INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Quality difference when using WMP engine  (Read 1517 times)

20khz

Video Quality difference when using WMP engine
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:39 am »

I'm running MC12 on my new computer with Vista Ultimate. Here's my problem:  I've noticed that the video quality is much better when I use the Media player engine.  When i am watching .avi movies, any text or titles are slightly blurry and the the video itself is a bit blocky and pixelated...not horribly so, but it's quite noticeable when comparing it to using the WMP engine.  I have an Nvidia GeForce 8800 graphics card and 4 gigs of ram, so I was expecting much better quality from my videos. I've tried a few different codec sets, CCCP, Ffdshow and now I'm using the Vista Codec Pack.  Could someone tell me which filters and codecs  I should have checked in directshow, since I'm guessing it's a codec issue. I've been pulling my hair out for a week and trying to read through past entries, but I haven't been able to find any help.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: Video Quality difference when using WMP engine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 04:43:28 am »

Hi

I had this same problem but playing with the DirectShow settings fixed it.

So;

Tools->Options->Playback->DirectShow playback settings

Deselect the Use WMP checkbox and then in the DirectShow filters section on the right select .avi and then click Select Filters. In Select Video Renderer select Legacy Video Renderer.

You may want to do the same for .divx.

Hope this fixes it for you.

Unfortunately you'll find that with this configuration Windows Aero is disabled whilst playing video. To re-enable it you need to exit MC and restart.

20khz

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:52 am »

That worked!  Thanks so much for your help!

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »

To be more precise, Nvidia still haven't fixed VRM7/9 in thier Vista drivers :( - This is 100% a Nvidia problem.
I've found that the WMP engine still has better quality than the legacy video renderer, and there really isn't anything of note missing- I'm only aware of a lack of auto-resume, but this annoys the heck out of me anyway.

-Leezer-

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:50:06 pm »

I'm only aware of a lack of auto-resume, but this annoys the heck out of me anyway.

No volume or aspect ratio control, and no selection of specific audio renderer (i.e. where to output sound) for zones. Pretty fundamental stuff for my use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up