INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yaobing: Aspect ratio problem with DVD and divx etc. when using FFDShow  (Read 1045 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe

Might need a bit of answers from Yaobing on this one. You're back from holiday right?
This is what I wrote in an earlier post:

When I use ffdshow to resize up to, let's say 3000 x 3000, the pricture are a perfect square. Even though I have set the 'No aspect correction' in ffdshow. This is a bit different to for instance Zoom Player. If i change the resizing to 2560 x 1440 the aspect ratio is closer to 16:9. I can set the aspect ratio to 16:9 but then I don't get the video all the way to the sides. No mather if I zoom in or not. It's as if the edges are cut off. This is a real turnoff when using MC for movies.
I don't like to set the aspect ratio manually either. That might look a bit strange on dvd's with different formats I think.

Anyone have advices as to getting no aspect ratio correction all the way to the sides, with resizing capabilities in ffdshow?

I have not tested this on the latest build, but I have seen no news about changes in this part.
As a sidenote to my quote, I do belive I also will have problems when I need different aspect ratios for DVD and divx files. Is there any way of solving this, without having to depend on different registry entries?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrHaugen

Re: Yaobing: Aspect ratio problem with DVD and divx etc. when using FFDShow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:26:26 am »

*bump*

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:43:02 am »

I do not quite understand what you asked. If the video is 16x9, (whether it is originally that size, or the result of resizing in FFDShow), MC displays 16x9 if you choose "Source Aspect Ratio", or "1.78:1 (Widescreen)". On the other hand, if the video is not 16x9, using the "1.78:1 (Widescreen)" option would force the video into a 16x9 window, stretching the video one way or the other.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:04:45 am »

If I remember right I belive the problem consists of 3 things:

1. When resizing with ffdshow the aspect ratio set is disregarded when it comes to video output. If you set resize to 2000 * 2000 the output will be a square no mather what you set the aspect ratio to. There might be an option to calculate and fix this internaly with ffdshow, but I don't belive the results was correct. For a reason I stopped using it.

2. If you set the aspect ratio to 16x9 you don't get the video all the way to the sides of the screen. The sides are just cut off. Not sure if the same applies to the other aspect ratios.

3. The never ending problem with setting the aspect ratios to "no aspect raio correction" and "source aspect ratio" when it comes to DVD's and divx etc. I'm not sure if this can be done automaticly at all. Had to do it manualy all the time when I was using Zoom Player and ffdshow...

As I've been on holiday for the last 3 weeks I have not tested this for a while. I'll post back when I got some more details that I'm sure of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up