INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Hate Itunes but it's actually syncing faster than MC...  (Read 4492 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
I Hate Itunes but it's actually syncing faster than MC...
« on: September 27, 2007, 05:26:17 pm »

Itunes is slow as molases but it's actually syncing faster than MC. Is there a way to optimize the speed that MC syncs at?

MC is syncing to the Ipod classic from an external drive on a home share at a rate of .7mb/sec not too good at all...

Any tweaking in options etc???

thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I Hate Itunes but it's actually syncing faster than MC...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 06:10:41 pm »

Try killing the ipod software that runs in the background.  I think there are three programs.  At least two run as services.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:51 pm »

Try killing the ipod software that runs in the background.  I think there are three programs.  At least two run as services.

Is it possible to have iTunes on the same system as MC without it interfering with MC AND without having to jump through any hoops to get things to work?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:41:19 pm »

It was, but there have been a lot of itunes updates lately.  I'm not certain now.

We're not happy with what Apple runs in the background.  It's intrusive to say the least.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:02:40 pm »

It was, but there have been a lot of itunes updates lately.  I'm not certain now.

We're not happy with what Apple runs in the background.  It's intrusive to say the least.

That's putting it kindly.  I think I would have added a few more "colorful" adjectives to describe what Apple does.

So at the moment, is it recommended to "end service" on all the Apple/iTunes entries in the Task Manager every time the system starts?  Do you happen to know if there is a way to get this to happen automatically and still be able to run iTunes if necessary (again, without jumping through hoops)?

Or... is it best to just install iTunes to do iPod updates, then uninstall it again after the update is done?

Thanks for any information on this, which I understand might be more "guesses" and "opinions" than solid "answers."

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:42 pm »

That's putting it kindly.  I think I would have added a few more "colorful" adjectives to describe what Apple does.

So at the moment, is it recommended to "end service" on all the Apple/iTunes entries in the Task Manager every time the system starts?  Do you happen to know if there is a way to get this to happen automatically and still be able to run iTunes if necessary (again, without jumping through hoops)?

Or... is it best to just install iTunes to do iPod updates, then uninstall it again after the update is done?

Thanks for any information on this, which I understand might be more "guesses" and "opinions" than solid "answers."

Larry

It's probably in the run registry key for windows etc... I'll look for it later and post back if I find it.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:46 pm »

Uhm, I'm afraid that even killing Ipod servie, ItunesHelper and Appledevicewhatever did nothelp I'm still getting .7mb/sec with Mc. strange cause itunes seems to zip right along when I tried that earlier.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:16 pm »

Are other people seeing this issue?  I would think that if this was a common problem, we'd see more reports of it by now.  Is there anybody with both iTunes and MC on the same system that is getting normal sync times with MC?

Thanks,

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:16:28 pm »

Are other people seeing this issue?  I would think that if this was a common problem, we'd see more reports of it by now.  Is there anybody with both iTunes and MC on the same system that is getting normal sync times with MC?

Thanks,

Larry

I don't know that it's necessarily an issue, I was wondering if there is any tweaking within MC to speedup the Syncing.

It's comming from a shared drive on another PC on a wireless home network at 48-54mbps good signal, to the laptop and ipod classic via usb 2.0.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »

It's probably in the run registry key for windows etc... I'll look for it later and post back if I find it.

Found where it starts from in windows

use at your own risk, and back up your registry first. Deleting the ituneshelper key should stop it from starting up. That and making the ipod service manual at least, or disabling it should do it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
"iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 08:18:04 pm »

Make sure you are not running any file conversions!  I think I get at least that or maybe more even with conversion.

I've got to ask why you care about syncing speed?  I personally sit at my computers for hours everyday and other than the first time sync time of 6-20 hours, depending if you have the 160GB iPod, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes!  What's the rush?  Unless you clear and resync every day.

If you go to msconfig you can disable some iTunes junk.  I believe the disabling holds, too.  I did that once and it worked great.  I personally try to not install iTunes but am forced to now because of my iPhone.

By the way: they released the 1.1.1 update today so I wonder how close J River is to iPhone support.  I'm hoping!

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:31 pm »

By the way: they released the 1.1.1 update today so I wonder how close J River is to iPhone support.  I'm hoping!

You must be talking abou the Iphone cause Ipod Classic is still at 1.0.1 when I read your post I checked just in case... nogo. 1.0.1

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:51 pm »

I've got to ask why you care about syncing speed?  I personally sit at my computers for hours everyday and other than the first time sync time of 6-20 hours, depending if you have the 160GB iPod, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes!  What's the rush?  Unless you clear and resync every day.

A malfunction is a malfunction, and if the sync is only going at .7 MB/s (without active conversion), something is wrong.  That said, some of us are effected by the sync taking too long -- it can mean the difference between being able to use the iPod or not on any given day (or even longer if we have to leave town, and we need the sync to finish.)

By the way, once you convert, the files should be in the cache, so it shouldnt' take so long after the first time.

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 10:07:07 pm »

By the way, once you convert, the files should be in the cache, so it shouldnt' take so long after the first time.

Larry

In my case there is no conversion involved, as all my files are already ripped to MP3, tagged, cover art etc... unless it's analyzing them for volume adjustment etc...

benn600

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 10:15:10 pm »

Everyone is so much more complicated than me.  I rate music and sync my 4/5 star songs.  That's it.  And a large percentage of my library is unrated and I can only rate maybe 100 per day on a very good day.  Of those, I might get 10 new songs.  Yikes!  A few minutes to sync.  I hope you don't run that late when you're leaving for a trip...getting in the car...OH NO, I HAVE TO GO SYNC!

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 11:35:26 pm »

Everyone is so much more complicated than me.

I am a lot simpler than you are :). I just sync *everything*. I have about 300GB of music (200+GB of FLAC and the rest MP3). They all "just" fit in 160GB iPod Classic after MP3 conversion at Normal rate. And, I found that the transfer rate was always more than 2MB/s - the bottle neck in my case was always the FLAC->MP3 conversion.

Osho

benn600

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 11:54:25 pm »

Lol (last sentence).  That's very true.  I don't have that kind of space, though.  But only a twentieth.  I also was getting rates around 2MB/sec or so.  ... or at least something greater than 0.7!  But this was a previous generation Nano, too.

Can users convert their music to Apple Lossless?  That would be a nice feature addition.  I may start looking around for a large HDD based player that can hold all of my music in FLAC.  Although I'm at 350GB now and growing (obviously).  It would be very nice to have my full library in my pocket.  An alternative system would be to sync complete albums where a song is rated 4 or 5 stars.  That would eliminate the junk while keeping stuff I like and am likely to like.

J River should build a portable player.  Build it with great sound quality and a 200 GB hard drive.  Don't include FLAC or APE support, though.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 12:00:08 am »

Can users convert their music to Apple Lossless?  That would be a nice feature addition. 

I believe this is possible if you use external encoder. Search on using external encoder in this forum. I don't know personally how well it works.

J River should build a portable player.  Build it with great sound quality and a 200 GB hard drive.  Don't include FLAC or APE support, though.

Good idea :). But, why not support FLAC or APE? We can all dream, can't we?

Osho

benn600

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:21 pm »

Lol (last sentence).

Joking.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 09:24:15 pm »

Just to confirm, are some people seeing "normal" transfer rates when syncing with MC on a system that also has iTunes installed?  I'm unclear if this is an isolated issue that only olarte is seeing, or if others are seeing the same slow syncs if iTunes is installed.

Thanks,

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 09:26:53 pm »

Just to confirm, are some people seeing "normal" transfer rates when syncing with MC on a system that also has iTunes installed?  I'm unclear if this is an isolated issue that only olarte is seeing, or if others are seeing the same slow syncs if iTunes is installed.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry this is an isolated issue and had to do with the speed of tranfer rates over my wireless network. ONce I connected an external drive to the laptop transfer rates are normal.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 04:08:30 am »

Larry this is an isolated issue and had to do with the speed of tranfer rates over my wireless network. ONce I connected an external drive to the laptop transfer rates are normal.

Thanks for the update -- I'm glad you solved it, and it's good to know that it wasn't an actual bug.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up