afternoon...

Here's what the "discussion" on the NWS report says:

Code: [Select]
LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE INTO THE GREAT LAKES REGION EARLY THURSDAY
AND GIVE WAY TO A SECONDARY LOW DEVELOPMENT VICINITY OF THE MID
ATLANTIC REGION DURING THURSDAY AFTERNOON. BOTH THE GFS AND THE
NAM ARE IN REASONABLY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH REGARD TO TAKING THIS
SECONDARY LOW NORTHEAST ACROSS CAPE COD THURSDAY EVENING AND THEN
TO THE WESTERN TIP OF NOVA SCOTIA BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD
ACROSS CENTRAL AND DOWNEAST AREAS DURING THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND
THEN REACH EXTREME NORTHERN MAINE BY EARLY THURSDAY EVENING.
APPEARS AS IF BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPERATURES DURING THURSDAY
AFTERNOON WILL BE INITIALLY WARM ENOUGH FOR A RAIN/SNOW MIX AND
THEN CHANGE TO ALL SNOW DURING THURSDAY EVENING AS TEMPERATURES
COOL. THERE MAY BE SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION DURING
THURSDAY NIGHT AND INTO FRIDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE REGION.
SINCE THE MAIN EVENT WILL OCCUR MAINLY IN THE FOURTH AND INTO
FIFTH PERIOD AND STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH REGARD TO WHERE THE
AXIS OF HEAVIEST QPF WILL BE IN THE CWA DECIDED TO HOLD OFF ON ANY
WATCHES ATTM.

Of course... Just last week we had a "minor event" snowstorm where they predicted 4-9 inches with a light impact on the forecast area, right up until the storm started at about 11pm.  I woke up in the morning to 14" of snow, with blizzard warnings issued for most of the state.

I don't have a lot of faith in their abilities, frankly.   ::)  It seems the people who can actually accurately predict snowfall move somewhere other than Maine.  On the Weather Channel, Maine seems to be where on the map the person puts their head while they're discussing the rest of the northeast!   ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

Bangor aviation forecast:

KBGR 112321Z 120024 29006KT P6SM SKC
     FM0900 VRB03KT P6SM BKN220
     FM1400 VRB03KT P6SM SCT090 OVC150
     FM1800 06006KT P6SM SCT040 OVC080
     FM2000 07008KT 6SM -RASN OVC035
     FM2200 08009KT 2SM -SNRA BR SCT010 OVC020

1800 is 2:00 PM EDT, wind from 60 degrees at 6 knots, visibility more than 6 miles, scattered clouds at 4000 feet, overcast at 8000
2000 is 4:00 PM EDT, wind from 70 degrees at 8 knots, visibility 6 miles, a little rain and snow, overcast at 3500
2200 is 6:00 PM EDT, wind from 80 degrees at 9 knots, visibility 2 miles, a little snow and rain, mist, scattered at 1000, overcast at 2000

Summary: A Piece of Cake.

The system looks like it isn't moving too fast.  We had it all day today.  It wasn't too bad.

Find us a nice OCAP test machine, please.  I may be there on Wednesday if you're still looking for a free beer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 02:22:32 pm »

Well....

I finally made it.   ::)  The storm wasn't too bad in Maine, but apparently was terrible in Philly (which is where my plane was going to/coming from) and ended up getting delayed 2 1/2 hours.  That, of course, made it nearly impossible to catch my connecting flight.  I ran and made it, only to sit on the runway for 1 1/2 hours...  Erg.  Oh well... Glad to be here.  I ended up being too tired to make the first session at my conference, but I've got some stuff later this afternoon.  Gonna go walk around the strip now!

And, if you make it, I'd love a beer.  I'll be checking email and whatnot all week, so just let me know.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »

This is pretty cool...

This speaker (right now) is demoing a new DVD that's coming out somewhat soon (it's going out to the replicator in a week or two he said).  It's Louis Armstrong: The Portrait Collection.  The guy speaking is the one who built the DVD Menu, and is showing how it was done (mostly Apple Motion and DVD Studio Pro).  Looks really nice.  If you're an Armstrong fan, keep an eye out for it.  Lots of great stuff in there -- old interviews and home movies, all kinds of remastered audio, history and all kinds of photo slideshows and whatnot.  Really cool!

I think I might be keeping an eye out for it!

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:16:44 am »

thanks for the heads up; I'm a big Satchmo fan.

hope you guys have fun

DC

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 10:22:02 pm »

I spent the day at NAB today.  I don't know how glynor has managed to spend the week.  I'm saturated and my feet hurt.

Pictures here:
http://tinyurl.com/3ajuex

It was great to finally meet Ed (aka glynor).  He's in the last two pictures with mayonnaise on his shirt.  As I expected, he's a real gent.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 01:40:15 am »

Thanks!

My feet are absurdly broken.  I have blisters in places I didn't even know I could get blisters!  I learned my lesson and next time I come to something like this, I'm going to bring my good hiking boots and some good gel shoe inserts.  Too bad there's no gel inserts for my brain!!

However, today was really the first day I got to check out the Expo much.  I've been in seminars and training sessions almost the whole time until today.  I'll check out the rest tomorrow before I have to get on the plane to come back home.  After I get back, I'll be sure to post a whole pile of pictures.  There's a lot of cool stuff I got great shots of (from the expo and from other places around Vegas).  I was using a real camera though (unlike Jim's phone) and mine look a little nicer.   ;)  Unfortunately, I forgot my USB mini cable so I can't post them from here (without buying one and that can wait since I'm sure it'd be like $50 here).

I can see from Jim's pictures that there's lots I haven't even seen in the Expo yet.  What the heck is that huge chess board?

Oh, and that cheeseburger was terrible.  I should have sucked it up and waited to leave the expo!  (It wasn't all terrible, but a lot of it was.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:23:58 am »

Hey... I finally posted my pictures this weekend.  Check them out if you're interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edandjenn/sets/72157600211486304/

Pages: [1]   Go Up