INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio screeching with WinTV HVR 950-USB--SOLVED  (Read 3634 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio screeching with WinTV HVR 950-USB--SOLVED
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:21:40 pm »

Yaobing--

First of all, welcome back!  I enjoyed your pix of your trip to China.

So, while you were trotting along the Great Wall, I picked up a WinTV HVR 950 USB.  This is a TV nubbin that hooks into a USB port.  I intended to use it on my laptop, both with cable and OTA.  But when I installed it, a couple of odd things occured within MC:

--MC sees it as a "WinTV 980", if that makes any diff.  AFAIK, no such device exists.

--On install, MC warns that the audio needs a separate cable routed from the device to the soundcard.  Well, the device has no speparate audio out, and although my laptop has a MIC input, I don't think that's what you're talking about.

--MC correctly scans available channels zippingly fast.  But both cable and OTA playback starts this way:  muted, then a pulsating screech that gradually increases in volume.

--The "Win tv 2000" app that comes with plays audio fine.  It doesn't do anything else well, including taking a year to scan channels, and possiby casuing a third A/V app to crash. 

What's going on here?  I checked the pre-existing audio/tv thread, but I couldn't make sense of it.  Is this the same issue?  Is there a quick fix?

Thanks, Yao! 

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Audio screeching with WinTV HVR 950-USB
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:09:43 pm »

--MC sees it as a "WinTV 980", if that makes any diff.  AFAIK, no such device exists.
Not sure. Maybe that is how Hauppauge named it in its device driver.

--On install, MC warns that the audio needs a separate cable routed from the device to the soundcard.  Well, the device has no speparate audio out, and although my laptop has a MIC input, I don't think that's what you're talking about.
MC asks (not warns) whether your device requires a cable. Answer no if your device manual does not instruct you to connect a cable.

--MC correctly scans available channels zippingly fast.  But both cable and OTA playback starts this way:  muted, then a pulsating screech that gradually increases in volume.

That does not sound good. You would never hear good sound? Assuming you answered "no" when MC asked whether you have a cable connecting from the device to the sound card, MC should render audio using a renderer of your choice for the current zone (this bit is also automatic for ATSC digital TV part - the cable to sound card thing is relevant only for analog TV).

Email me a log file.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:32:37 am »

How did this work out? I am looking at the same device. Seems cool, but then I have not looked far yet.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:52:28 pm »

Yaobing--

Sorry I haven't submitted a log file, I uninstalled the software for the device because it seemed to interfere with another A/V (I mean audio/video) app.  Also, I'm pretty sure I failed to answer "no" on MC install regarding cable, etc, contrary to your rather hopeful assumption.  So when I get around to it I will reinstall and let you know.

Hamm--

I can confirm that it's a nifty little device and it seems to work well, my issues notwithstanding.  But it was really a novelty/impulse purchase for me, and until I can dream up a use for it, it will likely remain forgotten at the bottom of my cables and hookups box.   

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:05 am »

Well, is it worth a try, or do you believe that you had configured it/MC correctly?
Hate to spend the money on a toy that I can't play with, yet don't want to spend more if I don't have to.

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:34:04 pm »

I do not believe I configured it properly for use within MC.  Specifically, I now think I answered the "audio cable" question incorrectly--hence the odd audio.  I'm sure many others here have used the same device with no problems.  Just as soon as I get over my laziness, I plan on reinstalling it properly.  Since my need is weeks or months away, and I am really, really lazy, I think you'll have to take the lead on this.

As for the device itself, as I'm sure you know it is quite tiny and easily portable--all in its favor.  On the other hand, in order to get TV input, you need either a handy coax connection or an antenna--both items distinctly un-portable.  So from that perspective, I would also consider larger, more fully-featured devices, all other things being equal.

MC TV is a great way to go, from what I've seen.  I would echo glynor's wish for some sort of localized programming guide, but that whole area seems to be thoroughly lawyered up right now, so i'm not holding my breath.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »

We've bought a couple of small USB "HD TV sticks" lately.  They work but not without some problems.  Hopefull, we'll tune them up.

Kworld HD Stick
Diamond Xtreme TV HDTV100
Pinnacle PCTV HD stick

They all come with portable antennas.

Edit -- I just tested the Pinnacle and the reception seems a lot better.  It seems to work well (so far).

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:12:33 am »

Thanks for all the info.
You know, I'm playing catchup on video having avoided it for the past few years.
I'd really like a small device that I could take with me easily(?).

But it'll have to work with MC.
I guess I can get this one and see if it works ok. Always return it if not.
Have to check the Pinnacle too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:58:23 am »

Pause and record don't currently work for analog on the USB TV sticks.  We're working on it.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:29:13 pm »

Thanks Jim.

Well, we're here to test, eh?
And, actually I am interested in the OTA HDTV reception, it's good to be 6-7 miles from the transmitter.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 04:57:55 pm »

You know, I'm playing catchup on video having avoided it for the past few years.
I'd really like a small device that I could take with me easily(?).

I can confirm that the dvico Nano works just fine (well the DVB-T version) with MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:53:32 am »

Ok, just got a new 22" LCD, an NVidia 8600GT, and will go pick up the Pinnacle.
It has good reviews on many sites while the KWorld had mixed reviews.
Back in a while...

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 07:06:49 pm »

Just to update on my own problem, MC is working perfectly with my device now (just tried it out again with latest Beta version, may have been solved for a while).  MC has a MUCH more intuitive approach than the native WinTV 2000 app, and channel scanning is a lot faster (10X).
Pages: [1]   Go Up