INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple TV  (Read 1415 times)

appletv

Apple TV
« on: June 21, 2007, 03:35:08 pm »

Can MC sync or stream to an Apple TV? 

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Apple TV
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

For $300, I honestly believe you could almost build an entire HTPC.  Here's my HTPC cost:

$100 case (much nicer than you'd need)
$70 CPU
$70 mobo
$50 memory
$30 remote

There you go, $320...use built in audio, built in VGA...

You could even use a laptop and get a small form factor.  When it comes down to it, my method costs a little more but I get 1080p -- as long as the computer is fast enough -- and no restrictions on anything.  It's a full computer!  And if you take the time to find good software and setup nice automatic functions, you can get it to be a complete, automated system...without much keyboard/mouse intervention once it's setup and running.

But, the Apple TV would be very nice for a quick setup...not saying it wouldn't.  And it's very small.  I'll follow this conversation as it progresses.

Lastly, the Apple TV is probably a horrible choice for codec support.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't support DVD files, FLAC, etc.  Those are deal breakers for me.

...By the way, I used a ~$160 video card and ~$130 sound card I had in my other workstation.  These two components would add to the price to get a nice system like I have, but they didn't really cost me since I already had them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:34:34 pm »

MC has a UPnP server built in, which is the best standard for settop devices.

Perhaps Apple will support this?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:54:17 am »

If your files are in one of formats supported by iTunes, then you could simply add these files to iTunes (without copying them and perhaps via read-only share/path) and then use Apple TV as usual.

If your files are in other formats, such as e.g. FLAC (lossless music) or MPEG2 (video, DVD) then you need to maintain a converted copy of your files in formats accessible by iTunes. This is what I plan to do, if I decide to use Front Row as my “Theatre View” in my living room, because most of my files are in FLAC, and will stay that way. A tool called dbPowerAmp Converter can convert FLAC (and other formats) into one of iTunes supported (and other) formats. This tool contains also a batch converter that can take care of entire directory tree. In my case, I would copy-convert to ALAC (Apple’s lossless) which is handled gracefully by dbPowerAmp, including embedded cover images.

People, including myself, have many times requested from Apple support for FLAC in iTunes. Knowing FLAC well, and a lot about iTunes, I would say that it would be a piece of cake for Apple to do. But they refuse; only God knows why. While things have improved a lot, apparently there are still some folks who don’t understand that openness gives you more than you loose by applying it.

It would be nice if the big (and small) vendors supported each others protocols and formats, or agreed upon one common. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. Apple uses Rendezvous protocol, Microsoft uses UPnP, Apple uses iChat/AOL, Microsoft uses MSN etc, etc. Like small children in a sandbox – I don’t play with you because I don’t like you :P

appletv

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:59 am »

Matt, the local Apple store says UPnP is very unlikely.  Do you have development plans to support syncing and streaming to AppleTV? 

Maybe you can take a look...the iTunes interface to AppleTV is very similar to iPod interface.  Since you support iPod, might not be a stretch to add AppleTV.  Please consider adding to feature request list.  Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up