INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about sorting and library server...  (Read 1315 times)

finallygreen

• Recent member
questions about sorting and library server...
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:18:33 pm »

Hello,

After procrastinating for weeks out of fear that my library wouldn't make the move from 11.1 to 12.0, I finally today upgraded to 12.0 (quite successfully, it seems!).  Now I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer for me:

1. On my old setup, I had the sorting set up in such a way that the details view (from within standard view, in case that makes a difference) would sort alphabetically if I has highlighted an artist (thus giving me an alphabetical list of all the songs from that artist), but would switch to sorting by track number as soon as I highlighted an actual album (obviously maintaining the album's original sequencing).  Today, I can't figure out for the life of me how I ever did that.....anyone able to help me on this one?

2. I admittedly haven't made use of Library Server's functionality in many years, but I remember back when I did use it, I only needed to run a stand-alone 'Library Server' program from the host PC (think I actually ran it as a service IIRC).  Today, if I'm reading this correctly, it would appear that I need the entire MC12 app to be running on the host PC to make use of the library on a client PC.  Am I mistaken??

3. Carrying on from #2...assuming I get my confusion over the Library Server worked out, I've just tried the Remote Server feature for the first time and I'm loving this.....but my third question is....if I get the host PC to serve my library to a client PC, can I then run Remote Server from the CLIENT PC?  So happens the client PC is next door to the kitchen, so when the family gathers around for game night, I could eventually control our tunes from my PocketPC.  This leads me to my last question:

4. NetRemote or MusicLobby.....which do people tend to prefer these days?

I appreciate any answers any of you knowledgable folks could provide me.  Although I've been using MC for many years now, I haven't really dug deep into it's feature set for a very long time....so I'm looking forward to maximizing it's potential now that I'm back to the current version :)

finallygreen

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: questions about sorting and library server...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:47:11 pm »

Yes - Library Server now only runs inside of Media Center. It's no longer a separate program. If you wish, you can run Media Center in "Media Server" mode, which will unload the GUI and unneeded stuff, running in a smaller footprint.

j

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:29:11 am »

Yes - Library Server now only runs inside of Media Center. It's no longer a separate program. If you wish, you can run Media Center in "Media Server" mode, which will unload the GUI and unneeded stuff, running in a smaller footprint.

j

I take it that's what I was in when I closed Media Center and the server icon remained in my tray?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:17:18 am »

yes.

j

finallygreen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:31:30 pm »

yes.

j

OK  :)

And I've answered #3 myself since the first post....for those who may search and find this thread later, the answer is YES....you CAN run Remote Server from a computer that is only drawing from a Library being served to it from another computer, despite the fact that the help file is worded to say otherwise.

So....my first question....the sorting issue.....can anyone help me with this???

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:08:28 am »

I'd suggest starting a new thread just on the sorting topic. That way it won't get confused with the library server issues.

Nice going with the Remote Server.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up