INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod soundcheck problem  (Read 3511 times)

gummbah

• World Citizen
Ipod soundcheck problem
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:54:57 pm »

In some cases there seems to go something wrong when transferring replay gain values to sound check values on the ipod.
All songs from a single album get transferred, but one or two songs sound insanely loud while the others have the same volume.
Checking the replay gain value in media center they are all similar, so it seems that there is something wrong with transferring between replaygain and sound check.

Anyone else with the same problem and possible a sollution?

Thanks.

gummbah

• World Citizen
Re: Ipod soundcheck problem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:49:18 pm »

No one?

Thanks.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:20:46 am »

I am a bit dissapointed not to get support on this one. I actually bought media center primairly for use with two Ipods and now it does not work as it should and I do not get support. That's not good.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »

Often when you don't get an answer, it means that nobody knows.

Reporting the version you're using might help.  You can copy and paste System Info from MC's Help menu.

Did you try Apple support?  Is your iPod firmware up to date?

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 02:14:09 pm »

Often when you don't get an answer, it means that nobody knows.

Reporting the version you're using might help.  You can copy and paste System Info from MC's Help menu.

Did you try Apple support?  Is your iPod firmware up to date?

Hi JimH thanks for answering. I am using 12.0.67, see system info below. I have an apple Ipod Photo 4th gen with latest firmware. I tried the same albums (I noticed this strange behaviour on two albums until now) with foobar and foo_dop plugin (replaygain enabled) and everything is fine then. Removing the albums from the ipod, and use media centre to transfer again brings back the problem. Playing back the album in j river media center does not bring about any sound differences, but once transferred to the Ipod one song of the album sounds louder. Any ideas?

Media Center Registered 12.0.267 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2403 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 345 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Device info dump for 'Apple iPod Photo (K:)':

WMDMName: IPOD VAN RO (K:)
DeviceUID: $$?$storage#removablemedia#7&fb5a517&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
CanonicalName: \\?\storage#removablemedia#7&fb5a517&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
VendorName: ; VendorID: 1452
ProductID: 4612; FirmwareVersion: 1.62
WMDMSerialNumber: NULL
DeviceType: 3; DeviceID: JQ516E7RSAY; DeviceName: Apple iPod; UnsupportedDevice: 0
IsDrive: 1; DriveLetter: K:; DrivePath: ; MainDriveLetter: K:
IsJanusCapable: ; IsIpod: 1
SupportsAlbumArt: 1; AlbumArtEnabled: 1
SupportsFolders: -1; PlaylistFormat: 0; EjectMode: 0; AlwaysPumpCOMMessages: 0
SupportedFileTypes: mp3;wav;mp4;aa;m4a;m4b;m4p;aiff;aif;bmp;jpg;jpeg;gif;tif;tiff;png;sgi;psd
ContextMenus: Delete
MemoryTypes: Internal Memory
InstallURL:
ApplicationName: Media Center
ImageName: Apple iPod Photo
RootBasePath:
AudioBasePath: Music\[Artist]\[Album]\
ImageBasePath: Images\
VideoBasePath: Video\
DataBasePath: Data\
PlaylistBasePath: ROOT\
DatabaseBasePath:
AudibleBasePath: Audible\
MatchKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), [Name][File Size, 0], [Name]Clean([Artist], 1)[Album][Genre]FormatNumber([Track #, 0])[Media Type])
ChangeKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image),,[Rating][Composer][Date Modified])

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server (Active/Enabled)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  last.fm (Active)
  What I'm Listening To (Active)

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:03:32 am »

If anyone would like to do some testing I'll be happy to upload the album or anything.

Cheers

Kyro-DK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:45:58 am »

This may sound stupid...
But have you activated "volume adjustment" in MC? (right click on ipod).

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 04:43:22 pm »

Yes actually I have. Why, could that cause the problem?

Kyro-DK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:40:53 am »

No no.

Why I said that was becuse, if you do not activate it, soundcheck on the iPod does not work.

Is that a mistake/bug J River?
Why would you NOT want the soundcheck to work?

Anyone here that don't want the soundcheck vaules on their iPod, even tho you can deactivate it on the ipod itself?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 09:09:24 am »

Why I said that was becuse, if you do not activate it, soundcheck on the iPod does not work.

That's not true, soundcheck works if you've analysed your audio and you have the soundcheck option on your ipod switched on.

Volume adjustment is different - it makes the music louder or quieter on your ipod, nothing to do with volume levelling.

As for gummbah's problem - not sure what's happening there, have you tried restoring then initialising your ipod with MC (rightclick on device in MC tree->initalize)? I tend to always try that first with sync problems.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 09:13:22 am »

I have not tried that yet prod, but will do when I get home.
Get back to you on that.

The strange thing is that up until now I have only noticed it on two songs (although I have not listened to all songs on the Ipod yet).
But these songs transfer without any problems using foobar and foo_dop.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 10:11:16 am »

Just a thought... Maybe you could try re-analysing those two songs in MC and re-synching them back to the iPod. Make sure they are not in the iPod or the Handheld Cache to make sure the updated tags are used.

Michel.

Kyro-DK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 10:12:53 am »

That's not true, soundcheck works if you've analysed your audio and you have the soundcheck option on your ipod switched on.

Volume adjustment is different - it makes the music louder or quieter on your ipod, nothing to do with volume levelling.

Well, I tested it again (on MC 12.0.278), and you are right, it does not matter if it is on or off.

When I wrote my other reply, I had the MC from the main download page (maybe that version have a problem with soundcheck).

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 03:47:11 pm »

Just a thought... Maybe you could try re-analysing those two songs in MC and re-synching them back to the iPod. Make sure they are not in the iPod or the Handheld Cache to make sure the updated tags are used.

Michel.

I tried that but that did not work.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:23:21 am »

As for gummbah's problem - not sure what's happening there, have you tried restoring then initialising your ipod with MC (rightclick on device in MC tree->initalize)? I tend to always try that first with sync problems.

Ok, I tried restoring and initialising the ipod, but that did not work either  :-\

I have uploaded the songs where I have observed this problem. Two rar files, each with three songs, where the middle song is the one that sounds louder than the outhers. The songs are without sound analysis (that info is in my database) so you need to recalculate and then transfer to your ipod:

http://files-upload.com/en/366242/Songs1.rar.html
http://files-upload.com/en/366254/songs2.rar.html

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 10:32:01 am »

Thanks for the files.  It'll be fixed next build.  The issue was only with very loud files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:10 pm »

Thanks for the files.  It'll be fixed next build.  The issue was only with very loud files.

That is excellent and thank you!! Glad I could be of any help.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up