INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Bluetooth AVRCP profile needed to control MC with a cell phone?  (Read 1859 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm up for getting a new cell phone from Verizon, and it sounds like JRiver wants to eventually add cell phone control of MC.  Most cell phones have bluetooth, but they can vary on their bluetooth 'profile' technology.  The profile of interest to me is AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) which is specifically targeted at allowing control of programs like MC.

Verizon only has 2 phones with the AVRCP profile ability.

Would MC just bypass this and use the full Dial up transfer profile for making a browsable client on the cell phone?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen

AVRCP on phones is about controlling playback on the *phone* (e.g. from a pair of bluetooth headphones).

As far as I'm aware, there are currently no phones that control other devices using AVCRP.

The only way I know of coming close to doing what you're talking about is to use UPnP (probably over wifi) - there are phones that  do that currently, e.g. the N95. But even that won't work at the moment, because MC doesn't handle it...

You can of course do it with a web browser, hooking into the web interface of MC.
Or, you can get a phone that runs Windows Mobile Professional (i.e. PocketPC) and run NetRemote on it.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Actually here is the definition of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Audio.2FVideo_Remote_Control_Profile_.28AVRCP.29

You can see it being used to control wmp player here: http://www.conduits.com/community/forum_posts.asp?TID=591&PN=1

My question is what is JRiver planning to do if anything to allow a cell phone to control MC?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen

They're still talking about using AVRCP to control the player on the phone (which in the Windows Mobile world IS called Windows Media Player still).

Believe me, there is no control the other way at the moment...
Pages: [1]   Go Up