INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Shuffle - Slow transfer speed  (Read 2073 times)

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
New Shuffle - Slow transfer speed
« on: June 26, 2007, 01:11:20 am »

Just got the New 2nd Gen Shuffle today and when I transfer already encoded files I get 1.1MB/sec speed.
Same thing on my other computer. I tried all the usb ports. I have a regular ipod so I know my usb 2.0 is ok. It's about 7 MB/sec with IPOD 5g.

It takes about 15 minutes to upload 1 gig to shuffle. IS this Normal? I thought it would be a bout 3 minutes.

Thanks for your help... ?

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Shuffle - Slow transfer speed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:15:42 am »

I had the same thing.. Even worse.
I have a Rio Karma, ipod Nano and ipod 5.5G 80Gb (this one goes back to Amazon).
All of them were terribly slow on my main system. 1 gig in an hour or so.. The transfer speeds were < 0.5Mb/sec (with the Rio being the slowest). Moved to another puter - Nano and 80Gb got 5-6-7Mb/sec.

I mean, there's something wrong with MC (yes, MC.. since other applications give faster speeds on that MC-slow system). What I noticed is that MC transfers the file and then it pauses and these pauses cause the slowdown. I dunno why this is happening.. I spent a few days trying to fix this and in the end I restored an old system backup (almost an XP reinstall) and everything was fast as it supposed to be.. MC conflicts with someting, I guess.
Also (before the system restore), I tried to build a handheld cache for my whole library (close to 50,000 titles) and I noticed that it was reasonably fast in the begining but with time it would get slower and slower and painfully slow - again, not because of slow encodes but because of longer and longer pauses between the encodes...

So, at least in my case, the speed was limited by MC pauses not the transfer speed itself.

Anyone else has this problem?

Just got the New 2nd Gen Shuffle today and when I transfer already encoded files I get 1.1MB/sec speed.
Same thing on my other computer. I tried all the usb ports. I have a regular ipod so I know my usb 2.0 is ok. It's about 7 MB/sec with IPOD 5g.

It takes about 15 minutes to upload 1 gig to shuffle. IS this Normal? I thought it would be a bout 3 minutes.

Thanks for your help... ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:29:22 pm »

Remember that a conversion process running could slow a transfer.

Without conversion, MC can write to an iPod as fast as the USB supports it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:24:23 pm »

Matt,
akhunaton mentioned that the files were already converted..
I also was speaking about just uploading, no reencoding.
In my case it's all fixed now (had to reinstall XP).
Before that, transfers to ipods and rio were very slow.
It didn't have to do with the USB configuration either - if I would drop files directly to ipod via windows explorer the speed would be fast. In MC it was slow.. because of the pauses I was speaking about in my previous post..

Remember that a conversion process running could slow a transfer.

Without conversion, MC can write to an iPod as fast as the USB supports it.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:15:42 pm »

Well, I exchanged the shuffle for a new one thinking it could be a lemon but that same 1.0 MB speed transfer persists. And I promise I am not converting files on the way. The same speed issue happens when I use windows xp to simply transfer files.

I'm surprised that the 2nd gen shuffle is so slow but perhaps that's just the way it is?

Would shuffle owners please post your transfer speed on Windows or MAC..? I've added a poll here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41314.0

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:29 pm »

You could try a different USB port or controller.  However, I'm not sure how fast the shuffle ever goes.

A Nano does around 4-5 MB/seconds.

Media Center can be around 5-10% slower than a pure copy in Windows Explorer since a Windows Explorer copy doesn't update the device's database, cover art, etc. like Media Center does.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:22:50 pm »

well , I've tried 3 xp computers all the different usb ports , all usb 2.0. So  My conclusion is that The IPOD shuffle is USB 1.1 speed upload.
I'm surprised but oh well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up