INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with G-Force and Softskies visualizations?  (Read 1073 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...

I am having problems with G-Force and Softskies visualizations in MC12. This appears tied to a recent update in those programs (older versions work fine).

The problem manifests as follows (slight difference between G-Force and Softskies):

1. G-Force starts normally - however, when the Display window changes size (eg going from Playing Now to fullscreen view, or entering Theater view), the window stops updating at all. It shows the desktop wherever the viz is supposed to be. The display settings context menu works fine, and changing to Cover Art or the MC12 builtin viz works fine.

2. Softskies starts up rather strangely - the first time it is run, the window is black, and menus are not erased when drawn (leaving a sort of trail effect). Switching to another viz and then back to Softskies, things work normally. The Softskies display is correct, and menus work fine. However, changes to the display window, especially switching to Theater view, cause the same problems seen with G-Force.

Apparently there is a config change for G-Force (noGL = 1) that helps. No such fix for Softskies.

Any thoughts? Anyone else seeing this?

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat

Ive encountered this - I see you added to my thread on the Soundspectrum GForce forum - but found no fix Im afraid. In my case GF and SS were crashing MC, or at least the whole caboodle was crashing somehow (so might not be exactly the same as you). I havent used Softskies for a few months to test if things have changed but there have been updates certainly to MC since then. Not sure if I have the latest version of GF but the noGL thing did seem to work and Ive been enjoying it for these last few months.

G Force is so cool its hard to feel disappointed, but if anyone can offer a solution itd be even better.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

There's a solution in this thread: http://www.soundspectrum-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1577

I initially thought it was limited to ATI video card driver issues, but I've subsequently seen it on a nVidia system.  It has something to do with the way OpenGL acceleration is used in G-Force and DirectDraw is used in MC12.  If you disable OpenGL in G-Force (which doesn't seem to have any visible effect, so long as you don't have a completely wimpy CPU), you should be fine.

I just finished reading the parent post... Yes, it's the noGL key, and I thought it worked in Softskies but apparently not.  You may want to also double check your video card drivers for the Softskies issue, or look for "hardware acceleration" in it's configuration.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up