INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what remote control works best with MC?  (Read 2753 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
what remote control works best with MC?
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:31 am »

I am seeking to more easily control my media server through my TV.

I currently use a wireless mouse and was looking to pick up a wireless keybard to go with it, then I remembered that MC works with IR remotes and thought this may be a better method.

What remote brand & models work best with MC?
Do they work directly or do I need to use Girder?
What are the pro's & con's of a remote vs a keyboard?

any help is appreciated.
. . . the game is rigged

MrHaugen

Re: what remote control works best with MC?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:03:59 pm »

I belive this is a good choise (I'm going to buy it in a day or two):
http://www.gyration.com/en-US/ProductDetail.html?modelnum=GYR3101CKUS&accshow=3
Or without the keyboard if you don't like that.

Not shure how it works with MC. Do not think MC supports much remotes.
Almost all remotes should be programmable to all sorts of shortcuts, so if you program it right you can do about anything in MC and other programs, with about any remotes there is out there.

Keyboard or not, that's up to how tidy and good you want your theater to look. If you do program your remote well I belive there would be very few times you actually need a keyboard. I absolutly have to get rid of it after I get my remote. At least put it out of sight. Gonna use a on screen keyboard the few times I need it I think.

The best with the Gyration remote is that it works like a gyro Wii remote. Pretty cool and intuitive to use. And it also uses radio frequencies, as well as IR. It's a good thing when you don't have to hold it straight towards your HTPC all the time.

Well, that's my thoughts.
Good luck!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:46:27 pm »

The Gyration remote is on my planned list as well. Let us know your thoughts on the remote.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:54:41 pm »

I will. Looking for a good place to buy it from right now. Just got 800$ back after last years tax payment. Let's go shopping :)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:33:21 pm »

I know there is a plugin for a remote

and that there are native remote settings within MC,

so what remotes work directly "out of the box"?
. . . the game is rigged

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:50:39 pm »

I will. Looking for a good place to buy it from right now. Just got 800$ back after last years tax payment. Let's go shopping :)

I've seen some sold on Ebay go for 60% or so of what I've seen it sold for in some stores.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:28:38 pm »

I know there is a plugin for a remote

and that there are native remote settings within MC,

so what remotes work directly "out of the box"?

The MS MCE Remote and Keyboard now works with MC  ;D - there is a seperate thread on this at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40256.0 but in summary,
1) it works "Out of the Box" on Vista (just plug it in)
2) on XP you first need to install a MS Patch you can get from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B39D53F1-0AC9-433B-B488-4CAB82F31DC8&displaylang=en then away you go
3) if you want to program the IR codes into a Universal RC (Like I have done) you will need to turn off "debounce" by editing the registry or using some of the MS Utils.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:38 pm »

I have used an iMON remote for the past two years and love it. You can either buy a case with the iMon IR receiver built in, or you can purchase the iMON Inside. It is very easy to set up button commands for each program, and you can have some buttons always operate the same program (useful for master volume control). The remote receiver has an adaptor that connects to your power supply. This allows you to turn on/off the computer with the remote.

If you have more than one device, you can purchase the iMON Inside and a Harmony remote. The Harmony works perfectly with the iMON receiver. Then you can power on your HTPC, Receiver, TV, etc. all with the push of one button and control everything with one remote for about $170. Since both the iMON software and the Harmony software both allow for macros, you can do some advanced things with the push of a button.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:01 pm »

I have used an iMON remote for the past two years and love it. You can either buy a case with the iMon IR receiver built in, or you can purchase the iMON Inside. It is very easy to set up button commands for each program, and you can have some buttons always operate the same program (useful for master volume control). The remote receiver has an adaptor that connects to your power supply. This allows you to turn on/off the computer with the remote.

I have moved away from iMon now. Basicly because the IR signals get's messed up way to much. I have to be within 1,5 meters in front and a half meter on both side of my cabinet. The height also have to be almost perfect. I know the width and height problem has probably a alot to do with my HTPC cabinet, but I love my cabinet way to much. So the remote has to go. The mouse control are quite good, but I belive I will like the gyro capabilities much better. Another frustration part of the iMon is that the buttons hangs it self up sometimes. Especialy the mouse knob. That makes the pointer run slowly across the screen in movies. And the remote are quickly running out of juice. Apart from those things I would say I love it too   :)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 07:32:42 pm »

3) if you want to program the IR codes into a Universal RC (Like I have done) you will need to turn off "debounce" by editing the registry or using some of the MS Utils.

How do you do this? I mean, what MS util do you use?

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 12:35:21 am »

I would recommend USBUIRT (www.usbuirt.com) with any of the Universal IR remote control.

Osho

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 04:53:53 am »

How do you do this? I mean, what MS util do you use?

Thanks.
The MCE remote uses two code for each key and ignores a second identical key press to stop ir bounce.  I just searched the registry for the "debouce" var and changed the value to 0.  If you have Vista with MS Media Center you can in its options select support for Universal RC which will also do the same.  One of the XP packs (winter??) also lets you toggle the value.
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »

The MCE remote uses two code for each key and ignores a second identical key press to stop ir bounce.  I just searched the registry for the "debouce" var and changed the value to 0.  If you have Vista with MS Media Center you can in its options select support for Universal RC which will also do the same.  One of the XP packs (winter??) also lets you toggle the value.
Nathan

Yes, using vista. Will check out this option. Thanks mate.
Z-Wave Home Automation

globetrotters1

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 04:53:52 am »

We use a iMON inside remote control panel built into the interior of the rack-mounted media center computer. We ran a IR repeater cable to the house-wide IR receiver panel (where all the IR 'eyes' are hooked together). Like that we can control the media center computer from anywhere in the house. The iMON IR codes are programmed into several Universal Remote Controls MX-700 (which is a delight to program yourself). And the touchpanels in the house generate the same IR codes as the iMON remote control. Proved to be reliable and easy to use - it just works!

raldo

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 07:12:32 am »

I'd recommend *not* buying an IMON remote and receiver. There are three reasons:

(1) Their plugin blocks all other IR remote signals. This means that you are restricted to the codes that the IMON remote issues.
(2) Their IR codes are "special" and not easily replicated by other learning remotes (not just Logitech's). I have most of the codes up and running through my Logitech 885, but there are still some missing, and i think the response times are suboptimal.
(3) Support: Forget it.

I'm seriously considering some other solution, maybe USBIIRT together with the 885. Have anyone else tried this combo?

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 09:52:15 am »

Still waiting for my Gyration remote. Really looking forward to test it. Just bad I ain't gonna be able to test it before I leave on my 2 week holiday  :(

Just caught up on some reading regarding the Nevo SL remote. That one looks just amazing. Will probably be a while until I can afford it though.

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 07:30:20 am »

Been testing my Gyration remote and a RF keyboard for a few days now.
My fist impression was: WOW!

Here's my preliminary conclusion:

The good:
1. It's Radio Reciever and sender have a good range. About 8 meter through multiple walls.
2. It looks pretty nice.
3. The gyro mouse function is amazing. Takes a little while to get used to, but after that it can be used almost as effective as a regular mouse. Though not for the most demanding precition tasks.
4. The remote are built for Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center, but many of it's function also works great in J River Media Center. This includes: Switching between views, back button wich works great for going back and forth between, for instance, playing now and the library in Theater View.
5. The numeric keys (with alphabet characters) work great from within theater view when it comes to jumping to different artists etc.
6. It can be programmed to work with 3 other IR based boxes like tv, recievers, amps ++.
7. The arrows and enter on the remote even works in DOS bootup! This is particularly good when you have to choose the dual boot operating systems under startup (I have one for media and one for games).

The bad:
1. As it's made for WMP and WMC there are a few buttons that have no function in MC. With the remote, there are no programs wich allow you to specify different functions for this useless buttons. Maybe this can be done with girder? Not sure....
2. The remote is pretty big. It's not a huge problem, but it seems unnesessary big for the functions on it.
3. The IR learning capabilities could have been better.

As for the keybord I have nothing bad to say, except:
- It's probably only in English layout. Just change the keyboard language to your language, and you still have everything where you are used to.
And the good things are:
- It's tiny, and it's great for web surfing and small configuration operations.
- Just plain good for such a small keyboard.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:45 am »

Been testing my Gyration remote and a RF keyboard for a few days now.
My fist impression was: WOW!

Does the remote come with it's own software to program keystrokes etc?

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

MrHaugen

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 10:34:35 am »

Does the remote come with it's own software to program keystrokes etc?

Thanks.

I mentioned it in my post:

The bad:
1. As it's made for WMP and WMC there are a few buttons that have no function in MC. With the remote, there are no programs wich allow you to specify different functions for this useless buttons. Maybe this can be done with girder? Not sure....

It is possible there are ways to program them, but I have not found any yet.
It's a real shame though. I belive it would be pretty close to perfect if this had been provided. At least for a remote without a LCD display.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 01:31:50 pm »

I'am using Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard with integrated touch pad - its quite cool sitting in front of the TV and surfing on the internet, writing this replay and so on ... its got the basic MC commands (stop, play, forward, volume etc.). Bluetooth, stylish and multi purpose - thats the thing I recommend.

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 07:19:26 am »

I'am using Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard with integrated touch pad - its quite cool sitting in front of the TV and surfing on the internet, writing this replay and so on ... its got the basic MC commands (stop, play, forward, volume etc.). Bluetooth, stylish and multi purpose - thats the thing I recommend.

Yea. That's a real beauty. Works great also, if I am to belive the reviews I have read. I'll buy one my self soon.
But it IS a keyboard. Not a remote control. I belive most people with a HTPC would like to use a remote control most of the time. That's what I like anyway....
Pages: [1]   Go Up