INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer library information to tags...w/o MC12?  (Read 1160 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Transfer library information to tags...w/o MC12?
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:24:29 am »

Hello all!

I've spent much of the past few months totally reorganizing and updating the library information for my ~25,000 files. Although such a project is never totally done, I'm happy enough now with the state of my library to be a little paranoid....

I'd like to transfer as much of my 'good' library meta-data to the actual files themselves and store/update all of my music files' tags. I'm very familiar with "Update Tags (from Library)" and it works fine for my supported music files (mp3, ape, apl), but fails when trying to tag all of my AAC-encoded mp4 files (extensions: m4a & m4p).

We could consider this my semi-routine plea to add mp4 tagging to MC12, but in lieu of that support, I'm willing to consider crazy workflows, alternate utilities, etc....

Basically, does anyone have any ideas about how to export the information in my library and use that info to tag my ~13,000 m4a & m4p files?

Best,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Transfer library information to tags...w/o MC12?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:14:16 am »

...Bueller....Bueller....Buelller....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:48:48 am »

... I'm willing to consider crazy workflows, alternate utilities, etc....

Basically, does anyone have any ideas about how to export the information in my library and use that info to tag my ~13,000 m4a & m4p files?

The export part is easy. Create a playlist of the MP4 and M4A files and export it in MPL format. You'll get a file that has all library data in nicely organized XML format.

For tagging you could try Mp3tag. It supports external "tag lists" and mass tagging operations.

The grazy workflow part is finding a way to convert the XML info to a format that Mp3tag supports. You could try to search the Mp3tag forum.

EDIT

You could also use the "Rename from properties" tool and add the most important tags to your folder and filename structure. Mp3tag has similar tool that can tag files from the filename & path info. This would work with all simple tags, but naturally lyrics and bios texts are not possible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:22:20 am »

Would it be preferable for MC be able to create an MPL file of each album and store in the album's folder ?

This way you have a full dump of tags that MC assocaites for the file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up