INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must Read: Car iPhone Setup  (Read 3033 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Must Read: Car iPhone Setup
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:00:41 pm »

I just got a new car.  It was an upgrade from a 1991 Buick Century to 2004 Chevrolet Impala.  In those few days before I committed to purchasing it, I started looking around at car stereos.  I was thinking that I would not be satisfied with the stock stereo.  Interestingly enough, I was not looking for the best speakers because I wasn't interested in blasting everyone/thing away.  When I had everything chosen, I laughed a bit because I had picked out quite high end components at Best Buy.  I was looking at $1,500 or so...which is much more than what I was going for: a moderately loud sound with very good frequency response, which is very important to me and many people.

After listening to the car stereo and realizing it is the upgraded, premium stereo with CD (no cassette, boo hoo)...I am more than satisfied with the deep bass, good high tones, and a good variety of mid ranges.  Therefore, I decided to not spend the very large sum of money replacing everything--especially this early.

So I spent 3 hours Saturday morning cleaning it.  After some other activities, I ran to Best Buy and found an installer who pointed me to the iSimple GM kit.  It essentially lets you use your iPod with your stock stereo, which is a great goal.  I, therefore, won't lose the auto volume adjustment (based on speed, I kind of like it), or other settings that are set through the stereo--oh, or the door chimes.

After a few hours trying to find all the screws--even with two separate instruction sets--I got the dash opened up and it was one piece, door to door!  I pulled the stereo and attached the harness.  I then needed power.  With my handy meter in hand, I tested some cables for power.  After getting it all hooked up, I tried it.  With my iPod Nano, it does this weird flashing on the screen every second or two and the pixels seem to double in size, making it difficult to read.  Something is very strange about that.  However, with my inexpensive die-test out of the way, I could move to the real issue.  Does my iPhone work?  YES!  It works beautifully and even charges--some other devices work with the iPhone but don't charge it for some reason.

I then spent another half hour checking all routing spaces.  I did not want to drill holes because it would be extra work, hassle, and would more permanently change the vehicle.  By the way, I didn't even splice the power cable.  After one of the seemingly easiest but most difficult routings ever, I got the cable ran to the floor straight down to the center floor of the car.

The included mount was worthless.  It would mount via adhesive--I don't have a flat space anywhere--screws (no)--or a air vent mount, which obviously is a horrible idea.  So now that I knew it was working and new I would need another mount, I closed the dash up, tried it once more, and ran to Best Buy again (I am installing it the day after purchasing it).  The cupholder mount was appealing but wouldn't work well for a number of reasons.  I ended up choosing the windshield mount with the intention of somehow adding some minor support from the dash up to the device.  After arriving home again, I opened it up and started bending the arm around.  It was longer than usual but still not long enough to go down from the window to the dash and up to the iPhone mounting position.  So it has to simply hang from the ceiling.

Then I had the major issue of the cable.  Honestly, I don't even want to see the thing!  Hmm, I started looking around and realized the ultimate solution (and it really is)!  I ended up concealing the cable from its exit point heading left to the driver's door, nicely hidden above trim pieces.  It then continues behind the fuse box and up through the driver's door trim.  At that point, it easily sits in the gap at the ceiling where it continues to the rear-view mirror.  Here, it descends behind built in trim that conceals power wires for the mirror.  After this, it is literally a few inches away from the mount suction cup.  Now, I just grabbed a few click-ties and very securely and tightly fastened the cable behind the arm so it contours the arm down to the bottom where it can connect.

The cable is 100% concealed until it passes the mirror--which is only a few inches!  You wonder how the cable magically got there!  Also, simply amazing was the fact that the cable was 100% exactly the correct length.  After quickly estimating cable requirements, I realized I might be a little short.  So I pulled some of the excess I left from behind the stereo, etc., to basically take most of the slack out.  By the iPhone, there are no complaints at all of too much or too little cable.  It is perfect.

It can be annoying getting it going because it usually requires some intervention, but usually just a few buttons pushes.  When I attach it, it asks if it should enter airplane mode.  I don't notice anything too horrible even when it's not in airplane mode.  Also, I am going to take my dock connector out tomorrow morning to see if I could somehow rig that up. Now, I have to squeeze the cable to disconnect.  I want a dock that I just set it in, but I still want the side pads to grip the iPhone.  I think with some more click ties and possibly a very clean strip of tape, I can attach the dock to the mount.

When I found the product, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a good solution.  I obviously had no interest AT ALL in routing the cable to the glove box.  I'm not throwing my $600 phone with gorgeous display in the glove box!  I want it visible so I can see the cover art and even use the phone (not while driving, of course).  By the way, the car stereo next/prev buttons do in fact work.  Unfortunately, my single complaint of the car is that it doesn't have the steering wheel controls, otherwise I'm assuming those would work, too.  I am almost tempted to see if I could get a different wheel at a junk yard because those controls would be incredible.

I know how important music is to everyone here and this project turned out so many times better than I thought it ever could I just have to brag a little bit.  And the price wasn't bad at all, either, especially compared to $1K + for a completely new stereo--which wouldn't be worth it to me.  The iSimple interface (by Peripheral) cost $100 and the better mount cost $31.  I got 12%/10% off both items because of the Best Buy coupons this past weekend.  In the end the whole project cost me around $120...oh, plus $600 for the iPhone, lol!  But now I am actually using the iPod features--very much so!  No more burning CDs!  I do have a nice CD in the dash for the hopefully never or rare time I don't have my iPhone.

If anyone else has a nice setup I'd like to hear ideas as well.  I will try the dock tomorrow and make a point of posting pictures.  If I get the dock connector how I want it, then adding or removing the iPhone will be a snap--but there will be some resistance from the pads so it doesn't fall out.

benn600

Re: Must Read: Car iPhone Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:01:22 pm »

Sorry, I exceeded the limit.  This is obviously a long story.  Hope someone enjoys reading it--I sure enjoyed the project.

The one complaint I must somehow fix is that the mount shakes too much.  Since the arm is adjustable, it is not solid and shakes.  The mount itself is strongly attached to the windshield but the arm shakes--because it has some degree of flexibility (very minimal, though) and its length contribute to the overall shakiness of the device.  More shakiness isn't cool and will contribute to it releasing from the window.  I tried using a very small camera tripod today to just provide some extra support from the dash.  It did help dramatically but I will need a more specialized tripod to work well.  I don't want the entire thing mounted from the dash but a little extra support would be fine.

One last great feature.  The mount I got has 15 degree click rotations so it can rotate a full 360 degrees, meaning I can easily rotate my iPhone on the fly and it works great.  If the pads secure the iPhone well enough, then adding the dock connector shouldn't introduce any extra problems here.

Installing it myself saved at least $30 and I doubt I would have got such a fantastic cable route since installers are likely always in a hurry--I devoted some serious time to figuring everything out (granted I'm not a professional).

benn600

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:51 am »

Today I spent about a half hour trying to get the cradle attached.  I ended up with a pretty good solution where the cradle was connected to the cable and reasonably secure.  Unfortunately, I didn't even test it before I finished the project.  It doesn't work!  I think I know why: the cradle has an audio out jack so it probably takes those pins from the iPod dock connector and routes them only to the audio output.

Does anyone know if there is a cradle that does not have the audio out port?  I would also like the cradle to be less secure.  It likes to grip the iPhone and make it more difficult to remove.  If it just lifted out, that would be perfect.

The cradle introduced a very pleasing angle to the iPhone's position that made all viewing better (even when rotated).  I have considered simply taking the existing cable, taping the little security pins that hold it in the iPhone, and building something to hold it in the correct place.  It's too bad that they don't utilize cradles more in these iPod holder devices.

I'm going to try to find a cradle without the audio out port but I'm afraid it's gonna be pricey as all Apple stuff is...probably $40+!!  I was very willing to give up my cradle at home for my car's sake.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 05:16:08 pm »

IMHO, the best way to upgrade a car stereo is to use the very best of the car makers (OEM) stereos to maintain the integration and styling of the car and then go the the very best aftermarket/speaker combo that you can afford.  Often you cam pick up these units on ebay or at the local pick-n-pull for pennies (dimes) on the dollar compared to dealer pricing.  $1500 OEM nav radios often go for under $500, etc, etc.

Yes, I don't go for the flash neon thousands-of-tiny-unusable-and-never-used-buttons Japanese after market head unit look.  In the past 15 years, and even more so in the past 5, the car makers are making head units that can produce as clean a signal as any after-market unit.  It's in the area of amps & speakers (more clarity and sheer sound volume) that you can still do better in the aftermarket.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:05 pm »

And I am precisely not interested in blasting my ears away.  I get a very satisfactory volume with what sounds like no distortion and am very pleased.

I guess now I'd like to ask if anyone has read all the postings above by me?  That would be interesting if anyone is interested enough.

I ended up securing the side tabs on the included cable so iPhone can be detached without squeezing the sides.  Then, I just used lots of click-ties and careful examination...with a little bit of tape and I have pretty close to a cradle setup.  I really only need to hold the window mount so I don't put too much force on it -- so it would fall off.  The cable is secure enough that it doesn't move much at all.  I bought some cable conduit (tubing) but turns out the size I got isn't large enough.  They had another size larger that should work so I'll pick that up tomorrow.  That will help hide some click-ties and the wire along the mount arm.

I will definitely take some pictures sometime!

gappie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:22:52 am »

i did read it all benn. just out of interest.
i dont have a car radio/stereo. could not find music in the same key as the sound of the motor.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:46:29 pm »

I even revised it more today.  I had a tough time securing the cable pins so I could create a cradle-type holder.  This allows me to remove iPhone without having to squeeze the small, tough to reach, cable pins.  I just ended up adding another click-tie around the connector and surprisingly enough, it was able to hold the side buttons in.  I spent almost an hour trying different glues and tape.  Nothing worked well and it was all messy and a joke.  The click-tie works great.

Then I added three more securing it to the mount.  With the soft foam and tight click-ties, it stays in place very well.  I still hold the mount when removing iPhone but I don't need to touch the cable.  It doesn't look the best at the moment.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:13 pm »

I really wish there was a way to send the iPhone's audio volume through the car stereo.  Interesting how it will send it through the audio out port but doesn't seem to sent it through the dock connector...probably because it can't really "sense" if the dock is connected as it can when headphones are.  Too bad it wouldn't add another button for Dock Audio Out.  Then I could listen to the caller on my car stereo without any additional hardware at all.  The built in microphone is probably fine.  With road noise it can just be a little difficult to hear the caller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up