INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ir receiver for Mc12?  (Read 3676 times)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Ir receiver for Mc12?
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:45:47 pm »

Hi, I want to build a Media center pc and because I hate to use Girder, I'm looking for an ir receiver. I know nobody wants to say if it works for sure. JRiver suggests some Ir devices, but I can't buy them (I live in Europe, so they would be very expensive.) My question is if Mc12 can also work with an other ir receiver with com or usb port. like this two devices:

http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-INFRAROT-EMPFANGER-MODUL-FERNBEDIENUNG-AM-PC_W0QQitemZ120143442912QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38861QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/IR-INFRAROT-EMPFANGER-MODUL-FERNBEDIENUNG-AM-PC_W0QQitemZ120144822890QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38861QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

sry the description is in german but you can see the essential thing.

Can Mc12 "work" with them. After the description on J River's remote website I only need any Ir receiver.

So when I buy one of them, is there a good chance that Mc12 can work with them?

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: Ir receiver for Mc12?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:25:48 pm »

I use MC12 with a Logitech Harmony Remote 885 using a Microsoft Media Center USB IR receiver. The remote is configured to act like a Microsoft Media Center Remote whilst I'm in certain Logitech-penned "Activities".

Anyway, it works pretty well - though not as well as it could do.

I've heard a better option is a USB-UIRT or IRMAN receiver, but they aren't that simple to get hold of outside the US - and I'm not sure if you can use them without Girder.

Information is a little thin on the ground, or it's buried so deep I haven't been able to find it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:02:39 pm »

I would recommend the iMON Station or iMON Inside. The iMON station is a USB IR receiver with remote and the iMON Inside fits into a 3 1/2" bay and also provides the ability to turn the computer on/off with the remote. Their website lists the European distributors.

I have an iMON IR receiver built into my Silverstone case and love it. A few weeks ago I installed an iMON Inside in a friends HTPC. After installing it, it took about 10 minutes to add all the commands in for MC and Theatertek. The software is extremely easy to use and you can enter up to three keystrokes for each hot key command.  Open and print the Keyboard Hot-Keys from the help menu in MC first to make it easier.

My friend also has a Harmony 880 remote and it works perfectly with the iMON software.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:05:25 am »

Thx so the imon xyz (I would buy iMON 2.4G DT) works well with Mc12

tn1
-- Albert Einstein

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:52:17 am »

My friend also has a Harmony 880 remote and it works perfectly with the iMON software.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:50:25 am »

I use my Yami Universal RC that came with the V2700 Receiver programed with the codes from the MS Home remote / IR receiver - which all works with MC
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:56:54 am »

Thx so the imon xyz (I would buy iMON 2.4G DT) works well with Mc12

tn1
The iMON software allows you to easily assign hot key commands to buttons for any software on your computer that has hot keys so it works great with Media Center. The remote you mentioned is RF instead of IR. If you want to control the computer and other components with a IR universal remote (Harmony remote, for example), then you would want the IR remote. However, if you are just controlling the computer, then the RF remote would be fine.

RiderFan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 01:37:56 pm »

I use a firefly mini remote http://www.snapstream.com/products/fireflymini/, and this guy, http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp made awesome software that will run any windows program you wish.

I use it to run my HTPC including JRiver and it works awesome. The program you can download for free, and the remote is $30 and I am sure they will send it to Europe as they have many European customers.

I am currently using a Harmony 880 to contoll my setup and I am in heaven!

Check it out.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:29:17 pm »

and this guy, http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp made awesome software that will run any windows program you wish

Nice link... I'll take it ;)

C.

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 07:41:29 am »

I am currently using a Harmony 880 to contoll my setup and I am in heaven!
I also have a Harmony 880 so if I understand you correctly, all you really need from the Firefly setup is the receiver because you're using the Harmony? I couldn't imagine having to go back to using more than one remote. :)
Jeff

RiderFan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

I also have a Harmony 880 so if I understand you correctly, all you really need from the Firefly setup is the receiver because you're using the Harmony? I couldn't imagine having to go back to using more than one remote. :)
Exactly, my firefly remote is in a drawer somewhere.

raldo

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 06:39:42 pm »

I'd recommend *not* buying the IMON receiver.

A couple of reasons why:
o I've had some trouble using their plugin with the Logitech Harmony. There is no support at all from Soundgraph (IMON). Logitech has a really good support system, though. Just do a search on "harmony" and "imon", and you'll see what I mean.
o The IMON plugin *only* passes the IMON codes through. Thus you are limited to the IMON codes only. Irman, usbiirt, and IRA3 give "infinite" possiblilities wrt. this.

At some point, you'll probably like to replace the IMON remote with some other remote, and then you'll run into trouble...

I just bought the IRA3 ir receiver (connects to a serial port) and it works fine with the Irman plugin in MC. I bought it on Vendur.no. This is a Norwegian site but they may deliver internationally. The IRA3 module also has WOL, so that you can turn on your PC with the remote!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 08:04:17 pm »

I'd recommend *not* buying the IMON receiver.

A couple of reasons why:
o I've had some trouble using their plugin with the Logitech Harmony. There is no support at all from Soundgraph (IMON). Logitech has a really good support system, though. Just do a search on "harmony" and "imon", and you'll see what I mean.
o The IMON plugin *only* passes the IMON codes through. Thus you are limited to the IMON codes only. Irman, usbiirt, and IRA3 give "infinite" possiblilities wrt. this.

At some point, you'll probably like to replace the IMON remote with some other remote, and then you'll run into trouble...
I'm not sure what you refer to by "their plugin" when using the Harmony remote. With the Logitech software I just selected "Soundgraph iMON" as a device just like I selected the Onkyo receiver and Samsung HDTV. There was no "plugin" involved. The iMON receiver worked just like any other IR device.

I'm also confused why you say "The IMON plugin *only* passes the IMON codes through." I still don't understand your use of a "plugin." You can replace the iMON remote with many universal remotes and not have any trouble at all.

Several years ago, when the iMON remotes/IR receivers first came out, they could not be controlled by the existing remotes. However, this is the case with many new products. I first tried a Harmony remote with my iMON 1 1/2 years ago and had no problems. Once Logitech added the iMON into their device database, it has worked great. Other universal remote companies have also added support for the iMON.

raldo

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:52:53 pm »

Ok, I guess I forgot to mention that I was using Imon through Girder.

Even after Logitech upgraded their databases I (and several others, as can be seen in the Logitech forums), had problems with the configuration. I don't know why some had problems and others hadn't, but there were problems, even when we used the Soundgraph software (and no Girder plugin)

Another problem with the Soundgraph Software, is that the application must be in focus for the button presses to work (the Soundgraph app cannot sent commands). This is a major pain when you're switching apps. With the Irman plugin, you can pause (++) MC even if it's not in focus.

With the newer versions of Imon, do all IR codes pass through, or do you just get the indication that a code has been received and then, no output?

What I like the most about IRA3 (and USBUIIRT) is that they are "Generic" and cheap. I paid $50 (260 Norwegian kroner, remember that the dollar is quite inexpensive nowadays), for the IRA3. You can also get it as OEM.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 05:05:31 am »

Thx, raldo that's the deal. I'll buy IRA 3 retail not oem

One question - which cables are included - I mean the ir receiver comes with a com connection cable for an external com- port, AM I right?

And the Power on feature really works?

thx

tn1

-- Albert Einstein

raldo

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:25:38 am »

Yes, you connect it to com1 (the standard 9 pin D-connector found on most ATX variations)

(I just connected it directly to the motherboard where there is a "9 pin serial port header" plug)

Used with Girder, you can control other apps in parallel! On the Harmony: I just configured some "random" remote to give me the MC codes. You can then add other remotes as devices to get completely new sets of codes...

I haven't connected the power On/Off function yet.

There was a cable included..
Pages: [1]   Go Up