INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XP Remote Desktop  (Read 1703 times)

chrisr

• Recent member
XP Remote Desktop
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:01:47 am »

I've tried using Windows Remote Desktop to wirelessly control my media PC from a laptop.  I get the error below.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  - Chris

Media Center 12.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x01622f5d" referenced memory at "0x019f79a8". The memory could not be read.
Digital: Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, PC running JRiver
Amps: Halcro DM-10 pre, Krell FPB-400cx amp
Speakers: Wilson W/P 7 speakers, REL Stadium III sub
Cables: Nordost Valhalla PCs, ICs, SCs
Power: Furutech GTX-D(R) outlets, Nordost Thor conditioner, Dedicated 30A lines
Tweaks: HRS M3 isolation base
Home Theater: Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Anthem AVM60 processor, Krell FPB-450mcx center channel amp, Krell TAS amp (unique 7 channel), Wilson Watch center speaker

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: XP Remote Desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:21:43 am »

I don't have an answer but I know that MC works with Remote Desktop. I used to use it all the time from my old laptop in the kitchen. Haven't used it in a while since my new MC machine runs Vista Home Premium which does not support Remote Desktop :-(

Can you control other applications with Remote Desktop or is it only MC that is giving you trouble?

How much memory is on the laptop? Does it have DirectX video?

Michel.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:05:28 pm »

Oh boy, oh boy oh boy! I sooo happy!

Thanks Mr ChriZ!

Michel.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:05:31 am »

I Know This Maybe A Bit More Remote, But

I have been wondering for some time if there was a way to not only remotely control MC but other things on my PC like When I Go To N.J. I Can Use Other Applications.

There Happens To Be www.gotomypc.com But I Am Not Sure Why I Would Want To Subscribe To That Service, Does Not This Support Already Exist In Windows Xp That A User Can Use To Access There Own PC?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

evsol

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:17:36 am »

You can always use logmein (there is a free version) which allows you to use any browser to remotely control your PC...there are some restrictions to the free version (such as no file transfers from local to remote PC). I have used it for a couple of years now with a lot of success on my client's PCs (I work as the network/systems admin for a non-profit, from Texas to NYC)...

http://www.logmein.com

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »

XP Professional has remote desktop.  XP Home does not.  Vista Business and Ultimate have Remote Desktop, but the various home and media center editions do not (although that missingremote web site linked above claims to have a hack for home premium!)

For systems without Remote Desktop support, I highly recommend UltraVNC (or one of the several other VNC distributions) at ultravnc.com.  This is an open source freeware remoting tool that is also cross-platform.  Recent versions have pretty good performance.

Even on my XP Pro systems, I sometimes use UltraVNC instead of Remote Desktop because:
1. VNC does not blank out the console screen like Remote Desktop does.  This makes it appropriate for remote controlling an HTPC box.
- This is especially helpful for providing another user assistance remotely.  I find it much easier to use than Windows Remote Assistance, for example.
2. VNC has no problem working with DirectX applications (such as MediaCenter 12's Theater mode).  Generally, such apps will refuse to run under Remote Desktop (although I know of one major DirectX app that switches to a software renderer so it will work under Remote Desktop - but most don't do this).

Other remote solutions include pcAnywhere, radmin (both of which I have used in the past but which are no better than the free VNC), gotomypc, laplink gold, and probably a few others I've not used.

For me, I encounter no situations that are not aptly handled by either Remote Desktop or VNC.

For Linux users, I highly recommend NoMachine's NX Server (also freeware).  Performance is much better than VNC and it has better clipboard support.  It beats using a local X server because it allows you to suspend a session from one remote machine and resume it on another ala Windows Remote Desktop.

I consider remote controling a fundamentally important capability of any computing platform!

Soundman.

Pages: [1]   Go Up