INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVI file problem in MC12  (Read 1060 times)

samfish

AVI file problem in MC12
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:30:14 am »

Hi,
I have a feeling there's something incredibly obvious that I'm missing here, but for the life of me, I'm stumped..!
When I import .AVI files into Media Center, it puts them under the audio section.  Even dragging them from the audio tab to the video tab doesn't work, nor does importing work nor dragging and dropping from a folder into the Video tab/screen work. 

How do I get Media Center to recognize that .AVI files are in fact video, not audio, files?

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: AVI file problem in MC12
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 03:11:24 am »

I can't say why this might be happening but check the "Media Type" tag for the file(s) in question and set it to "Video".

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:40:42 am »

I have never seen AVI files ending up in the audio section, but possibly you don't have a correct DirectShow filter (or filters) for the files. AVI is a container format that can hold many kinds of video and audio data. As said, you can try to change the "Media Type" field value to video, but that does not help if you have file playback problems too.

Glynor has written a comprehensive DirectShow guide in the Media Center wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:15:46 am »

What file type is inside the AVI?

You can hand edit the Media Type field in the tag to move them.

samfish

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:44:43 pm »

Thanks for your replies!
It turns out that the files just didn't have the .AVI extension in the filename.  I guess that's what I get from pulling everything over from a Mac?  As soon as I added that and brought them back to MC, it immediately recognized it as a video and all is well. 
It's odd, though, because I also have .MP4 files without an extension and MC recognized those as video just fine. 
Perhaps this is something to keep an eye out for in a future update?

Anyhow, thank you again for all your help!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 09:40:35 pm »

FYI - I just got this rebuilding my Library on the new HTPC box.  My MPEG4/AVI video files where put into Audio...I presume as I have not loaded CCCP / FFDSHOW yet - the would only play an audio track no video - hence that made sence.

The odd thing was that while I could play both Audio/Video fine after loading CCCP/FFDSHOW they would still be reimported into my library with "Audio" as the media type (eg after remove from library, run Auto-Import). 

Editing the Media Type works fine.

Thanks
Nahtan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up