INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing the Theater View PLAY vs ADD problem once and for all?  (Read 9362 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Fixing the Theater View PLAY vs ADD problem once and for all?
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 06:14:43 pm »

It remembers whichever one you used last as the top item.  That's the new feature we're all discussing here.  Check that thread I linked to above for a lengthy discussion of why...

D'oh! You're right. I must have used the Play menu item from the "More" submenu.

This is what happens when you don't get enough sleep. :P

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2007, 10:24:56 am »

It would probably be a good idea to move this thread and this one here over to the regular MC12 board, so that other users can have some background on all the great new Theater View stuff.

EDIT: Thanks, Jim!   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:53 pm »

What happend to the space key that just did as the the double click behavior under General options said? I belive this was set to honor that selection before right? Or is it just in my head? Don't like messin around with menus when in theater view at all! I don't think my guests like it either...

I'm scrolling through lists, and if I hit space on one song I want it to do what the default behavior says. If I hit space on a genre, album or a playlist I want all of the files under that category to do whatever the default behavior says.
Who is it that really scrolls through a playlist and always want to play them all? Why not just hit the whole playlist right away?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 02:41:12 pm »

Who is it that really scrolls through a playlist and always want to play them all? Why not just hit the whole playlist right away?

I prefer to select a "song" and have it load the whole visible list into Playing Now.  See the earlier posts in this thread for more info on this, but in general, I like this behavior because 1) it matches the behavior in Standard View, and 2) it matches the behavior on all CD players.

Don't like messin around with menus when in theater view at all! I don't think my guests like it either...

Neither do I, but there is no consensus on what the default behavior should be, so the menus were created as a compramise in order to offer different behaviors depending on your needs.

Larry

MrHaugen

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »

I prefer to select a "song" and have it load the whole visible list into Playing Now.  See the earlier posts in this thread for more info on this, but in general, I like this behavior because 1) it matches the behavior in Standard View, and 2) it matches the behavior on all CD players.

It don't mach the behavior in standard view when you for example have set the default action for double-click to add track to the end of playing now. MC is not simply a CD player. And thank god for that.
What I'm talking about is one key that automaticly plays or add files (as you want it to do!). Without the irritating menus. If you want any other action than that, then hit the enter key and select from a menu. If you hit the space key on top of a group then play the whole group instead. I belive that this was the function for the space key before. If not it really should be added.

I really do belive that, a space key action (you have chosen in options, like add singel track and play next) who plays all if, one group is selected (like album, playlist or what ever) or a single track if only one track is selected, would be solving 90% of peoples wishes.
This would prevent a hell of alot of menus.

Neither do I, but there is no consensus on what the default behavior should be, so the menus were created as a compramise in order to offer different behaviors depending on your needs.

I know there are not much consensus on this. What more reason do we need to get a way of choosing the default behavior our self? And again, I'm not takling about removing the enter key functions. That one proves usefull many times on special ocations. I'm talking about the holy space.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2007, 05:23:18 pm »

MC is not simply a CD player. And thank god for that.

But there is a valid argument to have it mimic the behavior of a CD player in this regard.  I personally prefer this "album centric" approach to playback, where playback starts from the selected song and continues through the rest of the songs in the list, and where you can go to "previous" songs BEFORE the one you selected.

I know there are not much consensus on this. What more reason do we need to get a way of choosing the default behavior our self? And again, I'm not takling about removing the enter key functions. That one proves usefull many times on special ocations. I'm talking about the holy space.

I have no problem with being able to define actions in this respect -- I'm not arguing against that.  The problem is the idea of "settings overload," which JR doesn't want to have happen.

Larry

MrHaugen

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 02:30:09 am »

But there is a valid argument to have it mimic the behavior of a CD player in this regard.  I personally prefer this "album centric" approach to playback, where playback starts from the selected song and continues through the rest of the songs in the list, and where you can go to "previous" songs BEFORE the one you selected.

Fine. I can understand that some like this.

I have no problem with being able to define actions in this respect -- I'm not arguing against that.  The problem is the idea of "settings overload," which JR doesn't want to have happen.

If they are not willing to put in a default action for the space key, they will have this discussion again and again. If the program are to be behaving like all users want to then there have to be more options. If they are afraid of it to mess up due to settings overload then put it under Options -> Theater View -> Advanced. There most people will keep away from; at least those that ARE happy with the defaults. And the ones that are not can go there and tweak.
Zoom Player is the worlds best video player imho. The reason is the ability to tweak it in alot of ways. But, yes, It's important that the defaults work in a logical way, so they don't confuse regular users, yes.

I belive that there have to be a possibility to have one key wich works without having to go through menus (and allways playing ALL). I belive the space key allowed this before.
I'm one of those liking it as simple as it gets. A modern guy who like it tidy and as clean as possible. And I think there are more like me out there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up