INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 and Nano: How to Charge Battery?  (Read 4098 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
MC12 and Nano: How to Charge Battery?
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:40:08 pm »

Problem:  With MC12 and Nano connected to PC, my Nano's battery does not charge.  Nano shows the 'do not disconnect' icon while connected.  If I use MC12 to do Eject, the Nano goes back to the Nano main menu.  If I let it timeout or turn it off manually, the battery does not charge (not battery icon).

Now, if I fire up yucky ITunes with the Nano is connected (MC12 stopped) to do an Eject, the Nano's battery icon does appear and it charges (in the iPod dock).

What's wrong with MC12 Eject?  How do I get the Nano to charge (using MC12)?

BTW, I let the Nano sit for 18 hours after ejecting with MC12 and it did not charge (besides, it normally charges to full in under 90 mins).  Also, the Itunes Helper process is not running (I have it configured to not run on my system, ever).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC12 and Nano: How to Charge Battery?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:22:10 pm »

We do a more complete eject, so don't use it unless you're unplugging your iPod. (so leave it not ejected to charge)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:45 pm »

Ok, thanks.

Can I ask why (a more 'complete eject' is done, what's the point?)?  Is there an option or MC reg hack to do a more standard iPod eject such that the Nano can be ejected and left charging (as intended)?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:57:09 pm »

Maybe there is different behavior by PC/OS and iPod versions, but my iPod charges after I do an eject from MC.

I have the 5.5 generation 80gb iPod.
I have an XP PC.

EDIT: My test is not valid. I have a cable that attaches the iPod to the PC USB plus the AC charger. With this configuration it will always charge when ejected.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 11:08:29 pm »

For whatever it's worth, we've never ejected an iPod at JRiver except for testing.

Your mileage may vary, but we haven't lost one yet.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:07:15 am »

For whatever it's worth, we've never ejected an iPod at JRiver except for testing.

Your mileage may vary, but we haven't lost one yet.

Huh?  I don't get your meaning (sorry).  I see an Eject button in MC12.

I'd just like to stop using ITunes to Eject and have my Nano charge.  Currently, leaving it connected via MC doesn't charge it, nor does ejecting it via MC (because of MC's 'more complete' way of ejecting).  I can't make sense of it (i.e., what MC is doing this for?).  I do have the latest Nano firmware, that's not the problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:18:15 pm »

Currently, leaving it connected via MC doesn't charge it

I think it's charging anytime the screen is on from USB power (not just when the battery icon is showing).

That's why we're saying, "just don't eject."

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 07:26:41 am »

I think it's charging anytime the screen is on from USB power (not just when the battery icon is showing).

That's why we're saying, "just don't eject."

I know that's what you think, but sadly it does not charge (my Nano does not).  I left it plugged in and not ejected for 12 hours last night as you said and it is still only 50% charged.  I guess I'm stuck with ITunes or an external adapter.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 04:39:07 pm »

I know that's what you think, but sadly it does not charge (my Nano does not).  I left it plugged in and not ejected for 12 hours last night as you said and it is still only 50% charged.  I guess I'm stuck with ITunes or an external adapter.

There should be no difference between iTunes and MC12 for charging the iPod.

You may have another problem. Some PCs do not have enough power coming out of the USB port to charge the iPod.  My PC is one of these. It is a notebook PC.  It will not charge from iTunes or MC12.  So I use an iPod cable that has 2 leads coming out. One is connected to the PC, the other is connected to the power adapter. With this setup, I can charge the iPod or sync the iPod.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »

There should be no difference between iTunes and MC12 for charging the iPod.

You may have another problem. Some PCs do not have enough power coming out of the USB port to charge the iPod.  My PC is one of these. It is a notebook PC.  It will not charge from iTunes or MC12.  So I use an iPod cable that has 2 leads coming out. One is connected to the PC, the other is connected to the power adapter. With this setup, I can charge the iPod or sync the iPod.

I'm telling you it's MC...Matt knows it's MC.  It works fine with ITunes' Eject and I have the same results on 3 PCs (2 laptops, 1 desktop).  I think MC just can't seem to do the proper eject as the iPod/ITunes engineers intended.  MC does a 'more complete' (Matt's words) eject and can't seem to do the 'needed' standard eject...I'm guessing the ITunes folks have some knowledge the JRiver folks don't (inside info).  This has been a long, outstanding MC bug and I'll just continue use ITunes to do the 'standard' eject.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:52 pm »

For whatever it is worth, I have observed with my 4GB flash drive that there appears to be two methods of ejecting USB devices.

When I eject with the standard Windows "safely remove hardware" it dismounts the drive but leaves power applied.

When I eject with another utility called HotSwap! (which I got for dismounting e-SATA drives) it dismounts the drive and turns off the USB power.

My guess is that MC uses the latter method.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13:05 am »

I'm telling you it's MC...

My comment was based on your statement that your iPod will not charge even when it is NOT ejected. You said it was connected, and not ejected, for 12 hours and would not charge.  That is why I think there is not enough power in the USB port to charge the iPod. If the iPod is not ejected, MC12 should charge the same as iTunes.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 12:16:07 am »

For whatever it is worth, I have observed with my 4GB flash drive that there appears to be two methods of ejecting USB devices.

When I eject with the standard Windows "safely remove hardware" it dismounts the drive but leaves power applied.

When I eject with another utility called HotSwap! (which I got for dismounting e-SATA drives) it dismounts the drive and turns off the USB power.

My guess is that MC uses the latter method.

For consistency, MC should use the same method as iTunes when ejecting an iPod.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 08:50:18 am »

We do a more complete eject, so don't use it unless you're unplugging your iPod. (so leave it not ejected to charge)

I added an iPod Shuffle to my collection. With this model the 'more complete' eject is a bigger problem.

The iPod shuffle has no screen. It has lights to tell you if it is connected, charging, or fully charged.

If it is connected, it flashes orange.
If it is ejected (not the MC more complete ejection, but the kind in iTunes) and is charging, it is a solid orange.
If it is ejected (not the MC more complete ejection, but the kind in iTunes) and is fully charged, it is a solid green.

So there is no way to see if the iPod shuffle is fully charged with MC.  If you eject it, it is totally disconnected and the status lights are out. If it is connected, it is always flashing orange.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 12:01:17 pm »

There are OS-level and drive-level ejects.

We first try an OS-level eject, as this is the correct way to handle removal of USB hardware.  It's the same as picking "Safely remove hardware" from the tray.

If the OS-level eject fails, we fallback to a drive-level eject.  This is what iTunes always uses.

The OS-level eject is more complete.  There is a reason why Windows includes the "Safely remove hardware" feature.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:19:19 pm »

Sorry but I hardly ever use the safely eject on my flash drives...ever.  I rarely store important data on my flash drive...usually just synced data that has at least another copy somewhere.  It's a pain.

There have been a few times where I was relying on my flash drive where I've done it but those are not common instances.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 02:31:58 pm »

We still think iPods (and other devices) charge whenever they're plugged in.

If this weren't the case, plugging in your device wouldn't charge it unless you opened iTunes and hit "Eject", which doesn't make any sense.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 02:48:52 pm »

New computers are equipped with a physical eject feature.  When you click eject on the computer, it doesn't do any software ejection, it just has a little rod that shoots from the USB port so the cable goes flying out.  It really helps when you're in a hurry.  Just click eject and go.  No more finding the USB cable and removing it.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:33 am »

We still think iPods (and other devices) charge whenever they're plugged in.

If this weren't the case, plugging in your device wouldn't charge it unless you opened iTunes and hit "Eject", which doesn't make any sense.
The only reason I mention it is that there is no screen with the iPod shuffle. Because of that, there is no way to see if the iPod shuffle is fully charged. When it is connected, the light flashes orange to indicate it is connected. If you eject it in iTunes, the light is a solid orange to indicate it is charging & ejected. When it is charged, it is solid green. With MC, when you eject it, the lights are out.  Maybe it is still charging, but you cannot tell if it is charged.

rjm

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:33 am »

There are OS-level and drive-level ejects.

We first try an OS-level eject, as this is the correct way to handle removal of USB hardware.  It's the same as picking "Safely remove hardware" from the tray.

If the OS-level eject fails, we fallback to a drive-level eject.  This is what iTunes always uses.

The OS-level eject is more complete.  There is a reason why Windows includes the "Safely remove hardware" feature.

Matt, any chance you are mistaken on this?

"Safely Remove Hardware" leaves power applied. MC eject turns off the power. I would really like the power to remain on after an MC eject.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 03:32:27 pm »

Matt, any chance you are mistaken on this?

"Safely Remove Hardware" leaves power applied. MC eject turns off the power. I would really like the power to remain on after an MC eject.

On several computers here, "Safely Remove Hardware" does the exact same thing as MC.  And neither keeps the iPod charging.  That's why we recommend not ejecting if you're trying to charge the iPod.

However, a coming build will have this change:
Changed: Media Center no longer does a complete iPod eject, but instead keeps the iPod charging when ejected like iTunes.

rjm

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 06:53:45 pm »

Wonderful, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up