INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Analyzing Devices" all the time!  (Read 1895 times)

Mike_McCaw

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
"Analyzing Devices" all the time!
« on: May 26, 2003, 02:54:34 pm »

Brand new tuneserver box with XP pro, all patches and updates run.
The ONLY application on this box is Media Jukebox.
I was having problems with the old Plextor W161040A I had put in the box, so I replaced it with a brand new Plextor Premium drive.
Many of the problems I was having disappeared, but now EVERY TIME I insert a new cd, the system locks up and "analyzing devices" appears and persists for over a minute.  Then things proceed normally until I insert a new disk and it has to "analyze devices" again.
I am using only the native XP driver; no other software has been installed on this box.
PLEASE, how can I make it behave properly?  This is very frustrating.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike_McCaw

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
a clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 11:55:42 am »

I've been watching the behavior closely, and have a bit more data if it can help anybody figure out what is happening.
When you first put a disk in the drive, up comes a windows standard dialog box that says "analyzing devices".  The CD drive in the MJ left pane disappears, then re-appears like this: "Audio CD (2) (D:)".  After 10-15 seconds, the analyzing devices window goes away and is replaced by one that says: "Gathering information and updating view", which persists for about 8-10 seconds.  Then it submits the disk to the database, and I can rip normally.
After ripping, when I replace the disk, it usually goes through the "Gathering information" step, but if I've been away for a few minutes, it goes all the way back to the beginning.  
Does any of this ring any bells?
TIA,
Mike McCaw

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: "Analyzing Devices" all the
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 03:30:28 pm »

Mike,

I experienced a similar problem, also under WinXP and with a new Plextor drive.  I also had what appeared to be a related problem in that every time you clicked the right mouse button it took several seconds to respond (I think, because it was polling the CD drive to dynamically populate the context menu).

I tried a number of things that seemed to work for a while (uninstalling other software, for example), but then the problem kept reappearing.  I finally upgraded to MC9 and haven't had any further problems.

I think the problem may be related to the aspi drivers under WinXP.  You can find the aspi drivers in the download section of http://www.adaptec.com.

The key is that you'll want to download and install the version 4.6 drivers, not the newer 4.7 drivers.  Here's a thread that seems to confirm that the 4.7 drivers don't work well under XP, but the version 4.6 drivers do (despite what it says on the adaptec site):

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8724

I also tried installing the 4.6 drivers, then installing the 4.7 drivers on top of 4.6 -- this also seemed to work okay (but you need to install 4.6 first).

If I recall correctly, this fixed the "Analyzing Devices" problem, but the CD would then only burn in TAO mode, not DAO mode and with no CD-Text (I may not remember correctly, I was trying all kinds of things!).

Another thing I found on several occasions was that when the problem seemed to be fixed, it would reappear again as soon as I burned a CD under MJ8.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer (other than I haven't had any problems since upgrading to MC9) but I was never able to get it to work correctly under MJ8.

Hope you have better luck.

Regards... JG

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Analyzing Devices" all the time!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 03:38:38 pm »

Someone,
Thank you for the detail.  Was Windows set to update itself?

Mike_McCaw

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 04:24:26 pm »

Thanks, JG!
It sure helps to know I'm not just nuts.
I have discovered in the meantime that if I SLAVISHLY close the rip log (I rip digital secure) before inserting a new disk, it skips the "analyzing devices" step most of the time, but is still slow like molasses.
And Jim, Yes, windows IS set for automatic updates, and is current.
Thanks,
Mike

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 05:17:21 pm »

Mike,

I have XP set to query for updates but I always review them before applying.  At first I thought the problem was related to one of the patches that was installed, but I now don't think it directly related.

You can see some of the things I looked at under the thread with the subject "MJ very sluggish and no volume control".  I stopped updating the thread with things I tried (esp. aspi) after a while.

You're certainly not nuts!  There's a definite problem going on and I'm very frustrated not to have gotten to the root of it.  I kinda prefer the simplicity of MJ8 over MC9 (not to mention having to pay the extra money), but I'm still a lot happier with MC9 than I used to be!  Awesome products!

Regards... JG
Pages: [1]   Go Up