INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes and slowdowns  (Read 2131 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Crashes and slowdowns
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:15:01 am »

I am having a lot of MC crashing problems.  I often see JRWorker taking over 50%+ of my CPU and then my computer slows to a halt where I can't even move the mouse smoothly.  Plus, switching between libraries gives lots of crashing problems and I usually end up having to force close MC because it locks up.  Any work to help fix these issues would be great.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crashes and slowdowns
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:25:27 pm »

I am having a lot of MC crashing problems.  I often see JRWorker taking over 50%+ of my CPU and then my computer slows to a halt where I can't even move the mouse smoothly.  Plus, switching between libraries gives lots of crashing problems and I usually end up having to force close MC because it locks up.  Any work to help fix these issues would be great.

Uninstall any third party plug-ins.

Take a look at this thread for ideas on other problems:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

benn600

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »

I have used MC as a server many times and I must say that its server features inevitably end up crashing things.  Over the past 3 server installs on two different sets of hardware, it always gives the same runtime error message.  The only plugins I have installed are scthom's FLAC plugins and those seem to be very stable now.  My client installs work better but switching libraries causes issues.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:01:14 pm »

I have used MC as a server many times and I must say that its server features inevitably end up crashing things.  Over the past 3 server installs on two different sets of hardware, it always gives the same runtime error message.  The only plugins I have installed are scthom's FLAC plugins and those seem to be very stable now.  My client installs work better but switching libraries causes issues.
Post a log.

Search for crash in the log.

Confirm that the version of FLAC decoder you're using is the latest.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 06:15:10 pm »

I emailed you Jim.

EpF

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:42:13 am »

I often see JRWorker taking over 50%+ of my CPU and then my computer slows to a halt where I can't even move the mouse smoothly.
I've been getting this constantly over the last good number of builds, though MC seldom crashes. My big problem is how randomly JRWorker decides to execute, and how long it spends working and hogging my resources. I have disabled all plugins and checked the resolved problems thread, and I've found nothing to help. What can I do to stop JRWorker from running unexpectedly, or is there something else I can do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:55:34 am »

Virus checker?  Visualizations?  Etc.

Anything else changed?

EpF

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:20:52 am »

Virus checker?  Visualizations?  Etc.

Anything else changed?
I have ZoneAlarm and Avast! running, but even with them disabled I still get JRWorker interrupting things. Otherwise, nothing has changed that I can think of, though this has been going on for a long time and I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. I don't have any visualisations running - just a trackinfo page.

INFO

Media Center Registered 12.0.286 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2400 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1488 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3550A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3550A    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:5  MaxSpeed:5  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server
  TiVo Server
  UPnP Server
  Captionater 3000
  Data Master
  last.fm (Active)
  Playing Now
  Replace Master

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 01:16:35 pm »

Are all your thumbnails built ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 01:33:08 pm »

Uninstall these (to test):
Captionater 3000
Data Master
last.fm (Active)
Playing Now
Replace Master

EpF

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 02:38:37 pm »

I've uninstalled all the plugins requested, and I'm still having the problem. I turned on logging, and I notice that JRWorker is spending time trying to get thumbnails for video files that are not completely downloaded. However the files are in a directory that is not in my autoimport folder list.

As far as all thumbnails being built is concerned, MC is usually running constantly on my machine, so  it should have ample time to build  all thumbnails. I don't add that much new stuff, so it's not as if it always has new files to create thumbnails for...

benn600

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 09:56:01 am »

I don't have any of those installed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up