INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing the Theater View PLAY vs ADD problem once and for all?  (Read 9399 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Build 242 (I think) introduced a neat little feature which placed the last used play selection from the Theater View context menu, at the top of the list of options. It provided a way of customising the menu to do what you want and as you need it. I think this is even better than offering a seperate PLAY behavioural option (which was another idea Matt tossed around last week) because you can set this up as you please while remaining in Theater View!!

I think that allowing all possible menu options to be placed at the top of the context menu would be overkill and somewhat confusing. But, allowing either "Play All" and "Add To Playing Now" (at least) would be fantastic.

Here's why this is a big deal for me:

For as long as me and my family have used Theater View, we've struggled with the way PLAY replaces Playing Now. This is very painful when you are trying to build a playlist on the fly and you accidently hit enter twice on a selected item while navigating. This of course selects the play item on the context menu and blows away all your hard work.

Having a feature like the one alluded to a few builds ago would allow me to Add one item to Playing Now once, and then be assured that subseqent Add attempts will not result in frustration. Therefore, I could do this:

Add To Playing Now
Play All
Play
More
Cancel

Could JR please consider re-introducing this feature?

Thanks for listening.

Ralf.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Fixing the Theater View PLAY vs ADD problem once and for all?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »

I don't really build complicated playlists from Theater View, so some of this is lost on me.

However, I'm not sure if your suggestion is enough because other people want a way to lock Playing Now so a party guest, etc. can _never_ replace it. (with the play button, etc.)

An optional confirmation when replacing playing now?

A lock option inside Playing Now?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

I don't really build complicated playlists from Theater View, so some of this is lost on me.

It's a shame that I'm clearly in the minority. I use Theater View EXCLUSIVELY on all my HTPC's so building complicated playlists happens all the time - especially since we can now save them too!

"Locking" Theater View is a good idea for a party etc but not really what I'm talking about here.

Ralf.
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:23:23 pm »

Build 242 (I think) introduced a neat little feature which placed the last used play selection from the Theater View context menu, at the top of the list of options.

This doesn't work for people like me since as this item changes, it just makes things confusing -- i.e. it takes extra thought to do a VERY simply thing like play an album.

I FULLY support the idea of allowing people to configure the "top" item in the list, but I am opposed to having it "remember" the last setting.

To my thinking (just to clarify where I am coming from here), the "Play All" selection should be at the top since this is the most "album friendly" choice -- i.e. it mimics the concept of a CD player, which I think is important.  I don't think that playing an album in MC should ever be more complicated that playing a CD in a CD player.  As long as the top item is "Play all," then playing an album (from the beginning OR from the middle) is as simple as "selecting" a song and hitting "select" again.  This is the most common action in playback behavior, so it should be a VERY easy, intuitive process.

Larry

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:24:56 pm »

This doesn't work for people like me since as this item changes, it just makes things confusing ...

But this would never be a concern for you because I bet you never use the ADD option right? That's why I suggested to limit the feature to PLAY ALL and ADD only.

I FULLY support the idea of allowing people to configure the "top" item in the list, but I am opposed to having it "remember" the last setting.

I'd be happy with this but I've suggested it many times before and it never received any attention from JR.... though others supported it.
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:40:31 pm »

But this would never be a concern for you because I bet you never use the ADD option right?

I didn't mean to imply that I "never" use "add" -- I actually do use it sometimes.  I just prefer to have the behavior more "weighted" toward playing albums like you would with a CD player, so I think of using "Add" as a secondary (albeit still necessary) function.

That's why I suggested to limit the feature to PLAY ALL and ADD only.

I'm not sure I follow.  Could you clarify what you mean by this?

I'd be happy with this but I've suggested it many times before and it never received any attention from JR.... though others supported it.

True, but JR tends to focus on certain specific things for long periods of time, so it can sometimes seem like they aren't responding to certain requests when in fact they're just dealing with other issues for the time being.  They may still be considering this as a possible solution.

Larry

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:45:36 pm »

I'm not sure I follow.  Could you clarify what you mean by this?

Selecting "Add to Playing Now" would put this selection at the top of the list. Likewise, selecting "Play All" would put this option back at the top of the list and therefore re-instating the default ordering.

Selecting anything else, like "Remove" for instance, would have no effect.

Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:00:36 pm »

Selecting "Add to Playing Now" would put this selection at the top of the list. Likewise, selecting "Play All" would put this option back at the top of the list and therefore re-instating the default ordering.

Selecting anything else, like "Remove" for instance, would have no effect.

I see -- so you're talking about it remembering the last function used and placing it at the top.  Unfortunately, since I do use the other functions, this would just make things confusing for me.  I much prefer being able to rely on certain functions being in certain spots so I can hit the buttons without having to verify that the function I activate is in fact that one I want.

Thanks for clarifying,

Larry

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:58 am »

...this would just make things confusing for me.  I much prefer being able to rely on certain functions being in certain spots so I can hit the buttons without having to verify that the function I activate is in fact that one I want.

Well, I honestly don't know then. JR don't like adding more options and this was a better solution than that anyway I thought.

The Play = Replace thing and the difficulty in building playlists on-the-fly reliably has never made sense to me but that's clearly an opinion few others share.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:33 am »

Also, consider this.... It is now harder than ever to build a playlist in Theater View with the addition of the "Play All" menu option. I now have to arrow over TWO play options for every item I want to add! Double the effort and double the chance of blowing away my playlist unintentionally!!

Anyway, like I said, I'm obviously on my own with all this so I'm probably going to have to accept it and let it go. 
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:47 am »

other people want a way to lock Playing Now so a party guest, etc. can _never_ replace it. (with the play button, etc.)

An optional confirmation when replacing playing now?

A lock option inside Playing Now?

How about offering a choice of "top" item in this menu, and then locking out the "add" choice when in party mode?  Is this a possible solution?  The "top item" selection could be offered in the "Advanced" Theater View options (called something like "Play Menu - Top Item"), and it would only need to include a few different choices, such as some combination of "Play All," "Add," and "Remember last."  Does this go beyond the "settings overload" point?

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 07:18:44 am »

I put some comments about this in the build thread... Just for good measure, I'm going to quote myself here.

I do still agree with the others though that an option is needed for configuring Theater View's default action, despite the fact that the current situation works for me.  I personally think a Options --> Theater View --> Behavior --> Default Action option is the best solution.  Set it to default to Play All and give us essentially the same options as under the Double-Click behavior option.  The "alternate" idea (of using the most recently used item) would also work for me, though I'd prefer the manually set option I think.

I, like Larry, prefer the option idea.  I'd live with the most recently used idea as well, though I'd prefer it to apply to ALL of the choices under "More" not some arbitrarily limited subset of those options.  I only occasionally use Add to Playing Now (and basically NEVER use "single" Play).  I do use Add (as Next To Play) quite frequently though, and would like quicker access to it.

All in all though, I think the option is the most reasonable idea.  It is an "expected" behavior, based on the situation with Standard View and the double-click setting.

The locking idea wouldn't solve this particular problem for me, and I wouldn't ever use it.  I like my guests to be able to modify the playlists if they want to.  If they blow away a carefully constructed list -- well -- that's what "Recent Playing Nows" is for, and honestly, I have bigger things to worry about.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 07:51:04 am »

Thanks for your input guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the option too. The only reason I offered up the "most recently used" idea was because it was trialed in at least one build last week and I know how reluctant JR are at adding more options (and rightfully so I guess).

I personally like this idea the most:

How about offering a choice of "top" item in this menu...

This way, Play can always just mean "play". Users don't have to concearn themselves or be aware of what Play actually means. Therefore, Play can be what it's always been while giving we playlist builders an effective means of adding content easily.

Thanks again.

PS - the party mode thing is not something I've ever requested personally and not really related to what this thread's about IMO.
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:47:53 am »

I'll just add to this discussion that "Play All" at the top is fine for audio, but probably not the first choice for videos.

So in some ways the top item for Audio should probably be "Play All", but for Video should be "Play".

Or I guess if we get most recently used instead each media type (Audio, Image, Video) needs to remember it's own setting.

Richard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:29 am »

I'll just add to this discussion that "Play All" at the top is fine for audio, but probably not the first choice for videos.

Just to note (I know raym and Larry know this but I figured I'd point you towards the other discussion), I feel quite differently about Video and using Play All:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40785.msg278343#msg278343

That's why we need an option.  What works for you doesn't work for me and vice versa.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:49 pm »

Is there any consensus?  We're really not a fan of a bunch of per-media-type options since it adds lots of options and doesn't account for playlists, tv, etc.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:18:31 pm »

My vote (and I think Larry's) is:

Add a new option: Options --> Theater View --> Behavior --> Default Action.  Provide all the same options as are currently available in Options --> General --> Behavior --> Double Click, except for File Properties (obviously).  This won't be media specific, but as you mentioned this can be confusing and is, IMHO, a bit of overkill.  I think this would satisfy 99% of the issues reported with this...

It also makes sense because Theater View already has it's own Behavior section, and the Jump On Play option is already duplicated there.  It just seems like that'd be the solution that would make the most people the most happy.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:12:28 pm »

Add a new option: Options --> Theater View --> Behavior --> Default Action.  Provide all the same options as are currently available in Options --> General --> Behavior --> Double Click, except for File Properties (obviously).  This won't be media specific, but as you mentioned this can be confusing and is, IMHO, a bit of overkill.  I think this would satisfy 99% of the issues reported with this...

It also makes sense because Theater View already has it's own Behavior section, and the Jump On Play option is already duplicated there.  It just seems like that'd be the solution that would make the most people the most happy.

Yes -- I believe that this would be the best solution as well.

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 03:41:51 pm »

But what does "Default action" mean?  What's at the top of the menu, or what happens when you pick "Play" from the menu, or what happens when you press the remote's "Play" button?

And I thought you said you were fine with how it is now?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:06:41 pm »

I agree it can get confusing messing with this!!!! Therefore, leave PLAY alone so there's no confusion what the heck it means and simply provide an option allowing us to choose what the top menu item is - across the board for ALL media types. Simple.

Is this do-able?

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 06:17:40 pm »

Just a thought,

What about just having Play at the top of the menu, and then when you select this you get the options of "Play this file", "Play all files from here" (meaning play from this file down)?

I'm sure this doesn't work for everybody either, but it might be clearer for people that aren't that familiar with a system like visitors or friends.

I know it introduces another key press which is a disadvantage, but hey it's just another suggestion, and for those us us that know more about what we're doing, we could use the play button on the remote.

Richard

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 06:32:22 pm »

But what does "Default action" mean?  What's at the top of the menu, or what happens when you pick "Play" from the menu, or what happens when you press the remote's "Play" button?

I can't speak for everybody else, but was referring to the idea of being able to configure what was at the top of the menu.  In my example above, I called the option something like "Play Menu Top Item."

Regarding the remote's "Play" button, I STRONGLY feel that this should mean "Play All" since this is already the excepted, well established standard with CD and DVD players.  If a user hits "Play" on the remote on the first song on an album and playback stops after this song, I believe that they'll be confused about why playback stopped.  The standard, expected behavior when hitting "Play" on a song in an album (or group of songs) is to have all visible songs loaded into the "Now Playing" playlist, and have playback start from the hi-lighted song, allowing the user to hit "next" and "previous" for any song in the list, including the ones that came before the hi-lighted selection.  Having more capabilities with a pop-up menu is one thing, but the remote control "Play" should be treated as it is on DVD and CD players.

That said, if you're going to have "Play" refer to playing ONLY the single file that's hi-lighted, I'm not sure that "Play" is the best word for it in the pop-up menu anymore since this is somewhat ambiguous now.  Until recently, the behavior when hitting "Play" on a song was to play all the songs in the group.  This is how it works in Standard View, and once again it's the standard with CD and DVD players.  In the MC pop-up menu, however, "Play" now actually means "Play Hi-lighted" or "Play Single," so perhaps it should actually say something like this in order to be totally clear.  I think that "most" people will expect "Play" to mean "Play All" in this situation, so maybe we should eliminate the ambiguity completely and have "Play All" and "Play Hi-lighted" (or "Play Single," or something that indicates that only the hi-lighted song will be played.)

Just some other thoughts.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 06:35:08 pm »

What about just having Play at the top of the menu, and then when you select this you get the options of "Play this file", "Play all files from here" (meaning play from this file down)?

I'm sure this doesn't work for everybody either, but it might be clearer for people that aren't that familiar with a system like visitors or friends.

I don't think this is the best approach since it essentially makes everybody have to go through extra steps rather than working "simply" for at least SOME users.

Larry

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 06:39:04 pm »

:o

I don't think this is the best approach since it essentially makes everybody have to go through extra steps rather than working "simply" for at least SOME users.

Exactly. Let me repeat what this thread is supposed to be about....

I raised this topic because I believe adding content repeatedly to Playing Now is harder than it should be. The way Play and Play All work is fine and should NOT be changed IMO.

All I'm requesting is a way of choosing what the top item on the context menu is. That's it!!!!
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 07:13:23 pm »

And I thought you said you were fine with how it is now?

By default action I just mean the item that gets used when you do a "double enter" on an item -- so, yes, the top item in the menu.  You can call it whatever you want.

And, no, I would not change the meaning of Play.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 06:12:36 am »

Thanks Glynor. Totally agree. Leave Play alone. He's good!

So Matt, what do you say? A tiny little user option to allow us to choose what menu item appears at the top?

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:14:08 am »

Thanks Glynor. Totally agree. Leave Play alone. He's good!

So Matt, what do you say? A tiny little user option to allow us to choose what menu item appears at the top?

Thanks.

We're not sold.  Because I'm building a playlist with "Add" today, doesn't mean I will tomorrow.

No change or remembering the last command at the top would be better in my opinion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 10:28:53 am »

No change or remembering the last command at the top would be better in my opinion.

I'm willing to accept both of these as well.  My opinion on this is:

Provide an Option: 51%
Remember Last Used: 48%
Keep As Is Now: 1%

The main reason I give the slight edge to Provide an Option is that it would be less confusing for novice users (IMHO).  Personally, the "Remember Last Used" option would be more powerful and more useful.  I'd really like the ability for it to remember Add (As Next To Play) though in addition to Play (Single) and Add (To End), though, as that's the one I use the most.

As I stated before... Since it happens to work for my workflow as it is now, I don't mind if it's left as is (I use Play All 99% of the time).  I'm just trying to 1) think of my compatriots here, and 2) help really end this constant battle once and for all.

EDIT:  Maybe the real answer is Provide an Option To Remember The Last Used, and make it default to turned on.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:50 pm »

Since Im a "ADD" person and have been ever since Hairstyle.

or remembering the last command at the top would be better in my opinion

This would work good, for me.

Thanks

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 01:37:54 pm »

My personal vote is this.

By default Play is at the top.

Play, Add to Playing Now, and Select can then be moved to the top if they are chosen. Chances are if you're selecting one item, you're going to be selecting more. Chances are, if you're adding an item to Playing Now then it's because you want to preserve what's already there and add new content as you go. So it makes sense that Theater View can help you do these tasks more easily by making them the "double click" action from there on until you choose something other than these three.

I'm not sure that giving all of the other Add to Playing Now variants this same treatment is all that important. If you're adding a file to play next, chances are you don't then want your next choice to play next instead. And if you do, then you can spend the extra couple of button pushes to make it happen.

So, in summary, I say make Play, Add to Playing Now, and Select all vie for top position in the menu automatically. It seems to me to be the least intrusive option and it's actually helping you use the product.

But honestly, whichever way JRiver decides to go with this, I really think they need to pick a paradigm and stick to it. It's getting a little difficult selling people (fiance, parents, etc) on this system when it's constantly changing. A few months ago, I told my fiance to use the enter button to open the menu on an item and choose Open to drill down. Then I had to tell her to just use the enter button and it would open, but if she wanted the menu she had to use the menu button. Now I'm telling her to just just Right to open an item and the enter button to open the menu again. I hope you can see the problem in this. Granted, this isn't as pronounced for the people who aren't beta testers, but even the build that's up for download in the public forum is using a different Theater View paradigm than what they're going to get the next time a build is available to them.

Don't get me wrong, the development on Theater View is exciting, and we need these kinds of discussions in order for progress to be made, but sometimes trying to teach a potential customer how to use MC can be like trying to count bees in a hive.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 01:42:50 pm »

After playing around with it some more, I'm thinking Show should be included in that list of things that vie for the top spot as well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 01:48:09 pm »

After playing around with it some more, I'm thinking Show should be included in that list of things that vie for the top spot as well.

I think you might be confusing the topic a bit.  We are ONLY discussing changing this when you are at the file-listing level.  Otherwise, Show will always remain the top choice (so Double-Enter always "shows", same as Right Arrow).  This is a requirement for those using Thumbnail View mode.

You also didn't mention Play All or the difference between Play All and Play.  If you read the above (and all the other threads on this topic), you'll see that Play All is a pretty big requirement for many of us.

I, personally, never use Select, but if you're into that I'd be happy for the list to be:

Play All
Play Single
Add
Select

And have it use whichever was last used as the "top option" (so therefore used as the "Double Enter" choice).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:32 pm »

Ah, I see. Replace "Show" with "Play All" in my comment above.

Although is there any reason why this shouldn't be the same for the levels above the file level as well?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 03:41:43 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback.

We've made some changes for the next build. 

We think we're done now.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 04:29:26 pm »

We think we're done now.

Uh-oh -- I missed joining in on this conversation today, so I really hope this doesn't mean that it's back to remembering the "last used" item and putting it at the top.  The reason that I REALLY don't like this is that I think it's going to sting most people at some point.  In my usage (and I think others are like this as well), I get "used to" the configuration and don't wait to "read" the items in menus.  To start playback, I hit "Enter-Enter" (I can also use "Right-Enter") in quick succession because I know that "Play All" (which used to be called "Play") is at the top.  I do this quickly enough that I don't even SEE the menu pop up.  I don't have to wait for the pop-up and read it in order to either verify it, or navigate to the item I want.  If I can't "rely" on it being "Play All" (since on some occasions it won't be) I'll end up checking it most of the time.  I also have a sinking feeling that other users of my setup will be confused by the shifting menu items.

This is why I think it's vastly better to offer a "choice" rather than forcing the "remember last item" approach, which I ALWAYS turn off in applications that offer it.  Note that if it's a choice, one of the possible choices could still be "remember last."

Thanks,

Larry

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 06:58:06 pm »

We think we're done now.

Build 250. Thanks so much Matt. This implementation is perfect!!!

Some very minor asthetic things:

It may not make sense to show last selection in Playing Now. ADD (for instance) doesn't really make sense here. Perhaps default Play options for Playing Now, last selection everywhere else?

And, "Play All" doesn't make sense when the option is given for a single item does it? Shouldn't it be just "Play"?

Thanks again!

Ralf.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »

I too think this is a really great compromise, and after using it for just a few minutes, I've come to really like it.  I can actually build nice complex playlists on the fly in Theater View.  That was never something I necessarily aspired to, but now that I can, I think I will!

Mindful of Larry's concerns... Larry, I tend to agree with you on general principles.  For example, I despise the "hide items you haven't used" features that Microsoft seemed to fall in love with there for a while, and disable those features immediately.

However, this is slick.  The rest of the menu is static.  The only item that changes is the top item (the Double-Enter item).  All other choices remain available in the same order and location.  This makes it easy to quickly and painlessly choose what "double click" will do in the Theater View context, and then switch to some other "file playing" motif another time (in another situation). 

So, if you always use Play (All) or Play (Single) or Add then it'll always stay that way.  But, if you happen to decide to build an on-the-fly playlist (where you usually use Play All) then you can just DO it and not have to dig into some menu in Standard View that you can't read on the TV!  Usually, if you're going to be building "on the fly" lists, you're going to want to Add or Add (Next) over and over again.  Then, later on when you're just watching some shows or whatever, you just pick Play All or Play Single the first time and you're set from there on out.

I like it a lot.  Hopefully others will too.  I'd say, worst case, add a Options --> Theater View --> Behavior --> Remember Last Used Play Style as Default Action choice (defaulting to enabled).  I'd say if you give it a chance, you'll probably like it.

And, "Play All" doesn't make sense when the option is given for a single item does it? Shouldn't it be just "Play"?

This is a pretty minor quibble.  I'd guess they'd have to add annoying logic to hide the Play All choice only when viewing a File-Level list with only one choice (so everytime you show the context menu it'd have to check the Play All item against the number of items in the collection to be displayed).  Play and Play All just do the same thing when that happens, which I'd say is obvious and intuitive!

I agree that it's a bit confusing in Playing Now though.  So, basically, true and true, but certainly minor "tweaks" and not worth losing this great compromise!!

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 07:58:02 pm »

That's a pretty minor quibble

That's why I said "minor" too! They were just suggestions for tweaks.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 07:59:40 pm »

That's why I said "minor" too! They were just suggestions for tweaks.

Agreed.  I'm just thinking out loud mostly (well, I guess more "in text" than "out loud" but you probably catch my drift).

Or you might... If you understand any of those colloquialisms.   ::)  :D

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2007, 12:03:06 am »

I like the new .250 changes too, my only minor request is that  the top item be linked to the media view (Audio, Images, Video) just like the list style is.

This way I can have Play at the top for my Video files and "Play All" for my audio and image files.

But once again it's only a minor thing as I think theater view is really taking GREAT shape now!

Cheers
Richard

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:39 am »

We've made some changes for the next build

Perfect !

Thanks Matt

We think we're done now

I hope so.

;D

This should make everyone happy.

glynor: Thanks for looking at the flip side of the coin.

Raym: Thanks for projecting the "add" peoples side.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2007, 01:50:50 pm »

I don't understand!

Some time ago "Play All" played all the files! Now, with build 250 "Play All" plays only the one file selected!
What should "Play All" really do?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 01:52:36 pm »

Play All plays the selected file, but adds the rest of the files to the Playing Now list.  That's how it's always been and it works for me!

"Play" plays only the selected track, but replaces the playing now list.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 08:30:24 am »

Yeah, the Play All thing really doesn't make any sense to me.

Consider this scenario.

I wanted to play two files (videos in this case). So I navigated down to the file list, and selected the two files. Now what? All I've got is Play All and Add. Oh look! If I go to More, there's Play!

It would seem to me that once you've selected a file, Play All doesn't really make sense anymore. So at the least, in this case, it should be replaced with Play. Although in my mind, I think both Play and Play All should always be present on that menu. I shouldn't have to Select, then More, then Play just to play a single song. I really shouldn't have to Select and then Play, either. If Play were moved to the topmost menu, then you could have Play on a single file that just plays that one file. And Play All can play all, but start on the currently selected file.

Also... am I the only one that thinks the menus that are above the file level should basically be the same only with the addition of the Show item? More often than not, I'm building a playlist of different albums, rather than different files. This kind of functionality would be very welcome at the upper levels as well. I can understand why it's not, but I still wish it were.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:24 am »

It would seem to me that once you've selected a file, Play All doesn't really make sense anymore. So at the least, in this case, it should be replaced with Play.

I've explained over and over and over why it is absolutely essential that Play All be available when a single file is selected.  Read the thread I linked to in my posting above, or try searching for "play all" and my user name and you'll find all kinds of discussions about it.

When playing Video files, I use Play All at the File-listing-level almost 100% of the time, as does Larry and many other users.  Play All is the same as the default option in Standard View's Double-Click setting, so (even if you don't like it) it's what most users would expect to be the default action in Theater View.

Consider this scenario.

I wanted to play two files (videos in this case). So I navigated down to the file list, and selected the two files. Now what? All I've got is Play All and Add. Oh look! If I go to More, there's Play!

In your scenario, you didn't need to select the files first and jump through all those hoops.  Navigate down to the file level, select the file you want to play FIRST, and then choose Play All.  It'll play that file, and when it's done, it'll play the next one in order, and so on and so forth.  I NEVER, EVER use the Select function basically, except for when building music playlists on the fly in combination with the Add function (and when I want to select only a subset of the files listed in a view).  This is pretty rare for me...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:32 pm »

I've explained over and over and over why it is absolutely essential that Play All be available when a single file is selected.  Read the thread I linked to in my posting above, or try searching for "play all" and my user name and you'll find all kinds of discussions about it.

You're not understanding me. I want to select (there's a menu option for it - it shows a box with an X in it on the selected files) a SINGLE file and play that SINGLE file without adding every other file to Playing Now. If I wanted everything else to play as well, then I wouldn't be selecting a SINGLE file. If I select a single file, or two or three or whatever, then Play All is useless to me. If I wanted to Play All, I wouldn't be selecting a subset of the files in the list. If I just wanted to play everything in the list, then I'd scroll to the file I wanted to start with, and choose Play All, like you describe. But that's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

In your scenario, you didn't need to select the files first and jump through all those hoops.  Navigate down to the file level, select the file you want to play FIRST, and then choose Play All.  It'll play that file, and when it's done, it'll play the next one in order, and so on and so forth.  I NEVER, EVER use the Select function basically, except for when building music playlists on the fly in combination with the Add function (and when I want to select only a subset of the files listed in a view).  This is pretty rare for me...

Explain to me how doing this will enable me to pick TWO files out of a list of twenty and play just those TWO files without playing everything else. If I wanted to play every file in the list, I wouldn't be selecting TWO of them in the first place. It may be a rare occurance for you, but what you do is a rare occurrance for me. What I'm talking about above in no way affects what you're trying to do.

It's really simple. If I'm selecting (showing the x's) a subset of files, then I expect a menu that reflects that. Play All is clearly not what I'm interested in doing once I've started selecting a subset of files from a list.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 12:51:47 pm »

Sorry... I did misunderstand completely.

You didn't say "out of a list of twenty" in your original example, so I thought you meant a list with only two files showing.  I get it now, and I agree... In that specific case (when you have a subset of files selected) the option in the menu really should be called "Play" not "Play All".  However.... Perhaps you haven't actually tried using Play All in this scenario though...  To be clear, it does actually WORK the way you want it to, it's just called something a little odd.

So, to answer:

Explain to me how doing this will enable me to pick TWO files out of a list of twenty and play just those TWO files without playing everything else.

If you're in Theater View and you Select a set of 2-3 files out of a list of 20, and highlight one of them, hit enter, and then choose Play All from the menu, it plays only those files that are selected, and not the entire list.  You do certainly need to use the Select function as you indicated, but then Play All works just fine and you do not need to go into More to get to the Play (Single) choice.

I'm personally not opposed to them adding Play as one of the permanent top-level choices, but since it works properly (and since we now have the "remembered" double-enter position) I don't think it's that much of a hardship to go to the More menu once when you want to play just one file and then have it stop.  I mean... How often do you want to do that?  I can see wanting to use Add all the time, but how often do you want to play just one file and then stop playing (or repeat), and then wait till it's over and do it again over and over again?  That seems like a fairly specialty case, and therefore deserves to be on a sub-menu.  They're obviously trying to keep the choices shown in the menu to an absolute minimum to avoid confusion.  Therefore, I think the current option of Play All (which was previously basically the ONLY choice), the ability to use Select and then Play All, and the remembered top level choice gives you plenty of flexibility...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:55 pm »

Well, now I'm all kinds of confused because I just fired it up to try what you said and there's a simple Play item as well as Play All.

Play All without first Selecting adds all to Playing Now and starts playing the file that the cursor was on.
Play with the cursor on it clears Playing Now and plays just that one file.
Both Play and Play All with files Selected clears Playing Now and just plays those files.

Don't ask me where the Play menu item just came from. It wasn't there before.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 03:03:44 pm »

Don't ask me where the Play menu item just came from. It wasn't there before.

It remembers whichever one you used last as the top item.  That's the new feature we're all discussing here.  Check that thread I linked to above for a lengthy discussion of why...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 05:20:54 pm »

12.0.251 (06/04/07)

8. Changed: "Play All" won't appear in the Theater View menu in Playing Now or when making a selection.

Well... I guess they agreed!   ;D

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up