INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to manage radio stations?  (Read 1330 times)

xake

How to manage radio stations?
« on: May 25, 2007, 11:54:24 pm »

I've used MC for years but primarily for playing my CDs. Never really got the hang of managing Internet radio stations. I've tried creating playlists contain my favorite stations but the underlying URLs are changing all the time. What's the basic technique for managing a list of radio stations without having to fuss over it all the time?

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
Re: How to manage radio stations?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:55:41 pm »

Have you looked at Web Media lately? It's under Audio in the tree.
The improvements are mainly centered on searching for Internet Radio streams from featured websites (like shoutcast and publicradiofan) that have collections of popular radio stations, and a single 'Web favorites" list.

You may or may not find that better than what your doing. There is still no direct function for finding the new urls from broken ones. I'm not sure how we would do that.

Any suggestions for making Web Media & managing Internet Radio stations easier are welcome.

JimN

xake

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:41:22 pm »

Well one simple thing might be to defer the de-ferencing of playlists. For example, http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128-9.m3u is what I get from one radio station. That link is FAIRLY stable but it's contents (the list of streams) changes frequently. It would help a bit if MC memorized the M3U link and looked up the stream at runtime.

dons

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:21:16 pm »

I am in the same boat.  After using MC for years listening to all my ape ripped cds, I bought the ROKU clock radio and it is great for listening to internet radio.  So, I thought it would be great to manage the stations in MC. 
Unfortunately the web audio does not work very well.  It does allow you to search for stations, which is nice.   But many of the stations I added to my favorites would not play, they give a warning about multiple tries. But, if I go to the stations website and choose the listen option, it plays in MC fine.  Then if I take that station and add it to a playlist and click on it in the playlist it works fine.  So the only place it does not work is out of the web audio. 
I noticed the same thing in the playlist, with the streaming information only showing up.  I changed the artist info to be the station name.  That seems to work.  I am not sure if there will be some bad ramifications of that or not.  I will try some more and see what happens.

I would like to hear how others are dealing with this.
Buffalo Terastation, XP Running under Parallels on a Mac Mini, Roku M1000, Roku R1000, iPod Photo 60gig, MC12, over 18,000 songs in ape format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up