INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avi library question  (Read 2421 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Avi library question
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:07:24 am »

Have a couple of questions when it get to movie/series archives

1. I'm mainly browsing by thumbnails. Currently only 50% of my avi's etc have names. Some consists of only season and episode number. Is there a way to change the text under the thumbnails so it can include season and episode numbers as well?

2. Is there a way to automaticly pick frames for thumbnails in different locations in the avi? Alot of my series get about the exact same image.

3. Last but not least, it seems like the last position of the avi's are remembered for ever! I have tried lots, and they all starts back at the same position as I left them. This would be good for the last played, but for the love of god, not all, not forever! This will get really messy when my family and friends are going to watch things before me. Will drive me mad. Please tell me there are options to limit this!

- Carl
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gappie

Re: Avi library question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:37:51 am »

1. are you talking about theater view thumbs or standard view. in theaterview you could do something like
if(isEqual([media type],video,1),[season] - [episode] ([name]),[Name])
in options>theater view>advanced>file caption

for standard view, just add season and episode under the thumb using rightclick>view settings>customize current view

2 i asked that also before. was not possible at that time. ofcourse you can always right click on the movie when it is playing, and choose use screencap for thumbnail (or something like that). but i dont like that.

3. you can make a smartlist using [Media Type]=[Video] -[Bookmark]=[] with bookmark in the column. select the files where you want to delete the bookmark and hit f2. change it to empty.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:59 am »

1. are you talking about theater view thumbs or standard view. in theaterview you could do something like
if(isEqual([media type],video,1),[season] - [episode] ([name]),[Name])
in options>theater view>advanced>file caption

for standard view, just add season and episode under the thumb using rightclick>view settings>customize current view
Ok. So I'll use a huge if sentence for the thumbnail text then. No problem.

3. you can make a smartlist using [Media Type]=[Video] -[Bookmark]=[] with bookmark in the column. select the files where you want to delete the bookmark and hit f2. change it to empty.
But this only allows me to delete the bookmarks manually? I'd like a way of turning it off completely. At least for all but the last played. Hey! I can't even manually delete the bookmark tag!?!? Why?

One additional thing. When we talk about huge smartlists, I really hope there is still possible to enter it all by text right?? As for now I can only find the Smartlist editior.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:42 am »

im sorry,

you could leave the if and isequal stuff out, but then you get the season and episode underneath all your files. [season] - [episode] ([name])

about the smart list. click in the smartlist editor on import and you can enter it all by text.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:09:10 pm »

Don't be sorry. I like IF sentences  :)
Didnt notice the Import button. Great! That makes it a bit easier to edit sometimes.

I take it that there are no way to prevent the bookmarks then? I'll Just have to live with it for now? There is not any way to do this with commands and mace a batch every time you start MC? I don't have to high hopes...

Thanks for the help gappie

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 06:03:56 pm »

Don't want to start a new thread on the same topic but I also can't understand no 3. Every movie I watch now starts with the closing credits as that's when I always turn it off. I thought there must be a setting I couldn't find somewhere, can't believe this is the default.

Also, I don't understand that little green bit that appears in the progress bar when I want to go forward slightly. I also tend to skip opening credits and sometimes that green bit is just too wide. I either watch the credits or miss the opening scene. Sometimes, by furious little clicks back and for I can get it to where I want it but I just don't get why it's there.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:16:58 am »

The reason for videos starting where you last ended it is the bookmark function. Pressing stop twice will reset the bookmark, if i am not wrong. Don't know if it may be turned off thou...

When you need to seek, try using Ctrl - Right/Left arrow instead of the seek bar. At least i use this for songs...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:58:52 am »

Don't be sorry. I like IF sentences  :)
Didnt notice the Import button. Great! That makes it a bit easier to edit sometimes

JRiver could change the name of the button to "Import/Edit" and add a tooltip with a longer description. Actually, MC has many places where the name is not self-explaining and a tooltip would make life easier.

I take it that there are no way to prevent the bookmarks then? I'll Just have to live with it for now? There is not any way to do this with commands and mace a batch every time you start MC? I don't have to high hopes...

I would like to have three additional functions: "Add Bookmark" (this would save the current position as a bookmark and it would not change until cleared), "Clear Bookmark" and "Go To Bookmark". By default MC should save an automatic bookmark, but not use it automatically.

Personally I don't have any use for an automatic bookmark, but sometimes I would like to memorize a certain position manually.

I have noticed that MC saves bookmarks with audio files too. With my suggested changes the bookmark system could be activated also for audio playback.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 10:41:31 am »

Yea. It definately need to be an option here. I live with my brother and 3 friends in a big appartment, and sometimes they use my media center as well. I get rather annoyed every time I have to manually rewind the series or movie to the beginning. Just glad it takes much less time than with VHS videos  :)

As zirum said I tried to double stop it, and that worked. But I can't possibly make my friends do this every time. I tell them to clean the kitchen all the time, but setting the ALLWAYS double stop rule would be pushing it a bit far.
I also tend to just skip fast through a episode to see if I have seen it before (yes, I know about number plays. I'll use that later on) and when I jump to the next episode the bookmark is saved :( As they say in Germany, Nicht gut.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:38 pm »

i do actually agree about the bookmarks. i like the way zoomplayer does it. you can say if or how long a bookmarks are saved. take for instance 2 days. so when somebody drops by when watching a movie you can switch it of and continue later or the day after. i think it would be easy for someone to make a plugin that does exactly that. it was the first thing i wrote when i started to do that and was still using mc for my videos (something i hope i will do again in the near feature). the day i have time to find out how to make make a plugin publishable il do it, even with an option to ask if to use a bookmark ot start from the beginning (something i do now when starting the video from within mc using zoomplayer).

robydago

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 03:55:27 pm »

IMHO:
- auto bookmarks should be a user selectable option
- there should be a way to create manual named bookmarks
- and while we are at it: why not having bookmarks for audio files (for audiobooks\podcasts they would be nice)?

gappie

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:19:08 pm »

IMHO:
- auto bookmarks should be a user selectable option
- there should be a way to create manual named bookmarks
- and while we are at it: why not having bookmarks for audio files (for audiobooks\podcasts they would be nice)?

the interesting thing is that the bookmarks are already saved for audio files. you just cant use them for playback.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 05:28:50 pm »

I would like to have three additional functions: "Add Bookmark" (this would save the current position as a bookmark and it would not change until cleared), "Clear Bookmark" and "Go To Bookmark". By default MC should save an automatic bookmark, but not use it automatically.

Personally I don't have any use for an automatic bookmark, but sometimes I would like to memorize a certain position manually.

I have noticed that MC saves bookmarks with audio files too. With my suggested changes the bookmark system could be activated also for audio playback.

If this wasn't clear, I would like to see the functions as three buttons, like in this mockup:

(This is not a button design and skin layout suggestion, it just illustrates the idea.)

EDIT

Possibly keyboard shortcuts and a single small "Go To Bookmark" button with a right-click menu for the two other functions would be enough and cause less UI clutter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:50 am »

Possibly keyboard shortcuts and a single small "Go To Bookmark" button with a right-click menu for the two other functions would be enough and cause less UI clutter.

A few shortcuts would be nice. But a option to use automatic bookmarks or not, are needed. And possibly how long the bookmarks whould last.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 07:02:38 am »

A few shortcuts would be nice. But a option to use automatic bookmarks or not, are needed. And possibly how long the bookmarks whould last.

I disagree. MC could always save an automatic bookmark unless a manual bookmark is inserted. Because MC would not automatically use the bookmark this would not bother anyone.

Currently MC's Bookmark field shows a playback position counter that works with audio too, but the last position is saved only on video playback. With a "go to" button this could be extended to audio.

If the automatically saved bookmark would be a separate field from the counter then it would be possible to start playback from the beginning and after a while go to a previously stored automatic bookmark.

The bookmark marker could have a different appearance depending on if the bookmark is saved automatically or manuallly.

Here is a new mockup. It has only one button with a tooltip and right-click menu:

The right-click menu could be like this:

The reset button is needed for enabling the automatic bookmark saving again if a manual bookmark exists.

Perhaps the Theater View mode would need an additional option because it does not have the standard playback controls. For example: "Start video and audible playback automatically on the bookmark position when in Theater View."

However, if my suggestion is not possible then a general option for disabling the bookmark system would be needed.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 12:48:21 pm »

Yea, I get your point. I don't mind if the actual bookmarks is set or not. Just need a way of disabling the automatic use of them.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 02:51:24 pm »

The bookmarks are stored in this file-
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUser\Application Data\J River\Library\field (bookmark).jmd
Deleting that one will remove all of them.

-Leezer-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:08 pm »

The bookmarks are stored in this file- C:\Documents and Settings\YourUser\Application Data\J River\Library\field (bookmark).jmd

... by default. I have my main library in C:\MC12lib\ and a few smaller libraries elsewhere.

I have replaced the target in MC's start icon properties with a batch file that first deletes the "field (bookmark).jmd" files in my libraries and then starts MC12.

MrHaugen

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 03:56:11 pm »

Aaaaah! Great! That's what I'll do to. Run a batch file or or vb script that deletes the file and then runs MC.
But it does not change the fact that it should be possible to select options for this.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »

I sort of understand the usefulness of the automatic bookmark when only one user accesses the library and watches only feature films, but in our home environment several users use the same main library and we have various kinds of video stuff. If you have never personally stopped a certain video file and intended to continue later it is odd that the file doesn't start from the beginning.

For example, we have a lot of music videos that are used similarly like standard audio files. These are often stopped before playing them fully. In a playlist about every other of these music videos would not start from the beginning.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 02:52:48 am »

Haven't tested this, but instead of running a batch job, wouldn't it be possible to clear the file and make it read only?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 06:09:31 am »

Nope, MC doesn't like doing that for some reason.
I would make the file owned by another user, but I suspect that if MC can't write to the file, then it'll crash.

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up