INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon dcam AVI won't play  (Read 1958 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Canon dcam AVI won't play
« on: July 01, 2007, 01:28:44 pm »

We've just purchased a Canon G7 camera capable of creating AVIs, and I would appreciate some help with troubleshooting why they won't play with MC12.

Hints:
(1)  All other AVIs play properly (e.g., common downloaded and compressed TV shows).
(2)  With the Canon AVIs, I get sound but no picture
(3)  Nero 7's Showtime does play them properly, but WinDVD 5 does not.

I might have believed there was something special about them such that installing the Canon software on the HTPC might allow them to work, but why would Nero Showtime work when MC12 does not?

TIA & Cheerios  :o)
~~~~~ system info ~~~~~~~~~~
Media Center Registered 12.0.267 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2396 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 120 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Canon dcam AVI won't play
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:07:39 am »

I was able to find at the VideoHelp.com forum that at least one person remedied their problem by installing a commecially available MJPEG codec (i.e., Morgan or PICvideo ).

Can it be that I'll have to pay for a codec before the Canon AVIs will play with MC12? (I do have fddshow/CCCP installed)

shAf

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:19:36 am »

... believing there may be something on the Canon software installation disk, I found its Quicktime installer and installed it.  Now ... Quicktime and Nero Showtime will play these AVIs but MC12 still cannot.

I tried rebooting and changing the MC video playback settings for DirectShow playback (... i.e., "directshow filters" ... select '.avi' ... and choosing either of the Nero Quicktime or Quicktime filters), but MC still plays the audio without the video ... ARGH#^%*!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:30:38 am »

Can you upload one of these files?

shAf

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 05:25:50 am »

Can you upload one of these files?

I'm uploading a large zipped AVI as I write.  Sorry it's so large (222Mb), but it's the only example we have at the moment.  It can be downloaded from:
http://www.michael.shaffer.net/CanonG7AVI.zip

Being so large, please let me know when you have it so I can remove it.  You can e-mail me ... rarewolf-at-gmail-dot-com.

Thanx for looking at this AVI.  But my fear is that for MC to play it I will stilll need a proprietary codec.  Why it wouldn't come with the camera is beyond me(?)

TIA  :)

shAf

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:32:18 am »

Oooops! ... my storage space at my wwwsite was exceeded ... I'll have to come up with a different method.  If you can provide a upload location, please contact me ...

TIA  :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:27:46 am »

Use any of the free sites like http://www.megaupload.com/
JRiver CEO Elect

shAf

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:54:25 pm »

OK ... I've created a short AVI which can be downloaded from ...
http://www.michael.shaffer.net/CanonG7AVI.zip

Between now and the last time, I've discovered that these AVIs will play on my wife's computer which has MC v11.1.196 installed, whereas the computer that's giving me problems is the most recent version of MC12 installed on our HTPC.

Thanx again for looking into these AVIs, and if there is additional info I can provide, do not hesitate to ask ...

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 03:01:32 pm »

Plays fine for me.  Try the CCCP codec pack maybe?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:07:05 pm »

It also plays for me.  Where's the frisbee?

I'm using CCCP.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 04:10:58 pm »

This AVI file contains Motion JPEG compressed video. The following DirectShow setup works for me.

Installed filters & codecs: CCCP codec pack with the default options.

Only one change is needed in the FFDShow video configuration panel (the CCCP program group has a shortcut for it):

FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration > Codecs > MJPEG: libavcodec (the default value is "disabled")
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

shAf

Remedied: Canon dcam AVI won't play
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 07:32:04 am »

Only one change is needed in the FFDShow video configuration panel (the CCCP program group has a shortcut for it):

FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration > Codecs > MJPEG: libavcodec (the default value is "disabled")

Geez Louis! ... such an obscure CCCP feature ... and such a significant difference!  However, I have to wonder whether DarkPenguin and JimH also enabled this obscure feature, or if something allowed them to play this AVI using the CCCP defaults(?)  There seems to be so many quirks which seems to be inherant with the variety of video formats ... seemingly, there are a infinite number of permutations.  I have so many players installed along with a variety of codecs that either came with, or were installed to try to get one thing or another working.  There ought to be a MC tutorial describing what works best, along with how to un-install some of this garbage that may be causing more harm than good.  I'm still working on problems ... for example, see this topic (as of yet not remedied):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41385.msg282275#msg282275

Thanx for your excellent support!!  :) 

DarkPenguin

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 05:21:33 pm »

So far as I know I've installed no special codec packs.  I'm just running vista.
Pages: [1]   Go Up