INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fade out on stop uses volume control. Naughty.  (Read 1028 times)

cjdshaw

Fade out on stop uses volume control. Naughty.
« on: August 19, 2002, 02:22:32 pm »

I've just noticed that when I hit stop, MJ does the fade-out by lowering my output volume, not doing it digitally like a crossfade. That works OK on some machines that have analogue out, but my HTPC has USB -> S/PDIF digital out and no master volume control.

For some reason, MJ sees the lack of master output volume on the preferred sound card and grabs the master volume of the crappy onboard sound card. This means I can't adjust the volume from MJ (no big deal) but I don't get fade-outs either. Can we have either:

1) User selects what control the MJ volume slider affects.
or
2) If there's no master volume, MJ uses the Wave volume of the selected sound card
or
3) Digital fade-outs.

Or preferably all 3 :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Fade out on stop uses volume control. Naughty.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 03:26:22 pm »

MJ should use the volume for the selected output device.  Double check Options -> Playback -> Advanced

And we use the volume, because then the fade on stop isn't subject to the latency of the immediate buffers. (but cross-fading and smooth seeking are)

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cjdshaw

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 04:16:42 pm »

Sorry, where's Options -> Playback -> Advanced? I can't see it. I've tried Wave Out and DirectSound with all different settings with no change. I know at least one other person is having this problem:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=12984&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=

> MJ should use the volume for the selected output device

The problem is, the selected output device doesn't have a master volume control. Would it be possible to allow the user to choose between MJ volume controlling master volume and controlling Wave volume?

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13014&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=

Many thanks,

Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 04:23:59 pm »

Yes, it should be optional to control the WAVE volume instead of the MASTER.  

As an aside, there should be an option to peg the WAVE volume automatically on playback, so people aren't throwing away bits without realizing it.

Can you handle waiting a bit for Media Jukebox 9?

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cjdshaw

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 04:31:45 pm »

Yeah. I can live without my fade-outs. If you include half the things you guys have promised, MJ9 should be very cool.
Now if you could just sort out my focus problems

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13105&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=&Marked=

Many thanks,
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up