INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database location  (Read 2114 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Database location
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:54:51 am »

I have a drive that is beginging to flake out on me.  The drive is strictly used to store about 11,000 .ape files.  I have a backup but I am not sure that all the tag information is complete on the backups.  I want to make sure that I make a complete backup of my MC database on other media (CD) so it can not be damaged.  Where are all the key files located (I used all the defaults when installed) and it would be helpful if I could turn off the auto update feature immediately when I boot MC.  Can I still work on the database files while I have the drive shipped off to be fixed?  Can you advise?

A bummed 
Tunetyme  ?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Database location
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:40:47 pm »

Go File -> Library -> Back Up Library.
It will store all tag data, playlists, custom fields etc. After you get your disk back, or a new one, copy the files from your backup to your disk again. Then restore the Backup.

Not exactly sure what data is stored in ape files, but the backup should be all you need, as long as the files are the same..

You can do a restore of the library even though you do not have the tracks on disk. You can edit the tags I think, but you can't play the tunes. I think you understand that ;)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:44:39 pm »

I want to make sure that I make a complete backup of my MC database on other media (CD) so it can not be damaged.

File > Library > Back Up Library... creates a zip file that contains all database info. It can be restored (File > Library > Restore Library...). When a library is restored it replaces all data in the currently active library. You can also create a new empty libary with the Library Manager and restore the backup file in that library.

Where are all the key files located (I used all the defaults when installed)

On Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12...  (you may need to set hidden folders visible in the Windows Explorer options.)

On Vista the location is slightly different. Someone posted recently the exact location.

The database files have a .jmd extension, but you don't need to backup them separately if you use MC's backup tool. The default cover art location is a subfolder in the same place. The cover art files are not included in a library backup zip file, so you may want to backup the cover art images separately. MC creates also automatic library backup files. You can find them in another subfolder in the same location.

and it would be helpful if I could turn off the auto update feature immediately when I boot MC.

Tools > Options > Auto-Import > Auto-Import Options > Auto-Import Folders > Options > Untick the four tickboxes. You can disable these options before closing MC and removing the drive.

Can I still work on the database files while I have the drive shipped off to be fixed?

The library files that are on the removed drive will remain unchanged if you disabled the background import and maintenance options. They will be offline until the physical files are available again.

Be aware that usually broken drives are not fixed. If the drive is under warranty you will probably get a new empty drive.

Can you advise?

I hope so.  :)

Edit

Also what MrHaugen said. He posted while I was composing my answer.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:10:31 pm »

I split the drive reliability posts to a new thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40846.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up