INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about version 9  (Read 2775 times)

zevele1

about version 9
« on: August 25, 2002, 04:09:55 am »

Few things i do not understand.
There is not 8.1 or 8.2 on his way?
There is still some Very annoying things in MJ8
Like the tree always coming back at the first album when you work on other albums starting with l-v or z
If i remember the same with the right window
Have a better way to control the pop-up you get when you stay on a song
To be able to delete song from inside 'playing now"
All of this will not be fixed before 9?
YADB will be on 9 only?
I understand that 9 is to be put out last week?

Or 9 is a kind of 8.1?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:about version 9
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 04:14:50 am »

Beta on 9 fairly soon.

YADB is in 8.0.355.

On many other issues, we're at the point where if we make a change to please one group, then we make some other group unhappy.

If it were a moderate change, we'd call it 8.1.  It isn't.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2002, 04:30:49 am »

Thank you.
I was confused from the posts on "MJ 8.0.355"

So we are just in a normal way:
8 running
9 beta starting

Concerning the tree coming back to the top of the list,do you think there is one group who wants it to stay like it?

sekim

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 05:04:39 am »

I'm with you zev. It would be nice if MJ could retain the tree view when jumping to playing now. I think if you were adding songs to PN this would be a nice feature. Think about it, you've already scrolled to whatever you want. Why go thru it all over again to continue?

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 09:04:01 am »

I agree totally!! nothing more annoying than putting together a playlist, only to have it go back to the beginning of the library every time!!!

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 09:52:17 am »

Got to agree about the tree. It is REALLY annoying when you go back to the beginning.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2002, 05:54:33 am »

Not sure I understand.

Can you explain in more detail what's going on, and what would be ideal?

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 05:08:53 pm »

You scroll through the tree and, as you either add the folder to the playlist or even move it to another folder (to avoid dupes caused by misspelling or the word "the"), the view goes all the way back to the top of the tree instead of staying in the same vicinity. Lots of folders = lots of scrolling.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Markus

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 06:05:11 am »

Zevele is right: It would be a great thing to be able to delete songs/files directly from Playing Now.
   When trying out new music and finding out that I do not want to keep a song I very often need to have a look at the songs name, then locate it in the library to be able to delete the file. This could be more comfortable.

nila

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 07:10:33 am »

Cant believe a v9 is gonna be out so soon.
It seems like just yesterday that v8 was out.
How do I become a beta tester? I definitely want to be testing the latest and greatest MJ.

Lemme know please - email: nila@britcrew.com

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 08:58:55 am »

Zevele is right: It would be a great thing to be able to delete songs/files directly from Playing Now.
When trying out new music and finding out that I do not want to keep a song I very often need to have a look at the songs name, then locate it in the library to be able to delete the file. This could be more comfortable.

This is already in version 8.  Use [Shift]|PLS|[Delete] instead of just [Delete] in Playing Now to do a delete.

And the betas of Media Jukebox 9 will be public.  Most of our good ideas come from our users, so the more people helping us out, the better :)

-Matt

dave

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2002, 09:06:25 am »

Considering that MJ 8.0 will be out for about 45 seconds before v 9.0 is released will you be charging for 9.0 upgrade?

I bought v 7.0 only after using the beta of v 8.0 (in fact I never ever used v 7.2.) I only exclusively used v 8 releases so if I couldnt upgrade to 9.0 i wouldnt be so happy

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2002, 09:49:01 am »

Nobody's forcing you to upgrade to 9. 8 is so good that I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade to 9. It'll have to have some incredible features to get me to upgrade. I like 8 that much. But if I do decide to upgrade, I'll happily pay up.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2002, 10:02:09 am »

Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

dave

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2002, 10:10:04 am »

true,
one doesnt have to upgrade....
But one should expect that their software would be good for a year or so...

Its not like Windows has a new OS every year and charges for it.

I think MJ should adopt an upgrade price.  

I know when push comes to shove I would likely pay for the new version...

But, again, I used version 8.0 exclusively, although I unfortunately bought with a version 7 license.  So if you are entitled to usig one version higher than the one you bought, then I feel like I should get 9.0.  

By the way, NICE SCREEN SHOT!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2002, 12:33:09 pm »

Yeah, I think JimH is providing me with a reason to upgrade.

true,
one doesnt have to upgrade....
But one should expect that their software would be good for a year or so...

MJ8 isn't going to magically stop working when 9 is released. If your needs never change, then there's no reason your software has to.

zevele1

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2002, 12:51:57 pm »

Matt

Very average users like me and many others do not use shortcuts that much

Mister average would like to be able to delete from 'playing now'inside MJ,with the mouse.
Even if this has to be a 2 clicks operation.
Concerning the tree back to the top-something who drives me mad-I thing that if you click on 'previous',you get the page with the tree as it was.
But again ,nicer if this...tree just not moving back to the top

gvag

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 12:55:35 pm »

JimH/JRiver -

I participated only marginally in the MJ8 beta testing but if v9 is that close to beta testing would you
please, consider a MJ Beta9, only forum
it is very confusing for new users.  Plus as the beta progresses it starts to dominate the forum and people who have paid for and are seeking help with the current release tend to get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks

George

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2002, 01:27:18 pm »

>> I'm going to upgrade to 9
I always need to have the best.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sam_

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2002, 01:59:25 pm »

A lot of good points made here.

I agree with Zev and others...  Moving between the tree, Playing Now, and the Playlists is much too difficult.  I think a navigation tool like "My Sidebar" on Netscape 7.0 beta would work well here.  Tabs for Media Library, Playing Now, and Playlists would always stay on the screen.  When you switch to Playing Now, the Media View tree can stay on the screen.  You also wouldn't need a toolbar button to switch to Playing Now because the tab will always be there.  You'd also reduce the need for the "Previous" button.

The [Shift]|PLS|[Delete] short-cut is a good example of how MJ is so difficult to use.  You've got great features, but they're all hidden away.

And I agree with George...  You've directed all technical support to this message board - a wise business strategy - but the board is dominated by a close-knit user community.  And if no one is in the mood to answer a question at the time, then the user is out of luck.  That's fine for freeware, but not for purchased software.

Did I mention that I love MJ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2002, 02:13:28 pm »

The [Shift]|PLS|[Delete] short-cut is a good example of how MJ is so difficult to use. You've got great features, but they're all hidden away

It's a balance.  Bring too much advanced functionality to the front and you overwhelm people.  The solution many players have is that the advanced functionality doesn't exist at all...

nila

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2002, 02:53:01 am »

Matt I agree that too many features too far in the front can be overwhelming to the users.

There are two solutions I think to this, neither one is the option most companies take of not making the advanced features.

1. To have a mode like EAC where it can be turned to advanced mode or to basic mode depending on the user. Putting it in basic mode hides some of the more advanced features.
2. To put everything nicely into categories and sub categories so that the features are put into relivant sub categories so as to help the user realise what they are for and to aid them to use them.

Leaving features as keyboard only features usually results in the feature having been a waste of your time and effort as only you as the programmer and a few other people who might have sat down and read the whole manual will know of their existance.
ALL features you program into MJ should be available through the main menu's or through right clicking or check boxes etc. None should be things the user has to know about to use unless they are extremely common practises among all software applications and so the user might be expected to know about them.

As for v9. One thing that I would quite like and I think alot of users would is the ability to configure how the screen looks and which windows appear where and at what time.
I'd personally choose to have the Playing Now window showing at all times and have some others. I'd like the search box to open above the playing now window where the visualisations currently are. Maybe implement tabs so that the user can switch between: 'find a song' 'visualisation' 'track info' slide show' etc with just a single click. Make other programs be able to add themselves as a tab as well.

Also the position of these windows is something that users will want to adapt. Making this positioning etc skinnable too would give the skins alot more power which users might love.
Pages: [1]   Go Up