INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't import mpg files into MC12  (Read 890 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Can't import mpg files into MC12
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »

I have a bunch of mpg files that were original HD TV shows recorded using SageTV v6. The commercials were edited out using VideoReDo. I cannot import any of these files into MC12. The MPEG video filter is checked in the Import Folder.

These files will not play in MC12 even when I try to use 'Open Media File' from the File menu. These files play fine when using something like VLC.

Is there something else needed to play and\or import these files?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't import mpg files into MC12
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:48:31 pm »

MC won't import them if it fails to render them, which obviously it can't because you can't play them manually.  I haven't used SageTV since v4-ish, but I'd guess those are MPEG-2 program stream files.  To play back MPEG-2 files, you need to have a third-party DirectShow filter that can handle them installed on the system.  Windows only comes with MPEG-1 compatible splitters out of the box.  There are plenty of good, free MPEG-2 decoder/splitter filters out there, though.

Try searching for CCCP in this forum, or read Yaobing's DirectShow Playback FAQ (linked to in the general FAQ stickied at the top of this board -- down near the bottom of the list).  VLC can play the files because it doesn't use the Windows DirectShow engine for playback (required because it is a cross-platform application), and it's filters are all built-in.  For the most part, it actually just uses it's own version of the same exact filters included as part of CCCP.

I'm on my HTPC, and it's tough to do complex posts or I'd link you directly to the relevant postings.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up