INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video conversion with my purchased ripped DVDs  (Read 1066 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Video conversion with my purchased ripped DVDs
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:46:38 pm »

I'm experimenting with Handbrake right now to see how video conversion works with my purchased ripped DVDs.  That would be really neat if MC could interface with Handbrake--it has a CLI interface that probably wouldn't be very tough to interface with at all!  You could just provide conversion settings under the handheld settings area and then any title in the DVD could be converted (via handbrake...very simple CLI) and then MC would copy to the iPhone (or iPod)?

In fact, many people use the CLI only.  It must not be bad.  I'm using the GUI version but all it does is provide an easy way to configure it and then it sends the commands to the CLI to do the work.

That would be simply amazing.  Does it seem doable?

Addition: I was doing some research and found a good setting for Handbrake and the iPhone.  480x320 (native resolution) at 400 Kb/sec with 128 Kb/sec AAC audio.  One movie I encoded came in at 350 MB and the quality is simply breathtaking for the screen's quality.  It really looks, upon simple inspection, that it couldn't really be any better.  I didn't notice any chunkiness or artifacts...I should inspect more closely, though.  I wonder how much lower I could go on quality, too?  I guess the goal is to just get the lowest acceptable settings and then I can quickly convert any video or TV show to copy to my iPhone.  Then the question becomes: so what should I keep on it?  I probably wouldn't want to watch a movie for the first time on it unless I was on a long trip and planned a good movie for the trip.  I've watched fresh movies on my laptop many times while on road trips.  I remember watching Dawn of the Dead on our way to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.  That was the perfect movie at the perfect time--it was night and totally black outside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up