INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Monitor question  (Read 2258 times)

Efjay

• World Citizen
Multiple Monitor question
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:34:39 am »

I typically run MC on one monitor split into 2 columns. One has my library and the other my playing now screen.

Is it possible to split the view so that one side would appear on one monitor and the other view on a different monitor? I would prefer this rather than detaching the display so as to maintain the Now Playing list.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Multiple Monitor question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:55:27 pm »

I also have dual monitors.  I actually had 3 at one point but realized it wasn't beneficial.

I would say: then you're taking over your whole computer for MC.  We all like to relax with music but you have to get a lil' work done, too, lol!!  Whether that's a school paper, a web site, or a presentation for a speech...we really need to thrive to get a little something done while MC is open.

No, you're idea doesn't seem possible from what I know.

I regret to say I don't recognize a single album in your picture.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:58:03 pm »

I'm sorry...I got so caught up in my joke.  This is very possible and easy.  In the display window, right click, set to track info that you wan.  Then, right click and detach display.  You can move the track info anywhere you want and make it full screen.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:30:50 pm »

What I'm actually looking to do is run a split view between two monitors. My computer with JRiver is solely for music control (at home; the screen pictured is from my office computer) and I don't use it for anything else. I want to be able to use one screen to control my library and play controls and a second monitor to display what's playing and what songs are coming up.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:19:25 pm »

Ultramon will let you maximize any application window the the entire desktop.  Then, you can use MC's split views command to make as many views as you want and arrange them across the screen in columns, just dragging the splitter to where it works well (you can drag it right up to the split between the two monitors. I use this quite a bit while tagging in MC.  Ultramon is very cool fior dual monitors anyhow (you can have wallpaper which fills across both displays, screen savers which work, and all kinds of other cool stuff).  It's worth checking out, and they have a free trial.

One note though, because of MC's skinning engine, the buttons ultramon adds to the top of most application windows don't work in MC.  To maximize MC to the dekstop, the easiest way is to right click on MC's icon in the taskbar and choose "Maximize to Desktop" there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:05:50 pm »

It baffled me for a minute on how to get a screenshot of this (because the PrintScreen command obviously doesn't show the monitor separation at all)... Then it dawned on me it'd be a good use for a camera, so here goes:

Click to enlarge.

Sorry it's such a terrible shot.  My basement isn't the best place for a photo (lighting wise), taking pictures of phosphorescent CRTs is hard, and I didn't take much time to fix it in Photoshop.

Either way.... This image of MC has MC split into three column views.  The right monitor is one big view (of some TV episodes), and the left monitor is split in two (one showing a track listing, the other showing recent audio imports).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:13:44 pm »

J'ai une question.  C'est Sauvignon Blanc?

Bonne image ca.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:19:46 pm »

It baffled me for a minute on how to get a screenshot of this (because the PrintScreen command obviously doesn't show the monitor separation at all)... Then it dawned on me it'd be a good use for a camera, so here goes:

Click to enlarge.

Sorry it's such a terrible shot.  My basement isn't the best place for a photo (lighting wise), taking pictures of phosphorescent CRTs is hard, and I didn't take much time to fix it in Photoshop.

Either way.... This image of MC has MC split into three column views.  The right monitor is one big view (of some TV episodes), and the left monitor is split in two (one showing a track listing, the other showing recent audio imports).

Such a simple solution. I wish I has thought of it. Thanks.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:30:57 pm »

Upon implimentation, it is a less than perfect solution primarily because it splits the current file play area (the part where it shows what's playing at the top) between the two windows. Therefore, I officially request the ability to split the view between two monitors without splitting the play area or I request basically the same thing with the ability to move/turn off/remove/hide/you get the idea the section with the controls and the top toolbar.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:51:40 pm »

Did you not read my solution?  It's perfect.  MC runs on one monitor and the track info for the current song with cover art and lots of info shows up on the second monitor!

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:42:23 am »

Did you not read my solution?  It's perfect.  MC runs on one monitor and the track info for the current song with cover art and lots of info shows up on the second monitor!
I read it. What I am looking for is both the track info and the songs next up in the playlist (ideally there would be a track info script that would display such info making for a more uniform look). I want the entire portion outlined in red on a second monitor.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 03:03:15 pm »

That means you need a custom Track Info visualization that pulls the now playing info you're interested in and displays it...then this solution would work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »

J'ai une question.  C'est Sauvignon Blanc?

Bonne image ca.

Thanks!  Good guess on the wine.  It's probably my favorite "everyday drinking" wine, from Clos du Bois.  A very good domestic Sauvignon Blanc.

I read it. What I am looking for is both the track info and the songs next up in the playlist (ideally there would be a track info script that would display such info making for a more uniform look). I want the entire portion outlined in red on a second monitor.

You can!  Maybe you don't know how the Split Views commands work.  Do this...

1.  Open MC and Maximize it to the Desktop.
2.  Go to View --> Split View --> Columns
3.  Then go to View --> Split View --> Show 2 Views
4.  You will now have two different and independent "views" of MC, separated by a Splitter Bar.
5.  You can grab the splitter bar and drag it via the handle in the middle of the two arrows.  Drag the splitter till it's centered between your two monitors.  You can't make it absolutely perfect (the splitter bar needs to show on one or the other of the monitors), but it's pretty darn close!
6.  Select the view on the left (click on it) and navigate and find what you want to play and play it.  Set the view on the right to Playing Now and adjust it how you'd like it.

MC remembers it's position and how you have arranged your views even when you close/re-open it, so once you get it set it should stay that way unless you change it again.

Here's a pic:

Click to enlarge.

I left my tree open (it could have been closed), and I didn't happen to have that playing now Track Info plugin open (mine was "All I Need") but otherwise it is essentially exactly what you asked for.  The only downside really is that the display at the top of MC (next to the Play/FF/RW buttons) is centered and get's cut in half.  I think you could even fix this with a custom skin if you wanted (make it left justified instead of centered).

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:55:12 pm »

That means you need a custom Track Info visualization that pulls the now playing info you're interested in and displays it...then this solution would work.
And if someone comes up with such a thing, I would be a happy man. ;D For now, I'll probably use the ultramon solution. Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

benn600

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 10:47:10 pm »

I couldn't live without two monitors.  Three was nice but all too often I really didn't need them...so I was wasting a nice 20" LCD that I moved to replace an older, analog 17" LCD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up