INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to understand USB mode MSC & MTP  (Read 6998 times)

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
Trying to understand USB mode MSC & MTP
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:26:19 pm »

MSC mode of the USB stands for Media Storage Class mode; make the attached device appear as a hard drive to the computer, so it will allow transferring of any type of files to the attached device.
MTP mode stands for Media Transport Protocol, and beside of allow DRM (digital rights management) files to be transferred to the attached device; will filter the type of files it will transfer and how it will be managed by it.
I’ve tested my Meizu Music Card under MTP with WMP11 and the follow actions are done:
1. Create a folder for each artist and a subfolder for each album in a tree, with the data obtained from id3 tag.
2. Will manage appropriately track# from id3 tag, to show tracks in proper order.
3. Using ID3v2. Create automatically a folder called "Albums" where are transferred .jpg files containing cover art of the music obtained from id3 tag, in the format aaaaaaAAAAAA.alb, where aaaaaa=album AAAAAA=Artist. Then it is created a .jpg file, with format aaaaaaAAAAAA.jpg. Size of this files is 200x200.

Unfortunately with MC 12.0.267, I do have to use MSC mode because MTP fails randomly, blocking the attached device and MC itself.

After this, the device have to be unplugged and MC reloaded.
Using MSC I can transfer as many files my attached device allows without any error.

MC manage appropriately the structure Artist\Album in any mode.
Also create a .alb record for each album located in the subfolder Album within Artist. In MSC this record is invalid (size=0), in MTP mode not be able to check what MC do.
This .alb record is in the form aaaaaa.alb, so when moved to Albums folder, two albums with the same name will create a confusion. I suppose that due to this WMP11 create it with the format aaaaaaAAAAAA.alb

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trying to understand USB mode MSC & MTP
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:38:07 pm »

It is worth trying a more recent build:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41392.0

But you could also try updating the firmware for your device.

It is also possible that another piece of software is causing a problem.  We saw a similar problem with Nero at one point but we were able to find a work around.

WayneW

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:07:34 am »

I have tried build 12.0.273 and am still not able to get my NuVo system to work at all using MTP.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41086.0
Unfortunately the NuVo is MTP only, has the latest firmware and I only have a few days left on my MC evaluation.  I would really like to get MC working if I could get some assistance please.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:54:48 am »

I have installed Windows XP SP2, JRiver Media Center 12.0.273, latest firmware of Meizu Music Card.
I have been able to transfer files under MTP successfully using the following softwares:
. Windows Media Player 11
. Winamp 5.35
. JetAudio 7.0.3.3016

Concerning MC I've made all possible test:
. using my main pc with no other USB device attached.
. using my second pc connected to main pc through library server, this is using other USB port type.
Unfortunately result have always be the same, random fails after transferring some files, locking USB port.

So I am back in MSC mode because i need to handle my USB device through JR Media Center.

Greetz

SwellGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:59:48 pm »

Can you turn on logging to a file of Handheld events only, reproduce the problem and email me (rick at jriver dot com) the logs. Access logging via the Help menu. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up