INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync file count issue???  (Read 1092 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
sync file count issue???
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:20:50 pm »

Device is 80GB Ipod Video.
Audio library is a mix of Flac and MP3.

I've been experiencing this for several builds of MC12 beta but didn't have the time time nail it down until now.

Device is set to sync via a smartlist we'll call "X".  It's the only one checked under the handheld options.
I set up the smartlist to grab a certain number of songs, which should leave me some free space to use the device as a portable hard drive.
Here's the actual syntax from smartlist "X":
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Keywords]=[IPOD] [Rating]=4-5 [Duration]=120-600 [Last Played]=>7d -[Genre]=[Guitar Gods],[Classical],[Comedy],[Soundtrack] ~mix=[b]6000[/b],2,{rating=4},1,{rating=5}
So, it starts by only selecting audio files with a specific keyword.  This keyword dictates what songs can possibly be sync'd.
Then it selects only songs with a 4 or 5 star rating.
Then it filters out short and very long songs.
Then it filters out songs that have been listened to in the past 7 days.
Then it filters out a few genres.
Then it does a mix, so I should end up with a grand total of 6000 songs in any case, twice as many 4's as 5s.

When the smartlist is selected in the tree, the details shows 6000 files exactly.
Twice as many of them are rated 4, so the mix is doing it's job correctly.

Everything is perfect to this point.

Now, I want some additional smartlists to select specific genres or ratings.
ALL of these smartlists start out with the first line being Playlist  is any  smartlist "x".
The idea being, they'll sort and filter the files differently, but they will only include files already dictated by playlist "X" and won't cause any other files to be added to the player.

This isn't what's happening.
If I go into options and click one playlist with the following criteria:
Code: [Select]
playlistid==520900880 [Genre]=[Blues] ~sort=[Random]
It increases the amount of files it wants to sync.
Since this playlist is born out of playlist "X", I would think that no additional files would be sync'd.

Explain?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: sync file count issue???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:49:22 am »

Explain?

Your base smartlist that everything is built around will be different each time it's evaluated due to the ~mix rule.  This will cause problems since each additional playlist will evaluate the base smartlist.

Use a static playlist (or smartlist that's always the same) as a base and things should work as you expect.

We've also considered adding a "manual update only" style smartlist for cases like this, but we're not sure how many people would use it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: sync file count issue???
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:57:39 am »

It doesn't bother me really, as in the end, it's all songs I want to hear.
Just trying to understand it fully.  The only real downside is not being able to restrict it to the 6000 files.
Until sync time, I can't tell how much free space I'll have left until the sync window comes up and displays the estimated free space.
Not a deal breaker for me.  Just need to make sure there's a bit left since I transfer work files a lot using my ipod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up