INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How often does Auto import run in the background?  (Read 1567 times)

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
How often does Auto import run in the background?
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:25:44 pm »

Primary server is in server room
I've got auto-import set to run in the back ground.
All music is stored on a shared NAS drive (M:\)
Settings are to monitor this NAS drive for any changes

Ripping is being done via a PC in the kitchen (also running JRiver) to the shared NAS
I'm also downloading mp3's m4a's etc to the NAS from the office PC
All settings for ripping are the same on both the kitchen and server PC

When new songs are added from the office PC how long does it take for the primary server JRiver (Which of acutally streams all the music to the house) to pick up the new songs?

Another annomolly is I ripped a CD and no matter what I do it will not import into the primary JRvivers...as if it is not there...but it is definately there. This is only one CD.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How often does Auto import run in the background?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:32:23 pm »

If you are using MC's Library Server on a server PC, and connecting to it from another copy of MC, the library on the client doesn't get updated until you reconnect.   Is that what you mean?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:41:02 pm »

If you are using MC's Library Server on a server PC, and connecting to it from another copy of MC, the library on the client doesn't get updated until you reconnect.

This is one of my gripes with the current system(s) of client/server. Is there any way to set it up so that only the 'server' machine is updated, and the resultant updated library flows through? Does it work in that manner with the Media Server functionality? (even though thats next to useless for video).

The only workaround I can see is to set each client to auto-import (or background import) into their respective copies of the master library - these changes would of course be lost on restart, but at least you'd potentially be able to get all your new files (albeit perhaps not as nicely library-tagged as you normally would)

This brings me to some feature requests ... :)

• Timed (selectable) auto-import of folders, or alternatively/additonally realtime folder monitoring ;)
  • Automatic change detection of master library (for file-based shared libraries), and subsequent auto-update.
  • Automatic tagging of imported folders... i.e. for each auto-import setting, have the ability to add an identifying tag.
  • Improved support for video under the media server. (streaming capable format, yeah gotya, but it works ok under upnp, so why not media server?)

... we now return you to your programmed thread

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:36 am »

If you are using MC's Library Server on a server PC, and connecting to it from another copy of MC, the library on the client doesn't get updated until you reconnect.   Is that what you mean?

Sorry you misunderstand me. I have tried the client/server scenario and unfortunately the features I need are not available right now in JRiver. I am NOT using local PC's to play music.

Let me re-phase my previous post

In this client's home there is a home automation/media server running the entire house. Let's call this the Media Server which is physically located in the basement of the house.

Media Server:
  • Chenbro dual Xeon  hotswap Raid 4 gig ram server.
    NAS is a Chenbro Raid5 2TB hot swap server dedicated for just storing music and cover art.
    Sound card is M-Audio Delta 1010 rack mount
    JRiver is setup to feed the home's distributed audio system as two sources (Delta 1010 1/2 ad 3/4 direct output)
    JRiver is controlled via tablets and touchscreens (Cinemar)
    JRiver is a standard setup...not the client/server way.
    All music is stored on a shared NAS mapped drive  as M:\
    JRiver is set to run autoimport in the background
    JRiver is set to monitor NAS for changes (I think anyways)
    All cover art is stored in a specific folder
    All music is either flac, wma or mp3 or m4a
    JRiver is ALWAYS up an running and is NEVER restarted (unless it crashes)

The kitchen and office PCs each:
  • Have JRiver installed in standard setup.
    JRiver configured identical to that of the Media Server
    Setup to rip to M:\
    All cover art is stored in a specific folder

For ease of use the client needs to be able to rip cd's and download mp3 etc to the NAS from either the office or kitchen PCs. Otherwise the owner has to go down to the basement everytime he needs to manage his music library or add new media.

So, when a CD is ripped from either the kitchen or office to the mapped NAS, how long does it take for JRiver on the Media Server to pick up the new songs? IE It's supposed to be running auto-import in the background and monitoring the NAS for changes. The touchscreens (runing Cinemar's MusicLobby) are only interacting with JRiver on the Media Server so they won't pick up any changes until JRiver on the media server does.

Make sense?

The above diagram illistrates the basic layout of every installation we do. 1 primary server feeding the distributed audio system.

---------------------------------------------------

Not trying to get sidetracked from the original question but this does bring up the whole "client/server" requirements.

Ideally the kitchen and office pc's and Media Server in this house would be a true client/server relationship where you could manage the server's music library, playlists, etc from any number of clients and the clients are not actually playing any music at all. Unfortunately this is not the case so I've had to give the home owner RDP access to the Media Server which is very dangerous as then the homeowner could easily mess something up and crash the entire system by accident. 

In a truly ideal client/server scenario:
  • Clients could delete, edit songs
    Manage the library...IE ratings, genres etc
    Create modify playlists etc to the master auido library
    NOT be able to change the server's system settings to ensure they can't crash the system.
    The Server would automatically pick up changes from clients. IE Playlists, music ripped from the client PC etc.

A  JRiver "watchdog" program that would ensure JRiver automatically restarts if it crashes or hangs would be most helpful. ALL good Home Control and media server software has this latter function to ensure it is always up and running. Just this weekend I had to do an "emergancy" RDP in for the home owner and restart JRiver just before a party as JRiver had crashed for some reason...not good at all. Stability is critical.

I have to say I am really surprised that this client server function is not already there in this day and age of distributed digital audio.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:57:02 pm »

I don't think I can answer your question fully but thought you may be interested to know that from my experience, Auto Import kicks in within around 20 seconds of a change being detected to the watched folder. The AI settings I use are:

• Run Auto Import in background = checked
  • Build thumbnails = checked
  • Fix broken links = Yes (prtect network files)
  • Update for external changes = checked

However: Like yourself, all my media is on a network share(s) and I do experience issues with Auto Import just not working when the share is temporarily disconnected for whatever reason. When this happens, the only way to ressurect AI is to restart MC (on all clients). I've not found a way around this yet.

Re your "watchdog" suggestion, I too think this is a great idea if possible.

Cheers.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:32:16 pm »

Thanks raym.

That answers the question then. Great.

I don't think I can answer your question fully but thought you may be interested to know that from my experience, Auto Import kicks in within around 20 seconds of a change being detected to the watched folder. The AI settings I use are:

• Run Auto Import in background = checked
  • Build thumbnails = checked
  • Fix broken links = Yes (prtect network files)
  • Update for external changes = checked

However: Like yourself, all my media is on a network share(s) and I do experience issues with Auto Import just not working when the share is temporarily disconnected for whatever reason. When this happens, the only way to ressurect AI is to restart MC (on all clients). I've not found a way around this yet.

Re your "watchdog" suggestion, I too think this is a great idea if possible.

Cheers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up