INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: console gaming on Vista PC - seeking advice  (Read 1536 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
OT: console gaming on Vista PC - seeking advice
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:04:43 am »

I reported earlier that MC did a good job of displaying video captured via a Hauppauge PVR-150 on Vista from a console game without introducing a delay that ruins game play.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40453.0

It seems I spoke too soon. My son has tried some more challenging games and now reports that there is about a 0.5 sec delay which ruins his game play.

I suspect this is not a problem with MC but rather something inherent to Vista and/or the Hauppauge, possibly caused by the hardware compression process and/or the PVR functionality.

So I am back to square one and am seeking advice.

It seems there are two classes of possible solutions.

1) Find a hardware/software combination that enables zero delay capture of composite video on Vista.

2) Bypass Vista and find a hardware box that converts composite video to VGA so that I can directly connect his console game to an unused VGA connector on his LCD monitor.

I have found a reasonably priced box that claims to be a class 2) solution http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?page_id=549 however based on a few user reviews I am pretty sure the video quality will be poor. And I fear that any low cost hardware solution will have poor video quality due to the challenge of converting composite video to VGA.

Does anyone have any advice for zero delay video capture on Vista?

Thanks, Rob

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: OT: console gaming on Vista PC - seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:58:02 am »

I hate to $ay it but I recon you will be better off with a Monitor that has both VGA and a TV Inputs to suite both and not try to route it via the PC (just way to many on the fly conversions being done for real time gaming....)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

rjm

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:27:14 am »

Thanks Nathan.

You may be right. What annoys me is that there were at least two perfectly acceptable solutions on XP using the same PC hardware.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:29:32 am »

Just wondering if you've found an appropriate solution yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up