INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unlikely feature request portiMC (LOL)  (Read 764 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Unlikely feature request portiMC (LOL)
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »

I find it amazing that I can go to just about any computer, install the MC trial software, and connect to my home server to access much of my digital media.  What about a quick run MC install that was purely intended to do this?  I almost imagine a MC that doesn't have a trial period but would ONLY connect to a PASSWORD PROTECTED remote server.  It would be great if it could be installed to a folder (such as on a flash drive) and run directly from it without needing to install everything.

Cause when I'm on a strange computer, I am just interested in getting my music playing as quickly as possible, and hopefully not leaving too many remnants.

Just an idea!

aksdb

• Recent member
Re: Unlikely feature request portiMC (LOL)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:14:41 pm »

I could imagine this as follows:
MC has a menu item under Tools which allows to creates a "Portable MC". This would be a stripped down MC with only the necessary (maybe selectable) plugins. It is bound with a hash of the user's license key. Upon start of this client, you have to enter host/port/etc. of the server. Whenever this client connects to the server, it can securely verify the license so that only its owner can make use of his Portable MC together with his server. Then everything is as usual, just that it can only use the remote library.

I would love it ;)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Unlikely feature request portiMC (LOL)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:38:29 pm »

Perfect idea--only work with the same licensed MC.  That way, it could be the full MC without needing to enter the registration code again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up