INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Determine If MC12 Supports My Sony MP3 Player?  (Read 1166 times)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
How Do I Determine If MC12 Supports My Sony MP3 Player?
« on: August 03, 2007, 01:29:32 pm »

This is my first MP3 player.  I'm currently using the latest version of MC10 and though my Sony MP3 player is seen by MC10 under "Drives and Devices", I can't drag songs onto it and have them playable.  I'm considering upgrading to MC12.

The player came with SonicStage software which must be installed inorder to transfer songs.  The thing I don't like is that another music app. has to be installed (complete with having to reboot my PC as part of the process).  It's my understanding that this piece of software converts "mp3" to "oma" which will then allow them to be played on the player.

Is there a list of supported players for MC12 (I couldn't find one)?  If my Sony is supported, will I still need the SonicStage software?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

ballen

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How Do I Determine If MC12 Supports My Sony MP3 Player?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:36:23 pm »

Older Sony players weren't open enough for MC to use.  Newer ones may be.  You can download MC12 and try it.

Some Sony players only played ATRAC (Sony format).  You might be able to get the specs on yours from Sony or Google.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »

Thanks Jim,

It's a Sony NW-S203F which plays mp3s' but if I'm correct Sony's application (SonicStage) wants to convert them to "oma" files inorder for them to be played by the player.

I briefly considered trying MC12's trial but I thought I remember reading, when MC12 first came out, that my existing MC10 libraries and playlists would experience problems if I decided not to proceed with MC12 and wanted to revert back to MC10.  Is this correct?  Is there a link that would clarify converting between MC10 & MC12?

Many thanks,

ballen

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:42:21 pm »

It's a Sony NW-S203F which plays mp3s' but if I'm correct Sony's application (SonicStage) wants to convert them to "oma" files inorder for them to be played by the player.
Sounds like an older player.  That's how they used to work.  Bad idea.
I briefly considered trying MC12's trial but I thought I remember reading, when MC12 first came out, that my existing MC10 libraries and playlists would experience problems if I decided not to proceed with MC12 and wanted to revert back to MC10.  Is this correct?  Is there a link that would clarify converting between MC10 & MC12?
Just back up your MC10 library, and when you install MC12, make sure it's installed in a different directory.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:52:18 pm »

Greatly appreciate your assistance Jim!   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up