INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore Library Conundrum  (Read 2158 times)

rmarmes

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Restore Library Conundrum
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:30:07 pm »

Two weeks ago I performed a "Backup Library" on my MC12 library.  Yesterday I rebuilt the PC that Media Center was on (I reloaded windows XP SP2, drivers, MC12..., etc).  I took measures so that the backup library was untouched during this process, and the cataloged data (mostly ape files) were also untouched.   

All was well until I tried to restore the library today via the "Restore Library" option.  I expected this process to fully restore the library:  data with both standard and *User" library fields to be populated, as well as having the various view schemas preserved.  This did not occur as only the Standard library fields were restored.  The four User fields were a no show, and none of the view schemas were restored.  I should add that when I unzipped the backup library it DID contain the four User fields. 

Is there more to the restore process?  I would appreciate any help as I try to put Humpty/Dumpty back together.  Thanks in advance.
R

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Restore Library Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:32:10 pm »

Just add the user fields to any view where you need them.  Edit View Scheme is where you start.

rmarmes

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:09:30 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't think I made myself understood very well.  The schema is a secondary issue for me.  First, I need the user fields restored first, don't I?  Right now they don't exist in my restored library.  Or is there something I'm missing?
R

gappie

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:35:40 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't think I made myself understood very well.  The schema is a secondary issue for me.  First, I need the user fields restored first, don't I?  Right now they don't exist in my restored library.  Or is there something I'm missing?
R
they should be. i did that often enough and i have about 20 user fields. when you open the restored library with windows explorer, you can see all the fields. are you seeing the fields you are missing in there?

rmarmes

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:46:23 pm »

G,
Yes, all the fields, including the missing ones, are in the zipped backup file.  There is one .jmd file for each missing field:  opus, orchestra, publisher data, and library vol.
R

gappie

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:21:07 am »

well, then they are still there. that is nice. now when you click on a file, and choose tag. and in the upper left corner from the tag window, choose show all tags. can you see the 'missing' fields?

rmarmes

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:48:53 am »

Gappie,
Since my previous posting I reloaded Media Center thinking I must have done something wrong during the re-install process.  Long story short, after this latest re-install, the first thing I did was to restore my library from the backup.  Now all of the user defined fields are there!  That's the good news, however, data only shows up for one of the fields (one I labelled "Opus"); there is no data in the other user defined fields.

Given this result I'm "assuming" that for the "Opus" field I must have configured it as "Store in file tags (when possible)", so that the data was actually stored in the file, and was "recovered" during the backup process.  I must have defined the other fields differently, and therefore the data was NOT stored in the file, and is therefore lost. 

Is this a reasonable conclusion?  So in future all user fields should be defined such that the data is stored in the file?
R

gappie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:05:37 am »

no, i never store data in files. the data should be in database fields.
one of the things you could try is to disable 'update tags when file info changes' (options>general), and under auto-import disable 'update for external changes'. close mc and copy one of the fields that are empty from your backup into the library (one of those user defined jmd files). open mc again and see if the data is back. you might want to make a back before experimenting.

rmarmes

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 07:16:17 am »

Gappie,
PROBLEM SOLVED!  The solution was easy, and I suppose obvious:

1.  I renamed the "Library" folder in the "Media Center 12" folder (which as you know is on the C: drive->Application Data->JRiver...);
2.  I created an empty new "Library" folder;
3.  I double clicked on the backup file (that I had been trying to restore) so that all the .jmd files were visible; and
4.  I selected all these files and pasted them into the new "Library" folder.

When I ran MC after this last step I had all my standard AND user fields WITH data; and all the view schemas were back!  

No doubt there is a more straightforward approach, but this worked and will save me many hours of re-entering data.  Thanks again for your help thru the process, Gappie.
Rick

gappie

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 07:22:42 am »

great..  :)

rmarmes

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 07:23:40 am »

Gappie,
Great minds think alike (and so do ours!)...Seems that your post suggested the course of action I took to solve the problem:  Move the .jmd file(s) to the Library folder.  I took the hammer approach and replaced everything; yours was less drastic.  The end result is "problem solved".

I am glad to hear that you store all your data in the database, and not on the file.  That just seems like the most efficient way to do things, so I'll continue with that approach.

Thanks again for working this problem with me.  
R

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 09:20:51 am »

"no, i never store data in files. the data should be in database fields. "

Can you please elaborate further?

DC

gappie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 09:53:44 am »

"no, i never store data in files. the data should be in database fields. "

Can you please elaborate further?

DC
well, taken out of the conversation it gets a bit of an other meaning. the data of rmarmes should be in de database fields, and not lost as he thought. or, that was what i thought i said.  ;)
there should be an old thread with the pros and cons from storing data in the file tags. here or on the mc11 forum.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 10:14:53 am »

It's good to know everything worked out with rmarmes.

But i'm a bit lost as to why the library did not restore as described in the first post, as that is *all* that should be required. Going through the pc rebuild should not be any different than upgrading to a newer version of MC as far as the library, custom fields & view schemes are concerned.

Which version of MC was used for the restore ?

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:54:54 am »

Just posted on a similar problem..
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41768.0
Any idea on how to restore?
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up