INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User created Tag fields from MC10 to MC12  (Read 1376 times)

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
User created Tag fields from MC10 to MC12
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:24:32 pm »

Hi there

I have just upgraded from MC10 to MC12 and have been quite excited by what I have seen so far.

Problem - In MC10 I created two fields that I have been updating like mad.  I was assured that I would always be able to use them in future versions.  The example I have tried updating in MC12 is 'Chart Position' I have created the field successfully but all the tags are empty and it hasn't carried over all the data?

Fortunately MC10 is still working so I know the data is still there but just not displaying in MC12  ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

A

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: User created Tag fields from MC10 to MC12
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:59:54 pm »

Spelling or punctuation?  It should work if the name is identical and if the tag was stored in the file.

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:52:57 pm »

Nope I have checked and they are spelt exactly the same, have the same spaces & same punctuation.  I can provide screen prints if there is the means?

The field is called 'Chart Position'

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:54:18 pm »

I ran into this same problem.  If you don't have the field created before hand, for some strange reason, MC doesn't pick up the new fields.

I have a field [Ben's Rating] ... if I import all my music and then add the field to MC's options, nothing shows up.  (this is probably a bug).  So I have to update the library from tags (in the right-click menu -- select all).  Once MC picks up the fields, either by adding the field BEFORE importing media or using the update item, then MC picks up changes.  I make changes to this field on other computers/accounts and MC seems to pick it up once I've accomplished one of these two solutions.

That should fix your problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 03:03:06 pm »

Create a backup file on MC10:  File > Library > Backup Library...

and restore this file on MC12:  File > Library > Restore Library...

Even if you don't have your music & other media files in the same location(s) anymore you can still do the backup/restore procedure just for transferring your custom library fields, view schemes and smartlists to MC12. After the restore you can:

- correct the base folder location(s) (e.g. replace "C:\folder x\" with "D:\folder y\").  This preserves also the import dates and playcounts.

- or remove the old files that are now offline and import from the new location(s) as new library files. The new Auto-Import feature can do this automatically. (In some cases also the Auto-Importer can preserve the playcounts if it is able to relink the old files instead deleting and reimporting.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:07 pm »

I ran into this same problem.  If you don't have the field created before hand, for some strange reason, MC doesn't pick up the new fields.

I have a field [Ben's Rating] ... if I import all my music and then add the field to MC's options, nothing shows up.  (this is probably a bug).  So I have to update the library from tags (in the right-click menu -- select all).  Once MC picks up the fields, either by adding the field BEFORE importing media or using the update item, then MC picks up changes.  I make changes to this field on other computers/accounts and MC seems to pick it up once I've accomplished one of these two solutions.

That should fix your problem.

MC is not supposed to create new library fields from each and every odd tag that may exist in files. MC cannot know that an unknown file tag is related to a library field before the field is created. Also, a library field has several configuration options that cannot be stored in a simple tag value.

This "create the field first" system is useful when a few files is imported to another MC library. For a complete library transfer the backup/restore procedure is probably better.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:00:15 am »

I'm not sure the issue is fully explained.  All I know is that if I don't follow my procedure, all the data I have stored in my FLAC music will NOT be imported, no matter how many times auto-import scans the files.  The "bug" really confused me but luckily, I figured it out and I no longer have that issue.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:55:23 am »

MC's database is designed to be able to work independently from the physical file tags. You can define which tags are saved to the files, switch the file tagging completely off if preferred and also use file formats that don't support tagging at all, like wav, avi, tiff, doc etc.

When testing new MC versions I usually start with an empty copy of my main library for gettting the custom fields, customized view schemes and smartlists in. First I create a duplicate of the library with the Library Manager. Then I load this copy library and select all files and delete them from the library. Then I import test files from a temporary location and can safely experiment with the new features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up