INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Startup Options - Doesn't remember that Tree is closed  (Read 1102 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Startup Options - Doesn't remember that Tree is closed
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:52:52 am »

Just noticed that if I close the navigation tree window completely, just leaving the view scheme visible, and then shutdown and restart MC - the tree window is reopened.  I have my startup options set to "Last Exit View" - could this be extended to remember whether the navigation tree is open or closed?

Thanks.

Mark

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Startup Options - Doesn't remember that Tree is closed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 01:05:55 pm »

If you search the entire forum (including MC11's board) you'll see that this has been asked for a few times before.  Some people really want it, because they don't like to use the tree view very much.  However, for most users, the Tree is an essential navigation tool (hiding the tree also hides the Action Window which is also fairly essential).

The concern of JRiver folks over this is that novice users would lose the tree and not be able to use the application at all.  As is, if they lose it (by accidentally closing it), they can always close and re-open the program to get it back.  They did do usability testing on it and they discovered there was a large population of users who would get confused by this option...  So, that is the concern.

Why they can't add a non-default option to "remember tree hidden status", I'm not sure, but then I don't work there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 01:33:40 pm »

On a related note, I would really like if, when working with the tree hidden and choosing something like the "Tag" option beneath a thumbnail, that the tree, and therefore the action window, would automatically unhide so that the action window, which has essentially been requested by clicking on "Tag", would be automatically available.

I would have thought that if a new user had hidden the tree, then chosen the "Tag" option, they could be left scratching their heads wondering why clicking "Tag" doesn't appear to do anything at all.

-marko.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:35:41 pm »

Just noticed that if I close the navigation tree window completely, just leaving the view scheme visible, and then shutdown and restart MC - the tree window is reopened.  I have my startup options set to "Last Exit View" - could this be extended to remember whether the navigation tree is open or closed?

Thanks.

Mark

I'll join in to request this as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up