INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library problem with 294 (vista) [solved]  (Read 1925 times)

thibaud

• Recent member
Library problem with 294 (vista) [solved]
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:53:42 am »

Congrats and hooray for the new grouping feature. (I've been patiently waiting for that one)

but I do have an issue with the latest version:
media center is acting strangely with the library since the install of this latest version.
I never had this problem before.
on vista x64:
I'm using a custom library location and mc suddenly started complaining it could not load that library at startup and loaded the default library.
when trying to switch to the main library once started it then comes with a "database read-only" alert. but the database is obviously not in use by any other users and I couldn't see anything fishy through windows task manager either.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library problem with 294
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:25:46 am »

Maybe another user is logged on and using MC?

thibaud

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:38:34 am »

nope, there aren't any other users.

After struggling a little while ...
this definitely seems to me to be a bug introduced in build .294 ...  after reinstalling build .279, the loading library issues totally vanished.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:00:54 am »

Could you try re-installing 294?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:24:01 pm »

Its a Vista bug. There are several of us with it, but no-ones found the cause.
The easiest solution is to just move your library away from the default folder- Open C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming & copy the whole J River folder to wherever you like. You can then find this new folder in the load library part of MC12.

-Leezer-

thibaud

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:46:17 pm »

Its a Vista bug. There are several of us with it, but no-ones found the cause.
The easiest solution is to just move your library away from the default folder- Open C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming & copy the whole J River folder to wherever you like. You can then find this new folder in the load library part of MC12.

The library causing problem is already in a custom location. and I never had any issue with it before.

Could you try re-installing 294?
just re-installed it. at first start i instantly get an "error loading library" alert window.
no matter what I try, I can't get this library loading in anything else than read only with build .294, again problems resolve as soon as  i reinstall any previous build.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 06:05:44 pm »

Is it running on Vista?

thibaud

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:17 pm »

yes all of this on Vista 64.
and problems are only occurring with build .294

now, i figured a bit more precisely how it's behaving..

I have 2 library one in the default location named "default" and another (more or less of the same content in a custom location - on the same HD the library content resides -) named "RAID6"
when launching mc with the RAID6 library > "error loading library" it then automatically revert to loading the "default" library.
from that point if:
1. I try to select the "RAID6" library instead it gives the "database read-only" alert and loads it in read-only. any consecutive launch of mc with the "RAID6" library selected always give the same result.
2. if I close and restart mc with the "default " library in use. I can then switch to the "RAID6" library without any problems.

Any clues ?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 06:01:38 pm »

yes all of this on Vista 64.
and problems are only occurring with build .294

now, i figured a bit more precisely how it's behaving..

I have 2 library one in the default location named "default" and another (more or less of the same content in a custom location - on the same HD the library content resides -) named "RAID6"
when launching mc with the RAID6 library > "error loading library" it then automatically revert to loading the "default" library.
from that point if:
1. I try to select the "RAID6" library instead it gives the "database read-only" alert and loads it in read-only. any consecutive launch of mc with the "RAID6" library selected always give the same result.
2. if I close and restart mc with the "default " library in use. I can then switch to the "RAID6" library without any problems.

Any clues ?

Very interesting  ?
Thats exactly the same behaviour myself and others are seeing, but with the library in a different place this time.
AFAIK no-one else with this issue is on VistaX64, but its solely a Vista problem.
Has this system been upgraded from XP at all (Or for that matter any of its drives used/ formatted on XP)- A pretty common thread between all the occurances so far is the presence of XP in one form or another.

The previous thread in question- Nothing really helpful here except some wild speculation & others with very similar issues http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41092.0

-Leezer-

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 12:39:59 am »

I have had the same problem but with build 279. I just installed 294 thinking it was some glitch in the earlier build.   I am running Vista (32 bit).  I thought it was something odd with my setup, although I have never had any issues with my library under XP.  When you launch MC, it will tell me the library is corrupt and will not load like the others have described.  I have found that if you just load a new empty library, then go back and try to load the original it works fine.  Backup libraries work fine too.  It just seems to be an issue at load up, specifically after a reboot.  I didn't really do a lot of testing since I thought it was unique to me.  But I will see if it pops up under 294 as well.    It definitely seems to be a Vista only issue since I have a dual boot box with XP and have never had this error. 

thibaud

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:06:12 pm »

I can"t say what's causing it but My problem is definitely reproducible and mc just can't load the custom library when starting up and only with build .294
I want to precise the only way for me to load that library is :

1.> start mc
2.>click through the error loading library alerts.
3.>close mc (with the default library it had automatically switched to)
4.>restart mc and manually switch to my custom library.

and back to number 2 each time I launch mc

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:14:39 pm »

The parent poster might want to add "with vista" to the topic of the thread in the first post , so you get more ppl with MC on vista viewing this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Library problem with 294 (vista)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:17 am »

Solved with build 301.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library problem with 294 (vista)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 04:18:53 pm »

Solved with build 301.

Is that for everyone (IE. those of us with the library in the default location) or just when it affects custom library locations?

Cheers

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up