INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filling a Comment field: not all text inserted  (Read 2569 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Filling a Comment field: not all text inserted
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:04:13 am »

Hi,

In previous versions of MC I was able to copy/paste text into the Comment field with hardly any restriction. But if I do it in version 12 it doesn't work well. As soon as a line break is in the text MC cut the rest of the text off - from that place on text isn't inserted.
Am I doing something wrong?
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Filling a Comment field: not all text inserted
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 06:20:51 am »

In previous versions of MC I was able to copy/paste text into the Comment field with hardly any restriction.

Not exactly, the amount of text is not restricted, but you cannot use the Enter key for breaking the lines unless the library field is defined as "Edit Type: Large Value". This has not changed from MC11.1.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:07:27 am »

yup.
no version 11 installed around here atm, but I feel pretty sure that if you copied text with line breaks from, say, notepad, into the MC [comment] field, it would accept the text, line breaks and all. Viewing wasn't up to much mind you, only the first line on show, but on hitting F2 and then the 'down' cursor key, the next line would then be shown.

With all that in mind, the way v12 works is probably better, save for the fact that a warning (with a don't show again option) ought to be shown to indicate that line breaks are not supported in the comment field.

A comment should, imo, just be a short, single line affair. Anything more, especially to the extent of several lines, is more suited for use in the [notes] field, where there is "large value" editing by default.

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 08:10:27 am »

no version 11 installed around here atm, but I feel pretty sure that if you copied text with line breaks from, say, notepad, into the MC [comment] field, it would accept the text, line breaks and all. Viewing wasn't up to much mind you, only the first line on show, but on hitting F2 and then the 'down' cursor key, the next line would then be shown.

I actually tried that before posting. MC11.1 behaved exactly like MC12. The text was truncated on the first line break. The down cursor key opens only the usual drop-down menu for field values from the other files.

Edit

"The down cursor key opens only the usual drop-down menu for field values from the other files" -- this happens in AW > Tag Info. In the main pane the down key opens the comment field of the next file in the list.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:56:23 am »

it was quite some time ago. I know for sure I've seen line breaks in the comment field in MC before. Perhaps they were comments saved by different software?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:37:25 pm »

Do I understand correctly (English is not my native language) that I can not copy-paste from Notepad because of the line-breaks? I'm sure I could in the versions before 12.0.
I think that's pretty annoying.
Especially since I'm still able to use line-breaks in the lyrics-field. I'd say these fields should be pretty much the same.

Then again: if "the library field is defined as "Edit Type: Large Value" does the trick it's fine by me. But HOW do I do that?
Mark Coutinho

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:48:15 pm »

Bumpe-di-bump again...
Anyone, please?

Do I understand correctly (English is not my native language) that I can not copy-paste from Notepad because of the line-breaks? I'm sure I could in the versions before 12.0.
Especially since I'm still able to use line-breaks in the lyrics-field. I'd say these fields should be pretty much the same.

Then again: if "the library field is defined as "Edit Type: Large Value" does the trick it's fine by me. But HOW do I do that?

Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

That is not possible with MC12, MC11.1 or MC10. I just tested these versions.

You can add text with "enter" characters in the comment field with some other programs. MC shows the line feed characters as two squares (a bit like this: [] [] ) and the whole text is displayed in one line, which is next to useless.

You cannot change the Edit Type value of the standard library fields. "Comment" is one of standard fields. I think only the Lyrics field uses the "Edit Type: Large Value" setting.

However, you can add as many "Large Value" user fields as you like. They will all work like the Lyrics field.

Personally I have created "Comment 2" and "Bios" large value fields.

You can create new and edit old user fields here:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > User Library Fields

The standard fields can be accessed here:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Standard Library Fields

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »

Alright, Alex, thanks for this very clear information.
I don't know how I've gotten my fields filled with line breaks in the past, but that doesn't matter anymore.
I will start to make a new Comment 2 - field and use that one as my primary Comment - field.

Thanks again!
Mark Coutinho

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 03:27:11 pm »

don't forget there's a default [Notes] field available that is "large value" edit type

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 03:37:58 pm »

don't forget there's a default [Notes] field available that is "large value" edit type

I had forgotten that field. Perhaps Mark has used the Notes field instead of the Comment field.

Because MC12 resets the old column configurations when a previous version library is imported it is easy to forget things like that.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:22 am »

Ah, great. Actually that field is even better for what I want to use it for: information about a song.
Thanks Marko!
Mark Coutinho

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:16:55 am »

Found a workaround for this problem: if you put the information in the Notes-field, you can copy this field within MC (Library Tools - Move/Copy Fields) to the Comment-field and voila: all text is copied, including the [Enter]-lines (or whatever they may be called).
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up