INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will VST plug ins work?  (Read 2767 times)

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
Will VST plug ins work?
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:45:49 am »

I'd like to try a digital room correction package ... similar to this one:

http://www.juicehifi.com/

According to their site the system requirements are:

A computer with Windows XP or Windows Vista with .NET executable installed. Sound card, microphone and microphone preamp for measurement purposes is also required.

Recommended program for real time convolution:

The open source program  Convolver made by John Pavel. Audiolense automatically generates configuration files that interface with

Convolver. Convolver comes in three packages:

o  Convolver that can be inserted as a plugin in for instance Windows Mediaplayer

o  Convolverwrapper that can be inserted as a plugin in some of the other software players

o  ConvolverVST that can be inserted as a VST plugin in Console or another VST host.

Any real time convolution program that can handle wav files with 32 bit floating point words can be used.

Question: will a convolution program like ConvolverVST work in JR MC12?  If so, is there a thread / advice on how to give it a try?

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: Will VST plug ins work?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:28:11 pm »

Just use the directx host from the plugin download page. With this plugin u can host a VST file.

Look here:

http://accessories.jrmediacenter.com/mediacenter/accessories.php
under DSP - plugins
tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:35:08 pm »

Upping this topic.

Since I also wan't to use the digital room correction package from www.juicehifi.com, I wan't to know if the directx host also will work when playing video..dvd's, avi's etc..?

If not, is this something we can expect in future versions..? Would prefer one program to do-it-all..

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:44:21 pm »

Most of this can be done in Vista, btw: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713073

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:08:40 am »

Thanks for the reply.

But, even though Vista's room-correction is better than none at all..it is NOT a substitute for what's discussed here.

So I'm still asking.. :)..will there be a possibility to use directx host for processing audio while watching video..?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:06 am »

So I'm still asking.. :)..will there be a possibility to use directx host for processing audio while watching video..?

Sorry... I don't know.  My guess would be no, but I think you might need a JRiver person to comment on this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:53:13 pm »

Not to step on any toes..but WMP10, 11 can do this.. ;)

But NO, I wan't to use MC..!!!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 04:24:53 pm »

Not to step on any toes..but WMP10, 11 can do this.. ;)

But NO, I wan't to use MC..!!!!

Like I said... I'm completely guessing here, so don't put a lot of weight into my guess.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 10:28:07 am »

I did manage to get the AudioLens measurement > AudioLens correction filter > convolverX plugin to work within the MC12 directX plug in.

It's been a bit "buggy" at times.  ConvolverX "hangs" occasionally, and/or won't "come on" at some sample rates.  (You can "check" to make it active but then it "unchecks" itself and won't activate.)  On those occasions I've removed ConvolverX via XPs remove program buttons, and, then gone into the registry and deleted remaining ConvolverX registry items.  That's fixed it in all instances.  I don't want to overstate the magnitude of the issue: this has happened perhaps a half dozen times in 20 hours of use, and only happens when I'm rapidly shifting sampling frequencies and/or doing A/B listening to alternative correction profiles.  Under "normal routine use" this has NOT been a problem.

The improvement to sound quality is pretty impressive in a poor / untreated room and/or in rooms where speaker/listener placement has not already been optimized.  Most people will find the corrected versions much (much) better than uncorrected playback.  In my room, which was engineered to have terrific acoustics, the ConvolverX room correction process does not sound superior to uncorrected playback.  (I had similar experiences with Tact units several years back.)

Syncing with video may be an issue.  The correction filters have a fair amount of latency.  There are options in AudioLens to select "lower levels of correction" with corresponding lower levels of latency, and, the software will tell you exactly what the latency of the correction filter is.  I'm pretty sure that would work fine if your processor/receiver has options for lip sync delay.

As an aside, the guy that runs AudioLens has been extremely responsive and helpful.  He even took a few of my measurement files and gave me tips about how to best configure the software for corrections.

ps -- as an aside, I personally believe an "integrated" plug in that enabled high quality speaker and room correction would be a real plus.  It's great technology that's rapidly improving, and should be a natural for pc based playback vs. traditional transports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up